Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage things that have REAPPEARED in your lifetime?

^^^^^
In the case of the displeased nephew, it’s a matter of being pressured to paint a house that doesn’t really need it. Touch up would be more than sufficient at this point. It’s enough to make a person suspect he’s being singled out. And that the powers in the HOA have a brother-in-law in the house painting business.

I've lived in my house for twenty-two years now, and the main reason I bought it in the first place was that it was "dated." It had been owned by an elderly working-class couple who did next to nothing to "upgrade" it since they moved in in 1937. I've done a few things to repair wear and tear, like replacing the kitchen tile floor, but the "datedness" is the whole appeal of the place as far as I'm concerned. It would look ridiculous with a "professional level stove," a giant stainless steel refrigerator, and a hunk of granite shoved into the pantry. It'd be like dressing up your grandmother in hot pants.

When I die the Kid I'm passing it on to vows to preserve it as a museum, and I warned her if she flips it to an HGTV remuddler I'll haunt her forever.

I heard it suggested just yesterday that there be a sort of anti-HGTV network, with programming with titles such as “You Ruined It,” wherein the hosts walk through recently “flipped” houses and point out where original (and appropriate) architectural features were ripped out. And perhaps highlight how remodeling often costs more than might be returned on the sale of the property. And how the new stuff is often of lesser quality than what it replaced, and very well may diminish the value of the property at some not-so-distant date, when that new stuff becomes “dated” itself and the market shifts back to favoring more period-authentic properties. (It’s a safe bet that it won’t be long before we see the white paint applied in recent days on the tongue-and-groove ceilings and beams in post-and-beam structures stripped at considerable expense so that the natural wood can be seen once again.)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fountain pens, straight razors, and safety razors.

I mean, they never fully disappeared, but since the early 2000s, they've been coming back with a HUGE vengeance. The communities online dedicated to collecting them, restoring them, buying, selling and trading them, and using them as daily objects, have skyrocketed in the last 10, 15 years.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tuberculosis, practically unknown for about six decades over here it celebrates an exultant renaissance since end of last / beginning of this century.

Well ... sorta.

1651676018122.png

1651676052815.png

Turnip

„Now Hiring“ job advertising hoardings and banners on company fences or near main entrance drives.

^^^^^^
I’m hearing echoes of an old friend who bemoaned that over the course of his reporting career he had seen the “hiring hall” become the “personnel office” become the “department of human resources.”

He was a old crank, but the best kind of old crank. He had seen the collars in his town turn from blue to white, and had his doubts that that was a net improvement.

Last edited:
"Human resources" is one of those whey-faced bourgeois phrases that absolutely sets my teeth on edge, because even in the phraseology it puts the company at the focus, not the employee. I'm a worker, not a consumable.
I was romantically involved with an “HR professional” for a couple years in the early 1990s. We met shortly after she returned from a sabbatical at an ashram in India. How she managed to walk in both worlds will always be a mystery to me.

A factor in our parting ways was my laughing at her complaints of how little pay she was being offered by prospective new employers. The amounts were at least twice what I ever saw for my efforts.

Had I ventured off to some exotic land in search of spiritual enlightenment for an extended period I would have returned to NOTHING. I certainly couldn’t have bided my time until a better offer came along.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

Had I ventured off to some exotic land in search of spiritual enlightenment for an extended period I would have returned to NOTHING. I certainly couldn’t have bided my time until a better offer came along.
Absolutely. And now that I look back on my path with the wisdom (?) of 60+ years, I think part of my plodding, direct approach was that I did not come from a family or class that could teach me to network and leverage contacts, schmooze, play politics, use debt strategically, ask for favors and give favors in a Machiavellian manner, invest wisely, etc, etc. I was the equivalent of a naive farm boy in the big city. Shrugs.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/20...oming back to,returning to the Mexican market.
https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/MG-HS-crossover-driving.jpg
MG cars: After a 15-year absence, the MG brand is returning to the Mexican market. However, anyone who might recall the name from the days when British sports cars were a common sight on North American roads may be in for a surprise.

Following the breakup of the Rover Group, MG was sold to China’s auto giant SAIC in 2007, and although its vehicles are still developed in the UK, they are no longer manufactured there. Now, as Chinese domestic manufacturers start to push beyond the country’s borders, MG is returning to Europe and Mexico – raising the question of whether the U.S. might be next.

^^^^^
I’ve been seeing more and more motorcycles wearing old British brand names, and bearing a strong stylistic resemblance to their vintage namesakes. If it weren’t that I am no longer bulletproof, as I was on my younger days, I’d consider buying one myself.

I hear those bikes’ Britishness is largely tangential, though. The companies’ ownership is rarely if ever majority British, and almost all are manufactured in Asia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ