Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There's a payphone outside the local supermarket. And people still use it. I wonder for how much longer, though...

I like the idea of old-style telephone-booths being repurposed as 'private booths' for people talking on their mobile-phones, though.

MissMittens

One Too Many
There's a payphone outside the local supermarket. And people still use it. I wonder for how much longer, though...

I like the idea of old-style telephone-booths being repurposed as 'private booths' for people talking on their mobile-phones, though.

I have an old "Bell" porcelain enamel sign from an old booth they were tearing down to make a parking lot. I snagged it before the dozer took it. Free coffee for the workers does wonders, lol

Now where will Superman change? :p

pay-phone.jpg

Argee

One of the Regulars
There's a bunch of working phonebooths (yes, booths) at Yellowstone national park. Both built in and freestanding outside. You can thank spotty cell service for that.

When I was a kid I used to wonder if Superman ever forgot where he stashed his Clark Kent clothes. I mean when you're saving runaway school buses from going off the cliff into a molten lava flow you tend to forget those things in all the excitement. And besides, if he had my luck, somebody would have probably nicked them while he was off doing his deeds of derring do. :p:D

lol

Last edited:
Cool story!

I have an old "Bell" porcelain enamel sign from an old booth they were tearing down to make a parking lot. I snagged it before the dozer took it. Free coffee for the workers does wonders, lol

First shift has a lot of old-timers, top seniority guy's been working there since 1966. You try telling them they need that new-fangled technology. Even as a member of the modern generation (by age, not thinking) I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16, and didn't have anything better than a Nokia 'brick' Tracfone until I was 18 or 19.

You need to tell them about this new thing called a cell phone. :p

First shift has a lot of old-timers, top seniority guy's been working there since 1966. You try telling them they need that new-fangled technology. Even as a member of the modern generation (by age, not thinking) I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16, and didn't have anything better than a Nokia 'brick' Tracfone until I was 18 or 19.

I am older than you. I could shame him into it. :p

Cool story!

Why you young Whippersnapper. I started working for GM in Jan '66. I've never had a cell phone. Don't want one. Nope..just won't do it..!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner