Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Fletch said:
It's a problem when retail companies are so totally numbers-driven. They have to hire cheaply and control their people as tightly as their costs, and that means you don't want employees who are too smart.

Is this why they can't count back change??:eusa_doh: lol

I really do find it annoying to be handed an large mass consisting of a wad of bills, a receipt, and pile of change balanced on top. So, when I do find workers who will count me back my change, I always make it a point to thank them.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
And is it too hard for qualified immigrants to enter Canada?

Hell, if things get as bad as some predict, you might have Americans trying to get in...

Since i was born in Canada i have no idea what the rules are for working here.
Last time i heard the USA had a population of about 300 million...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
Is this why they can't count back change??:eusa_doh: lol

I really do find it annoying to be handed an large mass consisting of a wad of bills, a receipt, and pile of change balanced on top. So, when I do find workers who will count me back my change, I always make it a point to thank them.

Another good idea would be to thank the manager, or whoever is in charge of hiring and training.. Perhaps if companies realize that we value things like this they might, just maybe, get the hint?
I don't shop alot of places because the service is so poor.. Several places are large Canadian and International chains.. One of them starts with W and ends with mart...

Rachael

A-List Customer
I was sorting patterns today, and caught a whiff of an old familiar smell. Turns out one of my Past Patterns was mimeographed! It was tempting to spend the rest of the morning sniffing the packet instead of sewing.

Sunny

One Too Many
Rachael said:
I was sorting patterns today, and caught a whiff of an old familiar smell. Turns out one of my Past Patterns was mimeographed! It was tempting to spend the rest of the morning sniffing the packet instead of sewing.
*digs out own Past Patterns to investigate in the spirit of science*

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
My world, and welcome to it!

In the world outside of my house there are no longer any candlestick dial telephones, radios that only receive AM stations, clocks that go tick,tick,tick and need to be wound everyday, along with wrist-watches of the same type, nor record machines that need no electricity because they're operated by a crank. Inside my house it's a different story; there, I wind my watches and clocks everyday while listening to some 1920's jazz record on my Graphonola, then, if I feel like it, I pick up one of several of my dial telephones, perhaps a 1910 candlestick, or a 1920's or 1930's desk telephone and call somebody. Last year when we had a long power failure in my area and nothing requiring electricity was working, I invited a couple of neighbors over and we sat around in candle light, listening to records on the Graphonola and having actual conversation, instead of sitting around, all staring at a TV set and not communicating. When the power came back on and everyone left, I didn't even bother to turn the lights back on. I just sat there, listening to the quiet tick,tick,tick of the wall clock. Then the clock's chimes told me it was time to hit the hay. If my neighbors are lucky, maybe we'll have another power outage again soon, and they can come back and visit me in my world.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Well, I can't resist - Washington Mutual Bank became a thing of the past in the last three hours. How the mighty have fallen!

Beat me to it. A sad day. It's a bad situation all around, but the overnight disappearance of a 119-year-old corporation...well, it's simply sad. :(

From Yahoo News/Reuters:

The transaction ends exactly 119 years of independence for Washington Mutual, whose predecessor was incorporated on September 25, 1889, "to offer its stockholders a safe and profitable vehicle for investing and lending," according to the thrift's website. This helped Seattle residents rebuild after a fire torched the city's downtown.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Frankie Lamb said:
In the world outside of my house there are no longer any candlestick dial telephones, radios that only receive AM stations, clocks that go tick,tick,tick and need to be wound everyday, along with wrist-watches of the same type, nor record machines that need no electricity because they're operated by a crank. Inside my house it's a different story; there, I wind my watches and clocks everyday while listening to some 1920's jazz record on my Graphonola, then, if I feel like it, I pick up one of several of my dial telephones, perhaps a 1910 candlestick, or a 1920's or 1930's desk telephone and call somebody. Last year when we had a long power failure in my area and nothing requiring electricity was working, I invited a couple of neighbors over and we sat around in candle light, listening to records on the Graphonola and having actual conversation, instead of sitting around, all staring at a TV set and not communicating. When the power came back on and everyone left, I didn't even bother to turn the lights back on. I just sat there, listening to the quiet tick,tick,tick of the wall clock. Then the clock's chimes told me it was time to hit the hay. If my neighbors are lucky, maybe we'll have another power outage again soon, and they can come back and visit me in my world.

That's really cool. I actually think it would be fun to have a power outage, but be able to listen to old records and just talk. That's something my generation will probably never do.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
A generation of one

Don't be too sure about that ScionPI. Looking at "your" generation through eyes that have seen a time when that type of behavior was normal, I have a certain amount of optimism about your generation. For instance, I was invited to my first Swing Dance a couple of years ago, and I was absolutely astounded and overjoyed at the enthusiasm the current generation showed for reliving the 30's and 40's through big bands and swing. They didn't just imitate that era, they were living it! It was like a time machine for me. And I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the wing-tips I was wearing were two to three times older than the average person in the room. They couldn't have possible experienced those great times, but somehow they were, in a way "there". What does the whole thing prove? Simply that a good thing is, and always will be, recognized as a good thing no matter how "outdated" they may seem to some. Some in this current generation would think it's lame to dress and dance to some of the kind of music people like yourself and others do here on the Lounge. Then again, "viejos" like me don't think Hop is all that Hip either. What's the solution? Easy, do what's fun and keep on Loungin' !
Frankie Lamb PS I still have those wing-tips.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Pay phones (especially the .10 ones- hence the phrase "drop a dime on somebody"). VW's that used the tire pressure on the spare to propel your windshield wiper fluid, insurance stickers on your cars windshield.
Milk bottle boxes on the front porch, clothes lines in the back yard.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
And don't forget.........

And don't forget bats in the belfry! There used to be a great old stone church in my town that the bats would fly out of by the hundreds right about sunset.
Scared some people, but at least you weren't in any danger of getting bitten by a mosquito while those bats were swarming around.
Frankie Lamb

Kassia

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
Pay phones (especially the .10 ones- hence the phrase "drop a dime on somebody"). VW's that used the tire pressure on the spare to propel your windshield wiper fluid, insurance stickers on your cars windshield.
Milk bottle boxes on the front porch, clothes lines in the back yard.

Actually clotheslines are making a come back.. It saves electricy you know!!
Still lots of pay phones here in BC cause there are still some places without cell service.. Too many mountains or something...
And we have one dairy that delivers and uses glass bottles..

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I blame drug abuse.

Joie DeVive said:
I thought of another. Things bought C.O.D.
I've been told that was to protect the parcel-deliverers from robbery.
Bus drivers who made change: also discontinued because of robbery, stupid selfish thieves, get a job, I did!
Drug dealers getting incoming telephone calls and men using telephone booths as urinals, among other things, killed pay telephones and booths. That and vandalism. Jerks.
Another casualty is motel cabins shaped like windmills, tepees, and other cool structures. I stayed in one in the 80s near Saratoga Springs: it was clean, safe, inexpensive and much. much bigger inside than it looked from the outside! So fun, are there any left?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Another casualty is motel cabins shaped like windmills, tepees, and other cool structures. I stayed in one in the 80s near Saratoga Springs: it was clean, safe, inexpensive and much. much bigger inside than it looked from the outside! So fun, are there any left?

I've never been, but there's still the Wigwam Motel in Rialto, CA and the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ
DSC01376.JPG

http://www.wigwammotel.com
http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Flivver said:
I remember the Fuller Brush man well. In my pre-school years, my Mom would tell me to be quiet and get out of sight of the door when the Fuller Brush man approached. She didn't want to answer the doorbell and be asked to buy something she didn't want.

I was a Fuller Brush man.

And I knew you were really there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn