Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

:doh:

Twinkies.jpg

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Moving away from zombie snacks, when was the last time anyone here saw someone else take up pencil and paper and do any mathematical calculation ?

I was among the last of the high school students, class of '71, in this area to be instructed on the use of the slide rule, and I have a small collection of those. While I don't expect people to be using slide rules I am astonished, though I really should not be, that simple math problems require electronic devices for their solution.

dnjan

One Too Many
Ah yes, slide rules!
Best invention, ever, for dry-labbing.
I teach, and often use my slide rule to make up data for exams that is just good enough to look real but not so perfect as to give the question away.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I was never a Hostess fan myself, but I'm going to miss Drake's Cakes. There's times when nothing but a Ring Ding will do.

Hello LizzieMaine ,I have to tell you eveything seems to be going by the way side myself included ! [huh]

As I always like to read through Threads , When I read your starter post from back a few years ago , I was like " wow I forgot all about the "little smoking bombs with a wick " and man my mind raced back to where I grew up and I was like " yea , I remember those things to a tee" ,I could even picture them in my mind BUT I had totally forgotten about them , just like do you remember the street lights that had the baked enamel reflector and a real just regular lightbulb in it for a street light, compared to a street light of today , HOLY COW I feel ancient!!

All the BEST , Fashion Frank

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not having read everything before me for the past few days...one thing we can all miss now..."Hostess Twinkies"......the ultimate junk food but wow, I sure will miss them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They may even be back without a sale -- the company and the union have been ordered into arbitration, and it's expected there'll be a settlement.

Meanwhile, I hope the yokels who paid hundreds and thousands of dollars for Twinkies on eBay enjoy their treats.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Ah yes, slide rules!
Best invention, ever, for dry-labbing.
I teach, and often use my slide rule to make up data for exams that is just good enough to look real but not so perfect as to give the question away.

I am especially fond of the K&E Cooke's Radio Slide Rule which goes with Mathematics for Electricians and Radiomen by Nelson M.Cooke (McGraw-Hill).

Ah, nostalgia - but still perfectly useful, no batteries required. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR