Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Riding in the back of a pickup truck thanks to the seatbelt laws. :(

This is still very common in Hawaii and is legal for anyone over the age of 12. That age restriction is actually pretty recent (1998 or so). While I did this a fair bit growing up it was mostly on back roads going pretty slow. Its a little worrying to see it on the highway at 65mph or so with 5-6 kids in the back...

dnjan

One Too Many
Riding in the back of a pickup truck thanks to the seatbelt laws. :(
My wife witnessed a dog in the back of a pick-up get bounced out and hit by another vehicle. Could have easily happened to a kid if one had been in the back.

So I guess that with the increase in speeds plus the deterioration of the roads, I am not heartbroken to see an end to riding in the back of pick-ups.
At least on highways.

Talbot

One Too Many
^^^must have been distressing to see. Riding in the back of a pick up is not legal in any circumstances here.

Payphones where you had to roll the coin in when you got 'the tone'.

Red rattler trains (its a Melbourne thing)

Standing for the National Anthem at the cinema.

Getting soda siphons recharged at the pub.

Red lemonade made with grenadine

As a kid patiently waiting for TV services to commence on Saturday morning.

TV test patterns.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^^^
We had them in Sydney too. I loved them. This picture is Lidcombe Station 1971. The rattlers were phased out during the early 80's.
7552968082_c90eee53dd.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
We called the PRR MP54 cars Red Rattlers. I miss transit vehicles with windows that opened. Nothing like a cool spring evening ride with the smell of honeysuckle wafting through the car and the clickety-clack of the stick rail beneath.
Tom D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I miss ushers & usherettes at the cinema. This picture is was taken at The Capitol Theatre Sydney 1930.
7553062260_a1900ba55c.jpg

I've seen ushers/usherettes at theatres, but none at cinemas. For a person like me, I think it's a big inconvenience. My eyesight is fine for watching movies, but finding my way to my seat in a cinema is tricky and frustrating. It would be nice to have someone there to show me the way...

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^^^^
My father in law managed cinemas until the late 80's & he always hired ushers & usherettes (though they never looked as good as the fellows in the picture). Then again he never managed a multiplex. I supposed they stopped hiring them when the multiplex (and unreserved seating) became the norm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred