Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Note that the countries with the highest taxes on fuel are those which historically had negligable oil reserves. Very early on in the Automobile Age it was realized that the cost of imported fuel could be a seriously destabilizing force, as large imports of fuel would tend to drain an economy of foreign exchange (gold, in those days). A regime of heavy taxation was put into place to limit demand and manage this drain of the economy. Such taxation never took hold here in the 'States because we were at the time the world's great exporter or oil products, and this heavy taxation would have made no sense.
And it still doesn't.

Someone had listed this someplace and it is a thing I run into all the time now.
Today no one seems to ask if you have certain devices or the latest programs.
It was described as "the assumption of technology."

It is assumed you have the lastest Smart Phone, the latest version of Microsoft, the latest blah, blah, blah hyped tripe.

With 4D technology!

Not assuming responsibility for ______________________________ (fill in the blank).

Mostly it starts with not being responsible for oneself. Which is also linked to the concept of fading individual rights and replacing them with Group Rights. A pernicious concept that automatically sets up an "Us vs Them" or "victim group versus everyone else" idea. This way it is offered as a "we first" ploy but actually it is just a "me first" ploy.

Mostly it starts with not being responsible for oneself. Which is also linked to the concept of fading individual rights and replacing them with Group Rights. A pernicious concept that automatically sets up an "Us vs Them" or "victim group versus everyone else" idea. This way it is offered as a "we first" ploy but actually it is just a "me first" ploy.
That ends up being a group tyranny like you see in the Middle East. :eusa_doh:

Someone had listed this someplace and it is a thing I run into all the time now.

It is assumed you have the lastest Smart Phone, the latest version of Microsoft, the latest blah, blah, blah hyped tripe.

With 4D technology!
The assumption of technology is usually done by children---and the adult equivalent.

With 4D technology!
I've run into this twice recently--once dealing with problems with our house phone, and once dealing with problems connecting to the Internet. In both instances the technician(s) I spoke to on the phone seemed to believe everyone has spare telephone and computer parts lying around their houses just in case of such "emergencies". :eusa_doh:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've run into this twice recently--once dealing with problems with our house phone, and once dealing with problems connecting to the Internet. In both instances the technician(s) I spoke to on the phone seemed to believe everyone has spare telephone and computer parts lying around their houses just in case of such "emergencies". :eusa_doh:
You don't have at least 2 phones joined together in the floor of the closet, by a big ball of wires that could take hours to unravel?;)
I'd like to speak to a technician that doesn't give me a scripted answer, and that speaks where I can understand them.
In this day and age, you get neither...

fashion frank

One Too Many
I'd like to speak to a technician that doesn't give me a scripted answer, and that speaks where I can understand them.

Man oh man you said a mouthful.
Take that a step further , first I'd like to talk to a real, live, breathing human instead of those "rotary operator's " that give you the "press 1 for English" etc .etc. etc. and what really get's me going is when the recorded voice states
" thank you for your cooperation " like as if you had a choice in the matter in the first place they have your a**on hold what are you suppose to do ,
hang up ??

All the Best , Fashion Frank

You don't have at least 2 phones joined together in the floor of the closet, by a big ball of wires that could take hours to unravel?;)
I'd like to talk to a person who isn't named "John" that I can understand. You get people from all over the world today. The last time I asked where they were, it was from some country that I couldn't pronounce....:rolleyes:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I actually ran into that awhile back James.
2 different companies (one medical one AT&T) and I asked if they were sitting next to each other.
I don't think the AT&T girl got the joke.
Her name btw was Sonia, and she couldn't pronounce it. ;)

I actually ran into that awhile back James.
2 different companies (one medical one AT&T) and I asked if they were sitting next to each other.
I don't think the AT&T girl got the joke.
Her name btw was Sonia, and she couldn't pronounce it. ;)
They probably were sitting next to each other. :p The names they choose to make them sound like they are over here are hilarious. "Hello my name is Meeeeelvin. How can I help you?" :rofl: Riiiiggghhhtttt.....

...first I'd like to talk to a real, live, breathing human instead of those "rotary operator's " that give you the "press 1 for English" etc .etc. etc....
Oh, don't get me started. What's worse is when you call for technical support, go through their automated "assistant" that has you perform any number of tasks to no avail, then you finally get to talk to a human being and that person asks you do exactly the same thing. :mmph:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy