Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Always wanted to recreate one of those - I can't help but feel people would line up for that. Or not?

I would! I always manage to get gasoline all over my hands, no matter how careful I am. Plus, think of all the summer jobs - My dad was a service station attendant when he was a teenager, which is as good a way as any to earn pocket money.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I would! I always manage to get gasoline all over my hands, no matter how careful I am. Plus, think of all the summer jobs - My dad was a service station attendant when he was a teenager, which is as good a way as any to earn pocket money.

My family was in that business for forty years -- my aunt was the first female attendant the town had ever seen, and people lined up just to watch her in action. I worked there myself as a teenager, mostly doing books but occasionally I'd grab a nozzle when business got busy. My grandfather went to his grave insisting that "self service" was a Communist plot to weaken the nation's moral fiber.

The driveway gong from our station is now my front doorbell.

Station52.jpg

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My family was in that business for forty years -- my aunt was the first female attendant the town had ever seen, and people lined up just to watch her in action. I worked there myself as a teenager, mostly doing books but occasionally I'd grab a nozzle when business got busy. My grandfather went to his grave insisting that "self service" was a Communist plot to weaken the nation's moral fiber.

The driveway gong from our station is now my front doorbell.

How very interesting! I would love a doorbell like that :D

dnjan

One Too Many
I miss "service stations".
As a kid, I remember pulling in, hearing the ding-ding when your car rolled over the black "snakes" running across the ground, and a guy with a uniform (usually) asking to "check the oil?" and clean your windows. Only time you got out was to use the bathroom and buy a snack - if they had any - and they war usually vending machines then.
Always wanted to recreate one of those - I can't help but feel people would line up for that. Or not?
If you move to Oregon, at least they will put the gas in for you.

Oh man, great pic Lizzy! I was surprised this one wasn't brought up sooner. I love the sight of that, and the doorbell idea is awesome.
If I do it, it would likely be in some place like Montana. I'm sure it would work here in LA too, but I've talked to some station owners over the years, and the regulations and restrictions placed upon them by the city/state and the companies themselves make it seem impossible to do...

Terry292

New in Town
I worked in a Sinclair station in high school. Was supposed to be a "pump attendant," but ended up doing a little of anything which needed to be done, including minor repairs. My favorite part of the job was riding with the wrecker driver when we went on calls.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I've never had a 'Bubble Up'...but I have had many of Coka Cola's 'Lemon Soda' in the little 5 cent glass bottles years ago.

I recall those from the machines you would "slide" them out after paying the machine that was a chest!

I remember Simba

My father brought home a display bottle of Bubble Up a long time ago. That is, there's no gas, it's just a liquid. (Water? Isoproypl Alcohol?) I'll have to ask him where he got it. I want to say a thrift store... Nice to see someones keeping track of all these old sodas.

I remember it, too. The bottle I remember, though, is nothing like the bottles I've found pictures of. The bottles of my memory had the lion and a scene from the African veldt, but not printed on; it was molded into the glass. It wasn't as slim as the bottle in this photo, either. My dad took some empty bottles and cut the upper part off using glass cutters, then sanded the top edge until it was rounded and smooth to make glasses out of them. We thought they were cool!

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks a lot for all the comments and suggestions and I got text material and images for presenting about 50 different sodas and intend to post one each week so I’ll keep them coming

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I remember it, too. The bottle I remember, though, is nothing like the bottles I've found pictures of. The bottles of my memory had the lion and a scene from the African veldt, but not printed on; it was molded into the glass. It wasn't as slim as the bottle in this photo, either. My dad took some empty bottles and cut the upper part off using glass cutters, then sanded the top edge until it was rounded and smooth to make glasses out of them. We thought they were cool!

Cheers,
Tom

Was he using one of those Ron Propeil gadgets?

How about some of the words and phrases that have disappeared? I still call it a 'filling station' because my parents always did and half the time people have no clue what a filling station is.

dnjan

One Too Many
I still use the term "icebox", which I picked up from my parents. Every so often someone will think I am referring to the freezing compartment of a fridge.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Northern New England. Old stuff tends to last longer here than other places -- probably keeps better in the cold.

The term "lunch" itself wasn't used the way it is now -- the noon meal was "dinner," and the evening meal was "supper." On the other hand, a small short-order restaurant downtown was called a "lunch room" or a "luncheonette."

Last edited:
Steamroller -- even though they haven't been powered by steam for decades now.

27.jpg

[video=youtube;t6v_pX6gDw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6v_pX6gDw4&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo