Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I've seen shows like Brit Cops and Motorway Cops and it blew my mind to see people merely getting a "caution" for offenses that would be serious ones in the US.
They even let them get away for property crimes without jail sentences! Go ahead and rob your neighbor but pay a fine and everything is fine. :doh: Oh and Russia is actually the biggest incarcerator of their population. Go figure. lol lol lol

Thank you, I have been a proponent of caning ever since that idiot American kid was caned in China. I truly believe it will cure many a miscreant from negative behavior just as a paddling did in elementary school way back when.
:D
Boy did it. I still remember Principal Edwards.......then they replaced him with a touchy feely woman when he retired. :rolleyes: I couldn't work up much of a sweat thinking I might end up going to the principal's office. :rofl:

Boy did it. I still remember Principal Edwards.......then they replaced him with a touchy feely woman when he retired. :rolleyes: I couldn't work up much of a sweat thinking I might end up going to the principal's office. :rofl:

Principal Messick was a jolly stocky man who seemed to delight in swinging the paddle just so that we could hear the eerie whistling sound it made. He would tell us how much he hated to use it yet we still got the feeling he enjoyed it. We loved, respected, and feared him, as we should have.

Principal Messick was a jolly stocky man who seemed to delight in swinging the paddle just so that we could hear the eerie whistling sound it made. He would tell us how much he hated to use it yet we still got the feeling he enjoyed it. We loved, respected, and feared him, as we should have.
Fear is a great motivating force. I have always said that I would rather be feared than loved. :p

Just think of all the time you would save if they feared you instead. :p

I almost never suspend as a result of negative behavior directed towards me or occurring in my classroom. 99% of suspensions or campus beautifications I hand out result in offenses that occur in another teacher's classroom. As I said previously, they know that I am a man of my word. There are consequences for negative behaviors and I am okay with meting out those consequences.

I almost never suspend as a result of negative behavior directed towards me or occurring in my classroom. 99% of suspensions or campus beautifications I hand out result in offenses that occur in another teacher's classroom. As I said previously, they know that I am a man of my word. There are consequences for negative behaviors and I am okay with meting out those consequences.
Campus beautification? Is that when you make them dress like humans?

Campus beautification? Is that when you make them dress like humans?

We have a dress code that is enforced. We also have the cleanest campus in our district as well as lowest number of suspensions. Our kids typically enjoy our site and do not want the boot that awaits those who will not abide. We typically have a really good crop of kids.

We have a dress code that is enforced. We also have the cleanest campus in our district as well as lowest number of suspensions. Our kids typically enjoy our site and do not want the boot that awaits those who will not abide. We typically have a really good crop of kids.
You must have some kind of private/public school(charter) because you won't find that around here. :p

You must have some kind of private/public school(charter) because you won't find that around here. :p

It is not difficult to do and still have fun. Kids want boundaries. They want discipline. It is easier on them if they know that if they cross certain lines that there will be repercussions. Stability is important and makes them feel safe. Besides, it is at the very least, our job.

It is not difficult to do and still have fun. Kids want boundaries. They want discipline. It is easier on them if they know that if they cross certain lines that there will be repercussions. Stability is important and makes them feel safe. Besides, it is at the very least, our job.
Oh, now I know you ain't from around here! Government schools here have teachers who are just concerned about when they can retire and at how much. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24