Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I approve of the melting pot -- the idea was to create a healthy America blending together the best of the cultures it assimilated. But it didn't mean, for example, living your life pretending to be Italian -- by accumulating as many stereotypical Italian traits as possible -- if you were really Irish. That's what this "southernification" thing seems to be doing -- causing people with the deepest of Yankee roots to go around saying "y'all" and eating grits when they were raised saying "ayuh" and eating johnnycake.

I approve of the melting pot -- the idea was to create a healthy America blending together the best of the cultures it assimilated. But it didn't mean, for example, living your life pretending to be Italian -- by accumulating as many stereotypical Italian traits as possible -- if you were really Irish. That's what this "southernification" thing seems to be doing -- causing people with the deepest of Yankee roots to go around saying "y'all" and eating grits when they were raised saying "ayuh" and eating johnnycake.

:rofl: I figured as much. :p

Tread lightly on the grits thing, my friends. ;)

Yes, thank you. I can see as how it can be a bit slippery. :D:p

depositphotos_5735324-Caution-slippery-floor-sign.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've never known anyone to fry grits in bacon grease, and I've lived in the South my entire life. I also have quite a bit of my family that lived "in the country" which is where I get my background from, especially my cooking. Grits are boiled in water, just like oatmeal, adding salt and pepper to suit your taste once it's firmed up. As for this "pseudosouthern movement" that's occurred as a result of Larry The Cable Guy, I can honestly say that I grew tired of him shortly after his act got big. There is a certain percentage of the Southern population that identify with LTCG, but not all of us do. We don't all drink beer, watch NASCAR, dip snuff, and fry everything before we eat it. We don't all own trucks, (even though I did own an Elcamino SS at one time, but that's not really a truck), say YALL, and marry our cousin (if they are already married you can't marry them because that's bigamy and it's against the law :) ).
Some of us are well educated, wine drinking, health conscious people, that can color coordinate their outfits without matching animals on the shirts and pants.
And it is beyond me WHY NASCAR is so big. Cars take a left, so? Now Professional Wrestling or Wrasling as it's known in these parts, I know why that's big, because it's real. ;)

To steer us back on track, I'll say "getting what you pay for." While abstract as it may seem, even up to my teens, people stood behind their product and still worked hard to make it good.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never known anyone to fry grits in bacon grease, and I've lived in the South my entire life.

It's cornmeal mush cakes, not hominy, that you fry in bacon grease -- it's a New England thing, and one of our finer culinary institutions, one that's been sadly sacrificed on the altar of Tut Tut Tut Don't Eat That You Got To Watch Your Cholesterol.

I've had grits, and can take them or leave them -- they're an effective delivery system for butter and salt, though, I'll give them that.

I always saw "Larry The Cable Guy" as a rather crude minstrel-show representation of a working class Southerner -- so why he should become some sort of iconic figure makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited:
It's cornmeal mush cakes, not hominy, that you fry in bacon grease -- it's a New England thing, and one of our finer culinary institutions, one that's been sadly sacrificed on the altar of Tut Tut Tut Don't Eat That You Got To Watch Your Cholesterol.

I've had grits, and can take them or leave them -- they're an effective delivery system for butter and salt, though, I'll give them that.

Yep..that's exactly how my Mother and GrandMother made cornmeal mush! Fried crispy around the edges. They both are gone now and nobody seems to make it the same anymore. Would love to have some with coffee in the morning!
Best grits I've ever had comes from around Charleston (LowCountry). Creamy..buttery...and to die for!
HD

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
So I suppose it wouldn't shock you Lizzie, to know grits have no nutritional value. :)
My wife eats them every day, for who knows why.
And the ones she eats are "instant" Blah....
Fried cornmeal does sound interesting. Never had it though, since I've never crossed the line...you know the Mason-Dixon line.
Maybe one day....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot