Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Yes...its a variation on it....Methiolate is a -trademarked- name.....

We called it mercurochrome too......possible its a region thing....

We had both mercurochrome and merthiolate. They looked similar, but there was definitely a difference. Merthioliolate hurt more than the injury it treated, mercurochrome didn't hurt much at all. Given the choice, I opted for mercurochrome and I was very careful to check the label before putting it on.

Of course, merthiolate must have worked better, because it hurt so much more.

Besides cuts and scrapes, my mother treated my sore throat by swabbing it with merthiolate on a cotton ball.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
I've never been, but there's still the Wigwam Motel in Rialto, CA and the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ
DSC01376.JPG

http://www.wigwammotel.com
http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

Hahaha my Dad had a car like that but in red...
A 1959 Chev Bel Air.. I have a baby picture, somewhere, of me looking out the window... So that was after 1964...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
I've been told that was to protect the parcel-deliverers from robbery.

Another reason C.O.D. might have gone the way of the dinosaurs is the ease with which people could commit fraud with it. When I was in high school, somebody thought it would be funny to order and send every product advertised on TV to my family's house C.O.D. :eek: We had to send it all back. My parents weren't very amused, and neither was our mailman...

eldonkr

Familiar Face
I remember the rotary phone. My mother used to have an old french rotary phone.

Type writers. I have an really old one that I've been planning on cleaning up and restoring. Some libraries still have them for rent. When I was in high school I used to go to the public library and use the type writers. I tried to write a dime novel but all the machines were a quarter.

Cassette tapes, CD's are all but dead. They're only around for those who cant afford iPods.

Full service gas stations, even though there is one in town.

Drive-ins except here we have ralleighs and down south they have sonic.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
eldonkr said:
I remember the rotary phone. My mother used to have an old french rotary phone.

Type writers. I have an really old one that I've been planning on cleaning up and restoring. Some libraries still have them for rent. When I was in high school I used to go to the public library and use the type writers. I tried to write a dime novel but all the machines were a quarter.

Cassette tapes, CD's are all but dead. They're only around for those who cant afford iPods.

Full service gas stations, even though there is one in town.

Drive-ins except here we have ralleighs and down south they have sonic.

Still lots of gas stations here that pump your gas because of a local bylaw...
And i don't think cd's are going anywhere just yet because they are a more stable storage device than mp3's and other digital media..

In defense of MUSIC

eldonkr said:
CD's are all but dead. They're only around for those who cant afford iPods.
The overly compressed sounds that eminate from an ipod is ANTI-MUSIC. Accoustically the ipod is a step backwards from an eight-track tape player and not much better than Edison's first record player.

While an audiophile system set up for playing vinyl is still superior to CD's, on a reasonably good system, a boom box or a walkman audio -wise CD's, HDCD's and SACD's will out perform any ipod as they are reproducing music that is there not music with the life compressed out of it.

DerMann

Practically Family
Oddly enough, on the topic of CoD, I just purchased a pipe online and the only form of payment the store accepts is CoD.

Odd. $6 shipping, too.

pgoat

One Too Many
Downtube shifters on bikes. A younger rider I met recently exclaimed when he saw my old racing bike - "ooh, neat! Suicide shifts!"

2006092.jpg

Wool jerseys also disappeared from the pro ranks in the late 70s, but replicas are still sold. Expensive, but they work way better than the synthetics.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This one is for Diamondback. And it's only marginally vintage, but what the hey.
The good old C 141. They're basically all used up, worn out, and finished. But it was a fine airplane in its day.
I could broaden that to include all piston driven passenger airplanes, I guess particularly the beautiful Lockheed Constellation.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Dhermann mentioned the Connie. About 30 years ago my wife and I flew our club Cessna 150 to a small airport in rural northern NJ to tour a Constellation that had been flown in and became a static display. It could never be flown out again since the runway was too short. We haven't been there since then so I don't know if it has been maintained or has sadly deteriorated. Yes it was the queen of her day in the airline industry.

dhermann1 said:
This one is for Diamondback. And it's only marginally vintage, but what the hey.
The good old C 141. They're basically all used up, worn out, and finished. But it was a fine airplane in its day.

Used up, my foot! Well worn, yes, but I'll bet if one were to find its way into my hands I could probably get another 20 years out of it with some maintenance and maybe a little parts-replacement (would you believe the single section that leads to B-52 retirement on flight-time's usually the upper-center wing skin?)--the big catch is they need the engines to keep the B-52s up, since the Pentagon pencil-pushers are too stupid to see the advantages of modern propulsion, particularly in fuel-burn...

We still have a 141 parked at McChord, IIRC, in an annex to the Museum's airpark. (Dan, did you post that knowing that a base formerly full of 'em's practically my back yard?lol)
----------------
Now playing: John Barry - This Never Happened To The Other Feller
via FoxyTunes

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
LelaViavonie said:
Its been soo long since I have been to a sonic.. I need to find one :)

According to a friend of mine, who drives for a living and loves fast food - especially Sonic (and anywhere that serves barbeque) - about the only one around Southern California anymore is somewhere in Orange County. He couldn't tell me exactly where, but he's hoping for one to appear nearer his home in Simi Valley.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn