Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Both are dear to my heart. In the movie Animal House there is a scene of a test being handed out and the students all do the smell test.

Video was making it's way into my high school in the last couple of years so there was less times when a film got stuck and you watched it melt on the screen.

In my grade school the Music teacher would come to the class room with an electric piano on a cart.

Nuclear war drills - Let's all drop and cover in the hallway!

Every year for a while we got new Milk containers that were sealed in many different and imaginative ways. The waxed cartons were yelchy.

Nuclear War Drills? Stop,bend over,stick your head between your legs and kiss your a@@ goodbye.Did I pass?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had an air raid siren on a pole on the street where I grew up -- it was right in front of my cousin's house. Every day at 11:30am and every night at 9:15 they'd test it -- and if you happened to be standing in front of it when it went off, you jumped thirty feet in the air. We used to use that pole for jump rope -- there was a big hunk of ships' rope tied to it, and we'd pull that out into the street, one person turning the rope and the other jumping. And we'd always forget what time it was, and that siren would go off, and you never, ever got used to it.

Whenever I hear an air raid siren in a movie, all I can think of is being eight years old and jumping rope.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
We had an air raid siren on a pole on the street where I grew up -- it was right in front of my cousin's house. Every day at 11:30am and every night at 9:15 they'd test it -- and if you happened to be standing in front of it when it went off, you jumped thirty feet in the air. We used to use that pole for jump rope -- there was a big hunk of ships' rope tied to it, and we'd pull that out into the street, one person turning the rope and the other jumping. And we'd always forget what time it was, and that siren would go off, and you never, ever got used to it.

Whenever I hear an air raid siren in a movie, all I can think of is being eight years old and jumping rope.

Specially for Lizzie...

[video=youtube;PP61LI41mgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP61LI41mgs[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We always interpreted the 11:30 siren as "the dinner whistle," and the 9:15 meant the kids had better come in off the street. If there had ever been an actual air raid, you'd have seen an entire town checking its watches before heading to the shelter.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Specially for Lizzie...

[video=youtube;PP61LI41mgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP61LI41mgs[/video]

And all that comes to mind is "My mother and your mother were hangin' out clothes. My mother hit your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood? Red! Blue! Green! Yellow! Purple! Burnt Umber! Chartreuse!," ad infinitum until you run out of colors or miss the rope.

That's another vintage thing that's disappeared -- kids singing bloodthirsty jump rope rhymes.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:
The air raid siren in town is right behind my place, probably 50 feet or so away from my door. It goes off at noon and if I'm outside, or the windows are open, never fails to startle me!

It's silly that some people take things so seriously. I think us Loungers are perhaps more gifted than others in laughing it off. I know in my own experience, if I am legitimately offended by something, people immediately write my feelings off as being because my mindset is antiquated. So, it's easier to laugh it off, and there's no point in taking life too seriously anyways, none of us will get out alive.

There are things worth being offended about, but there certainly is value in laughing off the more pointless aspects of modern life. If I myself didn't laugh them off, I'd be in a rubber room.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I personally feel that people these days get FAR too offended over things which are not worth getting offended over, and which aren't meant to be worth, or which are not, offensive, or not supposed to be offensive.

I draw your attention to a news-story which I recall from a few years back, concerning a grandmother.

She had taken her grandchildren to the local community swimming-pool. The pool had been closed for maintenance.

Hanging on the gate was a sign which read: "POOL CLOSED!", in a speech-bubble, with the face of a black man attached to it.

The lady (black herself), was immediately offended by the inherent "Racism" that bans her grandchildren from using the local pool. And she kicked up a fuss, even AFTER the maintenance men explained the purpose and nature of the sign.

I do my best not to get offended by things, and I honestly think that I don't get into a fuss over minor things that might be deemed offensive, for the pure reason that it's not worth it, or that getting offended somehow showcases...what's the word..."insecurity", perhaps? I'm not sure. Something like that.

Stormy

A-List Customer
In my opinion, public education is a vintage thing that has disappeared in my lifetime. Educators are now expected to brainwash learners. This is one of the many reasons I've left the profession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL