Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
No, I watched their reaction when I took them around and showed them what had to be done. Those who flinched weren't the type I was looking for.
Sadly, most of the job positions that I hire people for, have to be able to hold some very intense skill levels, or I cannot hire them. But I do hire some lower skilled or individuals that may have very high educational and work backgrounds to do job site cleanup, for a very decent pay. I am always willing to interview anyone that is seriously looking for work, but have little job openings at the present.

You are right about watching a person even observing what they react to when showing them around. I have had a few people say they know how to do something and then simply taking them to some tools and asking them to load them, like a nail gun, and seeing them with a puzzled look as how to open it to load it, you know they have no skills there! Same in my manufacturing shop, when they do not even know how to lower a table on a bridge port mill, they can't machine.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Here in the San Gabriel valley a number of the foothill cities have been working on making their town centers a better place to visit. these were in decline but they retasked some of the buildings and brought in good to fine dining maybe a better pub and some neat shops. Glendora and monrovia are pretty nice. Sierra Madre is fun to go to.
I grew up in Glendora. I loved the place when I lived there.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
So you were able to intuit their lack of enthusiam for a job?
I'd say: If you're trying to support a family- you do what you have to do. In this economy, few people actually apply for a job that they aren't willing to do. If they don't want to do it they simply don't apply.
That is basically true, but you know that it is hard to find the right people for the right job at times. One of the biggest issues for an employer (me for instance) is that you will have so many people beg you for a job and if you give them one, they will be there for a short period of time and then start missing work because they are either too drunk to make it to work, or they forgot they had a job due to being on the "bong" too much. Many other business owners I know have all displayed the same sort of issues with their workers. So, for me, when I have someone that is a real worker, I pay them well, and talk with them and treat them like gold. A basic weekly meeting with everyone that works for me, they are asked how things are going as a group, asked if they have any input on what we do, things of that nature and I always am willing to take over for a while what a worker is doing and have them take a break while I do their job. I do that to show them I am willing to do that work just like them, I know it makes them all feel I am not just a boss. I also let them know if they make me money, I can make them money.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
This weeks sode is Canada Dry, comments are very welcome :)

11532_cd6_thumb.jpg

Since we are no discussing sodas, I wondered if the members of FL could do me a little favour. I have started a series on known and lesser known sodas on my blog and need comments and suggestions.

You’ll find the intro post here, the list of already posted sodas here
and the only comment I’ve received till now here

If you’re interested in suggesting sodas, I’m particularly interested in old products preferably still in production, or telling me what you think about the ones listed so far either post a comment on the post about the product or simply send me a mail

Last edited:
But from the perspective of an employer, this doesn't make a good impression. What's their guarantee that this person is going to take it in their stride?

That's the idea only steal competant employees from your competition but don't pay them money comensurate to their experience. Also fire them before they are supposed to get benefits.

Dealing with people is always a risk and a gamble. However people that don't take a chance on someone are self limiting. We are not talking brain surgery here. I wasn't happy about having to clean toilets for the park system either, but you learn and move on.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
One thing that is vintage and not here any more is all those older yet wiser family members that could tell you stories for hours about, "back when I was your age"....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That's the idea only steal competant employees from your competition but don't pay them money comensurate to their experience. Also fire them before they are supposed to get benefits.

Dealing with people is always a risk and a gamble. However people that don't take a chance on someone are self limiting. We are not talking brain surgery here. I wasn't happy about having to clean toilets for the park system either, but you learn and move on.

Good point. I've never been an employer, so I've not much perspective. As long as that person shows a willingness to learn or to do some dirty work if need be, more employers ought to take chances.

One thing that is vintage and not here any more is all those older yet wiser family members that could tell you stories for hours about, "back when I was your age"....

My dad, born in 1958, is fond of the "when I was your age" bit. My mother, born in 1962, is aswell, but usually to tell me how bad she and her friends were.

That orb lamp reminds me of The Prisoner...

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Good TV programming...shows like the Twilight Zone, Thriller, Suspense, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents..etc

Er, wait...they may have disappeared before my time......:)
X
BD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Good TV programming...shows like the Twilight Zone, Thriller, Suspense, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents..etc

Er, wait...they may have disappeared before my time......:)
X
BD

Mine too lol But I'm thankful for the modern invention of DVD sets, which allow me to watch those great programs whenever the fancy takes me.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Good point. I've never been an employer, so I've not much perspective. As long as that person shows a willingness to learn or to do some dirty work if need be, more employers ought to take chances.

My dad, born in 1958, is fond of the "when I was your age" bit. My mother, born in 1962, is aswell, but usually to tell me how bad she and her friends were.

Geez, good eye on the lamp deal...it does remind me of that as well....after you pointed it out for my Jurassic eyes to spot!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Oh my, I am viewing the date of when your Parents were born...NOW I really feel old...(sigh)....where is my wheel chair, I am needing it now....just put my teeth in the cup after clearing the drool off me, please.....(hahahah) it can be fun however, being a wicked old guy like me! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!! hahaha!

Oh my, I am viewing the date of when your Parents were born...NOW I really feel old...(sigh)....where is my wheel chair, I am needing it now....just put my teeth in the cup after clearing the drool off me, please.....(hahahah) it can be fun however, being a wicked old guy like me! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!! hahaha!

How do you think I feel, Pops??? C-dot's mother is two years older than me and Tom's is a year younger! :eeek: My parents were born in 1928 and 1929.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn