Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know you could buy the Dublin DP in LA. Interesting!! I've always heard it was a Texas-only thing. Cool!

Sometimes at the stores here you can find it in cans or plastic bottles. Not sure why you'd want to, though.

Last edited:
Entry-level positions. That is, actual, entry-level, start at the bottom and work your way up towards the level of your own aptitude, not "get a college degree before we even consider you for a data-entry position." On-the-job training and promotion from within, rather than hiring someone with an M.B.A. to fill a position in a company whose businesss they know nothing about.

I have seen job offers in Careerbuilder where they required a Masters and paid $15/hour, part time, no benefits.

My favorite is how many names can you come up with and not call a sales position SALES.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've had masters-degree holders apply for concession-stand jobs, and I've had to turn them away -- because I couldn't imagine them being willing to blow a clot of congealed syrup out of the fountain drain with a siphon hose. If you sincerely want a desperation-job, you better be willing to do the desperation work that goes along with it.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
11436_oc1.png

Since we are no discussing sodas, I wondered if the members of FL could do me a little favour. I have started a series on known and lesser known sodas on my blog and need comments and suggestions.

How about Grape Nehi, I think they had orange as well. When I grew up in Texas, every soft-drink was a coke. If you ordered a coke, the waittress would say "what kind." I would then reply grape nehi or cream soda or whatnot.

I wish they sold that here. Dr. Pepper and Sun Drop are my favorite sodas. There is a place in Shawano that still has returnables for Sun Drop bottles, only place in the US still doing so for Sun Drop.

That's what they sell here at the grocery stores I go to, American sodas in glass bottles - with the exception of Jarritos.

Mexican Coke in the glass bottles is available at only a few stores, like Fiesta & Carnival. I've never tasted it.

Dr. Pepper made with the original cane sugar formula is made in Dublin, Texas, not too far from me. Around here it is called simply "Dublin Dr. Pepper." There's some sort of strange distribution issue stemming from an original agreement in the 1920s for a 44-mile distribution radius, and not in areas franchised by other bottlers, so it definitely isn't available outside of Texas, and only occasionally outside of the metroplex area. You can buy it online, but the prices are nuts. Personally I think the sugar-sweetened Dr. Pepper does have a different taste, but it is also sweeter than the "regular" kind.

1zytyz9.jpg

If you're ever in the DFW area, it is worth a drive to the bottling plant. They have tours & a neat gift shop, and an original 1940s style billboard outside. The town of Dublin is tiny, but has a couple of neat antique shops.

2la3ntz.jpg

TidiousTed

Practically Family
How about Grape Nehi, I think they had orange as well. When I grew up in Texas, every soft-drink was a coke. If you ordered a coke, the waittress would say "what kind." I would then reply grape nehi or cream soda or whatnot.

Nehi added to the list of sodas to present. Thanks a lot :)

Terry292

New in Town
I know we're talking primarily about things, like hats and such, here. But, the one thing I really miss about my youth is good old-fashioned downtowns. When I was a child, my mother owned a diner just off the main street of our nearest town. On Saturdays, my brother, sister and I would go to work with her. She'd feed us breakfast at the counter, and then we were off to the kids' matinee at the local theater. Afterwards, we'd go back to the diner and have those huge hamburgers, grilled over an open flame, with tomato, onion, mayo, mustard and ketchup, and an almost sickly sweet fountain coke. Man, was that good eating. Then, she'd give us fifty cents apiece and turn us loose downtown. We wandered up and down the street, in and out of the various department stores and such. Some days it seemed we couldn't spend that fifty cents, no matter how hard we tried. We were usually dead tired when it was time to go home, though. Mom would take a big brown paper sack of burgers home with us for supper. Those were the days, and I, for one, miss them a lot. Children today have no idea.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
That's how it was where I grew up! A coke was any kind of pop/soda.

Yes Maam. But a "Cola" was a Cola if I remember correctly...?

Then, she'd give us fifty cents apiece and turn us loose downtown. Some days it seemed we couldn't spend that fifty cents, no matter how hard we tried. We were usually dead tired when it was time to go home, though. Mom would take a big brown paper sack of burgers home with us for supper. Those were the days, and I, for one, miss them a lot. Children today have no idea.

Great memory Terry. All so true.

M.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I know we're talking primarily about things, like hats and such, here. But, the one thing I really miss about my youth is good old-fashioned downtowns. When I was a child, my mother owned a diner just off the main street of our nearest town. On Saturdays, my brother, sister and I would go to work with her. She'd feed us breakfast at the counter, and then we were off to the kids' matinee at the local theater. Afterwards, we'd go back to the diner and have those huge hamburgers, grilled over an open flame, with tomato, onion, mayo, mustard and ketchup, and an almost sickly sweet fountain coke. Man, was that good eating. Then, she'd give us fifty cents apiece and turn us loose downtown. We wandered up and down the street, in and out of the various department stores and such. Some days it seemed we couldn't spend that fifty cents, no matter how hard we tried. We were usually dead tired when it was time to go home, though. Mom would take a big brown paper sack of burgers home with us for supper. Those were the days, and I, for one, miss them a lot. Children today have no idea.

This is one reason, I think, why I find myself at 50 returned to the small town where I was born. We still have one of those downtowns.

http://franklin-photos.funcityfinder.com/franklin-downtown-photos-and-pictures/

I've had masters-degree holders apply for concession-stand jobs, and I've had to turn them away -- because I couldn't imagine them being willing to blow a clot of congealed syrup out of the fountain drain with a siphon hose. If you sincerely want a desperation-job, you better be willing to do the desperation work that goes along with it.

So you were able to intuit their lack of enthusiam for a job?
I'd say: If you're trying to support a family- you do what you have to do. In this economy, few people actually apply for a job that they aren't willing to do. If they don't want to do it they simply don't apply.

I live literally as close to smack-dab center of Downtown Pardeeville as you can get. (Yup, I'm in the middle of the block lol) and I'm watching this downtown die around me. People always say they only come downtown for the Caddy Shack (the bar next door to me), the Gun store (my dad's store, below me) and the Pharmacy (across the street) The only other things in this downtown right now are a Dish Network Store, 3 taverns, a restaurant, a real-estate office, where I never see anything going on, and a Kwik Trip. Everything else is iffy.

Terry292

New in Town
This is one reason, I think, why I find myself at 50 returned to the small town where I was born. We still have one of those downtowns.

http://franklin-photos.funcityfinder.com/franklin-downtown-photos-and-pictures/

I ascribe the death of our downtown to three major factors which all occurred around the same time. First, in the mid-60s, the major US Highway which ran through the downtown was moved to by-pass town completely. With fewer tourists coming through town business dropped significantly. Secondly, passenger rail service ended around that same time. Kingsport only exists because of the railroad. In the early 20th Century, a man named George L. Carter wanted a fast, inexpensive way to get the timber and coal assets he controlled in this area to market. He and a consortium of associates built the railroad from Southeastern Kentucky to Asheville, NC. Finally, the first covered mall in our area opened here in the early-70s, and all the major downtown merchants were lured out there. I know there are other factors which contributed, but I think these are the main three.

There has been a downtown revitalization movement here for about 25 years now, but we're not having much success attracting business back.

rue

I ascribe the death of our downtown to three major factors which all occurred around the same time. First, in the mid-60s, the major US Highway which ran through the downtown was moved to by-pass town completely. With fewer tourists coming through town business dropped significantly. Secondly, passenger rail service ended around that same time. Kingsport only exists because of the railroad. In the early 20th Century, a man named George L. Carter wanted a fast, inexpensive way to get the timber and coal assets he controlled in this area to market. He and a consortium of associates built the railroad from Southeastern Kentucky to Asheville, NC. Finally, the first covered mall in our area opened here in the early-70s, and all the major downtown merchants were lured out there. I know there are other factors which contributed, but I think these are the main three.

There has been a downtown revitalization movement here for about 25 years now, but we're not having much success attracting business back.

I think the bypass destroyed all small towns. The place I just moved from (Xenia, Ohio) still has problems because of a tornado that happened in the early 70s, but the bypass killed it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The town where I grew up still has a bustling old downtown area, complete with vintage courthouse surrounded by antique shops, old banks, hardware stores, and cafes. There's even an old-fashioned soda & ice cream shop that still serves phosphates. Up until the mid-90s, the city pharmacy even had a fully operational lunch counter. I have many great memories of lunches eaten there! Every year in early December they host a "Christmas on the Square" where all the shops stay open late and serve cider & hot chocolate, and there are carolers and all kinds of fun things going on. We never miss it. In Texas, you will drive through towns that have the boarded-up shops, but there are quite a few towns that still have the "old downtown square" and capitalize on it.

No, I watched their reaction when I took them around and showed them what had to be done. Those who flinched weren't the type I was looking for.

I have found that many people that are very competant can be uncomfortable with a job or a proceedure when starting off. Often they will be able to perform well when they have a better understanding of what is going on. Something may seem strange or un-appealing when first seen, however after doing it a few times it becomes no big deal.

Here in the San Gabriel valley a number of the foothill cities have been working on making their town centers a better place to visit. these were in decline but they retasked some of the buildings and brought in good to fine dining maybe a better pub and some neat shops. Glendora and monrovia are pretty nice. Sierra Madre is fun to go to.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have found that many people that are very competant can be uncomfortable with a job or a proceedure when starting off. Often they will be able to perform well when they have a better understanding of what is going on. Something may seem strange or un-appealing when first seen, however after doing it a few times it becomes no big deal.

But from the perspective of an employer, this doesn't make a good impression. What's their guarantee that this person is going to take it in their stride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo