Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

One of my coworkers (used to work sanitation) she wears no bra and a white shirt and would be soaked from cleaning. She's 52 years old....

Does she have the unicorn tattoo on one of them that now looks like a giraffe with a big horn?

When my parents lived in Germany I would take any shoes that needed repair when I went to visit because the guy they went to there did such a good job.

The local military exchanges don't even have shoe repair shops anymore.
The boots our military man and woman are wearing today are made in China. Go figure.
Countryclubjoe

The concept in the US that a woman can be demure.

de·mure/dɪˈmjuɚ/adjective

[more demure; most demure] 1: quiet and polite — usually used to describe a woman or girl ▪ a demure young lady

2: not attracting or demanding a lot of attention : not showy or flashy
▪ She was wearing a demure gray suit.▪ the demure charm of the cottage▪ a demure personality
— de·mure·lyadverb
▪ a demurely dressed young woman▪ She smiled demurely.

For me the Antonym is a woman with a multitude of tats and piercings all over.

The boots our military man and woman are wearing today are made in China. Go figure.
Countryclubjoe

Reminds me a bit of an editorial cartoon I recall seing many years ago of Chinese missiles aimed at us with "Made in the USA" stamped on them. A reference to high tech and aerospace companies that were allowed by our government to export what was up to that time restricted technology to China which was ultimately used to improve their ICBMs.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
There seems to be a kind of system behind it all. In the early eighties the uniforms of the west german forces (Bundewehr) were made in the GDR (German Democratic Republic - Eastern Germany). :eusa_doh:

Vintage things that have disappeared....Manners, apparently, as I rarely see them anymore.

I concur, I waited for a couple ladies to climb the steps at my local diner today, I held the door open for them to enter the diner.
They simply walked past me as if I was there hired DOOR MAN. oh well. I will still continue to hold onto my manners.
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
In looking back at earlier posts I just noticed:
It seems back in the day, that people weren't quite so 'touchy-feely' or maybe it's just me. It seems like everyone wants to hug and kiss these days.

I think that is a case of role reversal because in the past men were allowed to force hugs and kisses on women but today they would be sued for sexual harassment. Today women are allowed touch men and call them things that would get a guy sued. I see a lot more of it in the South. I would be taking a trip out the door by way of HR if I called a young lady Sweetie or Honey but women are quite often allowed to call men by those terms.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In New England, we're not touchy-feely by nature. The hugging and kissing of casual acquaintances just isn't done by anyone who was raised here -- the easiest way to tell an outastater is when they try to hug you upon being introduced. My grandparents were married for forty-six years and I never even saw them as much as hold hands in public.

Kmadden

New in Town
Countryclubjoe wrote: "I waited for a couple ladies to climb the steps at my local diner today, I held the door open for them to enter the diner.
They simply walked past me as if I was there hired DOOR MAN."

That has happened to me, too.
They say nothing — but I say to them, "You're welcome," loud enough for everyone around to hear.
Often they look back and belatedly reply, "Oh. . .yes. . .thank you."
I just chuckle at their bad manners — and then get on with my life.

Flicka

One Too Many
In New England, we're not touchy-feely by nature. The hugging and kissing of casual acquaintances just isn't done by anyone who was raised here -- the easiest way to tell an outastater is when they try to hug you upon being introduced. My grandparents were married for forty-six years and I never even saw them as much as hold hands in public.

This is my family; we hug when something major happens like deaths or divorces, but never casually. Grown-ups holding hands baffles me. I really don't get the point.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
LOL!!! Clogs are for tourists to purchase and hang on their wall, like the English hang horse brasses:/
Kitch at its worst

My grandfather wore wooden shoes. In the depression he made them for the whole family, carved them out of pieces of firewood on long winter evenings. He was born in Holland around 1899.

Countryclubjoe wrote: "I waited for a couple ladies to climb the steps at my local diner today, I held the door open for them to enter the diner.
They simply walked past me as if I was there hired DOOR MAN."

That has happened to me, too.
They say nothing — but I say to them, "You're welcome," loud enough for everyone around to hear.
Often they look back and belatedly reply, "Oh. . .yes. . .thank you."
I just chuckle at their bad manners — and then get on with my life.

You are lucky that is all you got. I have opened doors for women out here and they will jump on you saying that they are perfectly capable of opening the door themselves etc, etc.
Yeah, then go back out so I can slam the door in your face. :p

I spose you're right. I don't care for it much. The same co-worker I mentioned before is a very touchy-feely person. I don't care much for people 'in my bubble' so it makes me really uncomfortable.

In looking back at earlier posts I just noticed:

I think that is a case of role reversal because in the past men were allowed to force hugs and kisses on women but today they would be sued for sexual harassment. Today women are allowed touch men and call them things that would get a guy sued. I see a lot more of it in the South. I would be taking a trip out the door by way of HR if I called a young lady Sweetie or Honey but women are quite often allowed to call men by those terms.

The last time I hugged anybody was back in April when one of my best friends passed away. It was the time and place for such a thing. I was very close with him and his family and you do what is necessary to comfort people who matter to you. Outside of such circumstances, I think it's just odd to be overly affectionate in public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner