Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Drive inn theatres.
All are gone here in Des Moines, Iowa. Although I think Marshalltown and Fort Dodge still regularly operate theirs.
I know you think we are way behind but land w/ in the city has been gobbled up quickly since 1980. Sadly many very old brick family daireys and farms have fallen to McDonalds, subdivisions and wealthy speculators.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
What comes immediately to my mind is outdoor theaters and those salve applicators that were a fabric ball dauber on the end of a thin twisted stem of metal.

Last edited:

JFriday

New in Town
We only just deactivated our fire boxes last year -- we hosted a charity auction at work the other night and one of the boxes was auctioned off to benefit our local Main Street Association. Sold for $125 with a fresh coat of red enamel. Meanwhile I was looking out the window at the box still mounted on the building across the street, all "X-d" out with tape, and thinking about the hacksaw and the bolt cutters in the trunk of my car.

Not that I could condone the use of the hacksaw, but there seem times that that is one of the few options left to preserve fading bits of history. Glad to hear that the one was auctioned off for a good cause. Hopefully they will continue to transfer the remaining ones into an honourable retirement in similar fashion. I think the other reflection I have on the passing of these and like devices is the loss of communal focus that has developed in society. I am a rather private individual, but in some ways mourn the loss of a freestanding option to summon aid for the public good, where now the responsibility is mine to carry a telecommunications device to summon the authorities where needed.

Tango Yankee points out the emergence of the call stations for Police service, and they have arrived here as well in limited numbers, similarly in parking lots and a few remote parks and recreational areas. The change there is the switch from complete community coverage to a more targeted system, and that the structural elegance and the likely longevity has diminished rather severely, most of our old police (patrol officer oriented) call boxes and fire boxes stood guard for decades with little maintenance, these new stations seem out of service as often as in functioning mode. Just reflections, glad to hear that some others still share both recollections and current interest.

Stay safe,
Friday

Tango Yankee points out the emergence of the call stations for Police service, and they have arrived here as well in limited numbers, similarly in parking lots and a few remote parks and recreational areas. The change there is the switch from complete community coverage to a more targeted system, and that the structural elegance and the likely longevity has diminished rather severely, most of our old police (patrol officer oriented) call boxes and fire boxes stood guard for decades with little maintenance, these new stations seem out of service as often as in functioning mode. Just reflections, glad to hear that some others still share both recollections and current interest.

Slightly Off Topic but in Victorian times, before the advent of modern communications, it was standard police practice to assign officers to fixed point duty. Stationed at strategic points throughout a city such as London, the fixed point men served as a kind of human call box or telegraph. When a member of the public needed police assistance he or she would seek out the nearest fixed point man who would then summon help with the aid of his whistle or bullseye lamp from officers on the beat or relay the call to the next fixed point man. Strangely, under no circumstances was the fixed point man allowed to leave his post, even to render assistance himself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany