Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I always call it a lunch pail. I did the other day and my sister replied "What is this? 1957, oh I bet you wish that!"

She also harasses my mother and I for saying Short Pants instead of Shorts.

I was raised to call that thing you carry your sandwich in a "dinner pail." "Lunch Box" was a term used only by outastaters.

Icebox
Davenport
Hi-Fi
Swell
Neat

'You've got more excuses than Carter's got Liver pills.'
'As the Crow flies'
'Knee High to a Grasshopper'
'in a Coon's age' (my friends have adopted this as I use it quite often)

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
When I was a child, my grandparents always referred to the radio as 'the wireless'.

I never really understood this as more often than not the thing was attached to the wall via a lenght of wire that provided the power!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I never use Davenport unless someone has their feet on the couch, then I say 'dogs off the davenport.'

My grandmother used to call the couch a "Chesterfield" lol She also referred to carpet as "the broadloom," and the landing as "the vestibule."

It must have been a Golden Era thing to refer to most items by their brand names. I'll admit that "the car" doesn't have the same ring as "the Pontiac."

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You know what vintage thing I would like to have back? News and weather casters that will just tell me the news and weather. I don't want to hear about the cute thing their kids did before the headline story, and I don't want to be told that the weather across Eastern Canada is "status quo" and "the temperatures speak for themselves." A rockin' party on the roof of the building is not what I consider "whats going on in the world," and I don't think their jokes between stories are funny.

This is why I prefer the newspaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic