Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

Oops, I saw, that "Buscopan" doesn't seem to be available in the US. It's a nice allround-medicament for abdominal pain/cramps/spasms. I remember an relaxing calming-effect.

Roman numerals.

Super_Bowl_LII_logo.png

Today, I had to wait for my connection-train, so, I set the frist priority and went to the next supermarket around the corner to get a nice beverage. And what should I say? I choosed yummy old-fashioned CARROT-JUICE IN THE HALF-LITER GLASS BOTTLE!!

It absolutely didn't changed! Still including a little honey (and a little lemon-juice and ascorbic acid).

Delicious, refreshing and precious! :)

PS:
Just 69 cent! o_O

Remember when everybody just had to have an electric can opener? Like, late '60s/early '70s?

If I'm typical, lots of people determined that when those Brave New Labor-Saving Devices weren't in use they were just in the way. And they were a PITA to clean. In other words, more trouble than they were worth.

It's different for the arthritic, of course. From my perspective, electric can openers are as much adaptive equipment as practical kitchen appliance.

3fingers

One Too Many
Remember when everybody just had to have an electric can opener? Like, late '60s/early '70s?
With bonus built in knife sharpener! Yes I do. And you are correct, most ended up in a cabinet or stuck in the basement for exactly the reasons you gave.

3fingers

One Too Many
The can opener reminded me of another 1960's/'70's thing, the electric knife. I only really remember them being used at holiday dinners, but it seemed like most people in my orbit had one. They were popular wedding gifts for a time, but I seriously doubt they show up on many bridal registries these days.

The can opener reminded me of another 1960's/'70's thing, the electric knife. I only really remember them being used at holiday dinners, but it seemed like most people in my orbit had one. They were popular wedding gifts for a time, but I seriously doubt they show up on many bridal registries these days.

Oh yeah, the electric carving knife! Who could forget!

Last I saw one it came as an added bonus with the countertop roaster I acquired brand-spankin' new maybe 15 years ago.

The roaster turns out to be quite useful maybe a couple times a year, but it resides on a garage shelf the other 363 days.

I can't remember what became of the electric carver. Gave it away, probably.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I have the toaster, old TV set, radio, desk lamp, several clocks including the black Krazy Kat clock except the eyeballs no longer move and skate board.
In the kitchen pantry somewhere is a working electric knife that I use on Thanksgiving Day to slice the turkey.
How many things can you spot that
are in your house?

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, the electric carving knife! Who could forget!

Last I saw one it came as an added bonus with the countertop roaster I acquired brand-spankin' new maybe 15 years ago.

The roaster turns out to be quite useful maybe a couple times a year, but it resides on a garage shelf the other 363 days.

I can't remember what became of the electric carver. Gave it away, probably.
Ours gets pretty good use, but then again we like our roasts and beef sandwiches.

Ours gets pretty good use, but then again we like our roasts and beef sandwiches.

It's just the two of us here, so the countertop roaster comes out of retirement only when the "regular" oven is devoted to other tasks. But it's a good thing to have around for just such occasions. And they're remarkably inexpensive. They look nearly identical to the units I saw in use back when I was a little kid.

We had one of those electric knives in the house when I was growing up in the 1960s-70s, but dad, who cooked the big Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, refused to use it because "It tears up the meat too much." I always thought, "Who cares? We're just going to eat it." But dad took pride in whatever work he did, and would spend several minutes sharpening his preferred knives so he could slice those turkeys exactly the way he wanted. Having eaten a number of turkeys and hams later in life that were mutilated...er, carved with electric knives, I could see his point.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I personally always preferred carving turkey with the carving knife set if only because it's better handling. You can adjust to the little bones and stuff inside. For a big fat piece of beef that's being turned into sandwich meat, I use an electric knife because it doesn't really matter whether it's presented nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner