Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Bookplates. I just came across a sealed box of Antioch bookplates at a local thrift and snapped them up. Yes, I know bookplates can actually still be purchased but does anyone still use them rather than just collect them?

I still prefer to read an actual book rather than using an e-reader device. I purchase a fair amount of the books I read, but some are rented from a local library. Most of my purchases end up donated to my library for their yearly sale but I keep my favorites. I love the idea of putting bookplates in my most treasured books. Does anyone else still use them? Or collect them?

I recall having some book plates (well, really just stickers that looked like them) when I was maybe jr. high school aged (late 70s). I can't recall the last time I saw anything like that since then.

Doorbells
-- Even though it hasn't really disappeared yet, it seems to be coming into less usage as most people when visiting somebody nowadays will call or text them upon arrival rather than ring the doorbell or knock on the door.

Do people really do that? If someone called me upon arrival, I'd say "great, ring the door bell when you get to it and I'll let you in." Then hang up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Deliverymen at the theatre do that to me all the time. I'll have a sign in the window that says DELIVERIES PLEASE KNOCK HARD I ASSURE YOU I AM HERE and I'll get a call in the office, "Hey, I'm the beer guy, I'm standing outside."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
He knows I have no way of receiving a text. Which I consider a blessing.

What if he signs up on the Fedora forum....?

I can just imagine ...

Hi.... LizzieMaine...it's the delivery guy....I'm out here....:D

98sp07.png

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
He wears a ball cap. He'd be chased out the door.

Another thing that's Gone Missing In My Lifetime is snappy uniforms for soda and beer deliverymen. I remember the Coca Cola guy coming to our gas station when I was a kid wearing a very spiffy uniform with a visor cap. Now it's all polo shirts which make an unfortunate display of the results of indulging in the product they distribute.

Last edited:
...Another thing that's Gone Missing In My Lifetime is snappy uniforms for soda and beer deliverymen. I remember the Coca Cola guy coming to our gas station when I was a kid wearing a very spiffy uniform with a visor cap. Now it's all polo shirts which make an unfortunate display of the results of indulging in the product they distribute.
Coca-Cola_Delivery_zpsh3ypcrzx.jpg

:twitch:

Yep, that's the ticket. Our guy has a crew cut, though, not a -- whatever the hell that thing is.
I'm aware of how difficult it can be for companies to find people who actually want to work for their paycheck, and that they sometimes have to take what they can get, but if I were the owner of a company I'm not sure I'd want that guy (the one on the right, that is) representing it. Then again, he might be the most conscientious, hard-working, nicest person on their payroll who just happens to have a...unique...sense of personal style, so who am I to judge? [huh]

I'm aware of how difficult it can be for companies to find people who actually want to work for their paycheck, and that they sometimes have to take what they can get, but if I were the owner of a company I'm not sure I'd want that guy (the one on the right, that is) representing it. Then again, he might be the most conscientious, hard-working, nicest person on their payroll who just happens to have a...unique...sense of personal style, so who am I to judge? [huh]

I'll judge. He look like a jackass!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
War paint is a time-honored tradition. I'm not sure how effective it actually is, but if I were entering a situation in which I might be killed I'd wear whatever I damn well wanted to. :D

:pound: :thumb::thumb:

Lol...probably wasn't ....but we did it....hoping to make it for "just one more day" til we came home !
('68-'69 'nam)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
My dad worked on subs at Pearl Harbor during WW2. He said the sub crews were an unusual group, with Mohawk hair cuts and so on. It was an attitude that grew out of "Hey, we might never return from this patrol, so go for it..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran