Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Resurgence of Vintage Things...? Someone should make a thread about that. I too, have noticed soda-pop (fizzy drinks, soft-drinks, call them what you will), being sold in glass bottles these days as well. Never had them when I was a kid.

Definitely Milk

As several people have mentioned, there's just nothing quite as satisfying as fresh milk in a glass bottle, although for many years we had to make due around here with the merely adequate store bought milk in paper cartons. Tragically, over the past ten years, that too has been almost completely replaced by one of the biggest travesties during my lifetime -- milk in plastic jugs.

People who grew up knowing nothing else, it doesn't seem to bother, but I personally can't stand the wretched taint the plastic lends to the milk's flavor -- and I wonder just what chemicals have leached into the liquid to imbue it with such ill taste.

For the time being, we buy the super-expensive organic milk, which is all that is left to be found locally in cartons. I've seen stores with milk in glass bottles, but there are none within easy driving distance.

Milk in the bottle LA area

Broguiere's dairy in Montebello has great milk in the bottle along with extraordinary eggnog and chocolate milk too!

As seen on Huell Howser's TV program "Visiting...With Huell Howser" #804 - EGGNOG UPDATE

This is actually a secong program on the Dairy they went much earlier for an episode.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had a local dairy here that tried to revive glass bottles -- but too many people thought the bottles were "quaint," and didn't return them. Most of the bottles ended up as novelty "country decor" items for the Martha Stewart crowd, and the dairy ended up going bankrupt.

Our milkman disappeared when I was seven years old, but my mother still has the old galvanized milkbox. Apparently she thinks he's coming back someday, and she wants to be ready.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Gosh, I didn't now how lucky I was, having found myself a milkman that delivers in glass bottles! I must say that there is something incredibly pleasant about the little ritual of putting the empty bottles on the step in the evening and bringing in the full ones in the morning. I think that I would miss it if it were gone...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Foofoogal said:
starting to think buyers of vintage have disappeared in my lifetime. :eusa_doh: :eek:fftopic:
Hamilton_Honey said:
I think it's more a case of wages disappearing....[huh]

No, it's not wages, since many vintage clothing items in excellent wearable condition are still are cheaper than their new, vintage-inspired equivalents.

The fact is, the heyday of vintage clothing-wearing was way back in the 1980s. The first 'vintage clothing' stores --as opposed to thrift stores and charity shops-- appeared in the late '60s to early '70s in London, and the early to mid '70s in NYC. (That said, at least one San Francisco rock band, George Hunter's The Charlatans. was wearing vintage Edwardian clothing onstage as early as 1964.) Such pioneering New York trendsetters as David Byrne and Laurie Anderson made their followers aware of vintage clothing, and by the late '70s it was all over BCBG and other dance clubs. Furthermore, mellow California bands and hyper L.A. comedians --think The Eagles and Robin Williams-- sported vintage '40s Hawaiian shirts and gabardine suits.

Vintage clothing exploded into the American mainstream in the early to mid 1980s. On the West Coast, there were two ground zeros: Haight Ashbury in Northern California and Melrose Avenue in SoCal. One early store, Aardvark's Odd Ark, made a fortune selling the stuff, and opened various branches. The rage for vintage clothing continued, though somewhat abated, into the later 1990s, when a combination of factors reduced demand. Today, the vintage clothing market is very fragmented, volatile, and diminished. Its 'Golden Age' is over.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
maybe I'm just out of touch, or maybe these things really have vanished...

but as a child, I remember buying packets of crisps with little paper satchets inside them, filled with salt. You used to be able to rip the sachets open and tip the salt into your bag of chips and shake it all around to salt your chips yourself.

...do any companies still sell chips like that these days? I haven't seen any in years.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Shangas said:
The Resurgence of Vintage Things...? Someone should make a thread about that. I too, have noticed soda-pop (fizzy drinks, soft-drinks, call them what you will), being sold in glass bottles these days as well. Never had them when I was a kid.
Bevmo has a large selection of sodas in glass bottles. Fun for parties or potlucks when you're assigned the beverages.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've been recently bemoaning the packaging of adhesive bandages in cardboard boxes rather than metal tins, and I finally decided to do something about it (at home and at the office, anyway).

Here's one I picked up on eBay. I like it pretty well, though I suspect it's not terribly old (anyone know when these fell out of use?).

bandaidtin.jpg

I've got another one on the way that I'm more excited about. It contained Rexall brand bandages and is a much older tin.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
A little of both. But aren't most pined-for items in this thread?

I like that the tins are reusable and almost indestructible, so I'll be buying my band-aids in a cardboard box and transferring them over.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Shangas said:
maybe I'm just out of touch, or maybe these things really have vanished...

but as a child, I remember buying packets of crisps with little paper satchets inside them, filled with salt. You used to be able to rip the sachets open and tip the salt into your bag of chips and shake it all around to salt your chips yourself.

...do any companies still sell chips like that these days? I haven't seen any in years.

salt n' shake - we still have them over here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24