Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

JimWagner

Practically Family
There are quite a few Christmas tree farmers here in North Carolina and it's quite easy to find a real tree. We usually wait until a few days before Christmas when the prices are dropping to pick one out. Sure, the selection tends to be not as good as a few weeks earlier, but typically the price has dropped quite a bit. We take it down by New Years Day as in my family it was considered bad luck to keep decorations up past then.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Every December, my dad and I still trek out in the razor-blades-up-your-nose Canadian cold to get our balsam fir. We have a collection of ornaments from years and years back that make it even more special. I guess that would be considered awfully old fashioned these days!

Growing up, we always picked out a tree that was going to die anyways- it was under the powerlines or growing in the swamp. They were always these pathetic things that had two branches and were missing half their needles. The skimpy ones are the best trees.

I always wondered why they had so many artificial trees in the stores each year. Then somebody told me that some people buy new artificial trees each year and throw them out at the end of the holiday!:eeek:

I met someone who's sister does her tree a different color each year, and throws out the bulbs and ornaments each year. I said to her, "why doesn't she keep them and just rotate the colors every year, and buy a few new bulbs of each color when they go on sale? So year one is red, two blue, etc. and then rotate back through and keep adding?" and her reply was that "She wants all new to impress everybody every year- it's not like it costs that much." She didn't even take the ornmanents or tree to goodwill when she was done, she dumped them in the trash because "who wants used ornaments." :(

Effingham

A-List Customer
Boy! I would love to take a big Whiff right now!!-- Of course I realize that half the members here have no clue what we are talking about since they are under the age of 40. Geeezz!---John

If someone were to come out with a perfume that smelled like mimeo fluid, I'd be over the moon. I could also vicariously relive that crush on my sixth-grade art teacher. :) Ah, Ms. Scudder, where are you, now?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The skimpy ones are the best trees. ...I met someone who's sister does her tree a different color each year, and throws out the bulbs and ornaments each year.

I thought so much of "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" reading that! I like a tree that I feel a little sorry for, too. :) Materialism will always take over though...

Maybe I'll send you my extras! lol

Well I don't know about him, but I know I am lol

Oh, God no!!! The closest I'll get is those 70's Schlitz Malt Liquor Glasses. I've got a boat load of those!

Mvc-16662e.JPG

It starts with avocado appliances and progresses to macramé wall hangings and bullfighting posters.

Harper Hurst

New in Town
I don't know if this has been said at all in this 100-some page-long thread, but cartoons have disappeared. I get to see the very occasional Tom and Jerry episode, and it beats any modern cartoon like Spongebob by a long shot. Being 16 years old, I haven't gotten the opportunity to see the old cartoons, but I really wish I could.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Does a whole country with its society counts? The GDR, the country I was born in disapeared completely with most of their own industrial products. E.g. there are no longer cars like Wartburg, Trabant or the (at least in the GDR) famous Schwalbe, Star and all the other motorcycles. Also many day-to-day products disapeared, be it some special foodstuff or brands or minor things for the household. Not to mention the old plastic/bakelite phones with this dial plates, the gigantic computers which needed a whole room and a night or so to calculate some simple things and give them out via punched cards.

But don't get me wrong, I am happy that the iron curtain fell. It is just sometimes strange to use a mobile phone or drive in my own modern car that I think of the old times and happen to be shocked how fast the things changed or that I am getting older :eusa_doh:

Does a whole country with its society counts? The GDR, the country I was born in disapeared completely with most of their own industrial products. E.g. there are no longer cars like Wartburg, Trabant or the (at least in the GDR) famous Schwalbe, Star and all the other motorcycles. Also many day-to-day products disapeared, be it some special foodstuff or brands or minor things for the household. Not to mention the old plastic/bakelite phones with this dial plates, the gigantic computers which needed a whole room and a night or so to calculate some simple things and give them out via punched cards.

My dad worked with such computers in the late '50s and early '60s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran