Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Feraud

Bartender
That is right. No one is advocating we push ancient superstitous beliefs or this is a religious issue. The common use of God Bless You after a sneeze is a simple matter of a particular social custom.

Before anyone argues, "why don't we bless anyone after they cough?" I say if you want to do it, then bless to your heart's content.

If a teacher tried to take 25 pts. off my son's grade for being polite I'd put my foot up a not so polite place..

That is right. No one is advocating we push ancient superstitous beliefs or this is a religious issue. The common use of God Bless You after a sneeze is a simple matter of a particular social custom.

Before anyone argues, "why don't we bless anyone after they cough?" I say if you want to do it, then bless to your heart's content.

If a teacher tried to take 25 pts. off my son's grade for being polite I'd put my foot up a not so polite place..

I heard about that earlier today. I figured I would put a boot in his @@@ as well. He recanted later but still said he would find a way to push his agenda. The dope is a Health and Safety teacher---he should stick to the subject! One girl was interviewed on the radio. She said she sneezed and someone said bless you. The teacher came unhinged and asked the person if she looked evil and needed blessing. My response would have been no but you do---bless you. :p

I ALWAYS say bless you when someone sneezed and am, in fact, offended if someone else doesn't do the same.

The thing is, saying "Bless you" after somebody sneezes has not carried the same religious connotations for a very long time - It's become more of a figure of speech. I know many atheists and agnostics, even Muslims and Hindus who say it.

If I had a child in that classroom, I would ruin that teacher.

I would suppose not. It's not even a religious thing for most people anymore. It's just common courtesy right up there with saying excuse me when you bump into someone.

You know, I wonder what he wants you to say. If he sneezed, I might just as well say Damn you. It shouldn't make a difference to him right? :p

Feraud

Bartender
One girl was interviewed on the radio. She said she sneezed and someone said bless you. The teacher came unhinged and asked the person if she looked evil and needed blessing. My response would have been no but you do---bless you. :p
What a pathetic example of behavior for a high school teacher to set by attempting to bully a teenager.
I wish the young lady had the presence of mind to tell him to mind his own d@mn business.

Terry292

New in Town
"A friend of mine once almost incinerated himself when he managed to set off an entire box in the pocket of his jacket. "

I can't imagine why they're not available anymore.....:D

I don't disagree that strike anywhere matches can be dangerous. But, so are a lot of things. I've jumped out of airplanes, rappelled out of helicopters and off the sides of buildings. I've even ridden motorcycles with out a helmet and driven a car without wearing my seatbelt. All of those can be dangerous if one is not careful. It's more the principle of the thing, I guess. I tend to get stubborn when others tell me what is, or is not, good for me. One advantage of being an adult is being able to make one's own decisions about things, good or bad. With any luck, one learns from one's mistakes, if they don't kill you.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I wish the young lady had the presence of mind to tell him to mind his own d@mn business.

I had that same presence of mind to tell that to a high school teacher who kept butting into a conversation I was having. Boy, did I get reamed out by the vice principal...

I don't disagree that strike anywhere matches can be dangerous. But, so are a lot of things. I've jumped out of airplanes, rappelled out of helicopters and off the sides of buildings. I've even ridden motorcycles with out a helmet and driven a car without wearing my seatbelt. All of those can be dangerous if one is not careful. It's more the principle of the thing, I guess. I tend to get stubborn when others tell me what is, or is not, good for me. One advantage of being an adult is being able to make one's own decisions about things, good or bad. With any luck, one learns from one's mistakes, if they don't kill you.

You can get them all over the place out there. I think they call them kitchen matches.

Feraud

Bartender
I tend to get stubborn when others tell me what is, or is not, good for me. One advantage of being an adult is being able to make one's own decisions about things, good or bad. With any luck, one learns from one's mistakes, if they don't kill you.
I agree with you but the majority of people's reactions when they injure themselves and others shows otherwise. Everyone shoots their mouth off about being an adult but when they drive drunk or do other stupid things they clam up and go crying to a lawyer about how it is everyone else's fault!
Most people want to be an adult as long as there is no responsibility attached.

Yeah..I kinda live by that same creed as well...
Oh..and God Bless You,Terry..!;)

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree with you but the majority of people's reactions when they injure themselves and others shows otherwise. Everyone shoots their mouth off about being an adult but when they drive drunk or do other stupid things they clam up and go crying to a lawyer about how it is everyone else's fault!

Or even show a lack of responsibility when they hurt others who are innocent bystanders.

Terry292

New in Town

Perhaps, that's another thing which belongs in this thread: we seem to have lost the understanding that rights without responsibility can only lead to anarchy. I guess I'm really old-fashioned, but my Dad taught me long ago: if you can't do the time, then, don't do the crime. In other words, we're all responsible for our own actions. There's the old cliche, when you point your finger at another, three fingers are pointing back at you.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
There's the old cliche, when you point your finger at another, three fingers are pointing back at you.

And when the blame is justified, there's about 10 fingers pointing back at you.

Somewhat related to not taking responsibility, my favourite is when someone will do you a favour, and some time later throw it back in your face as if you were taking advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo