Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage things you're happy are still here.

At one time there were denominations of $500; $1,000; $5,000; 10,000; and $100,000. Now the largest is $100.

500_20bill_20front-v4lgud.jpg

5000f.jpg

10000-bill1.jpg

US100000-bill.jpg

Last edited:
A $5,000 bill figures prominently in Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye. After hearing that Terry Lennox had reportedly killed himself, Phillip Marlowe finds a $5,000 bill that Lennox had left for him as payment for driving him to Mexico. Marlowe, of course, is troubled by it as he done this as a favor.

Last edited:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Back in the day I used to have a nice currency collection, including a $500 and $1000 notes. Had to sell them when I fell on hard times. I think in these days with prices going up, re-introducing the $500 bill might be a good idea. They stopped printing these notes in 1945 and took them out of circulation in 1969 for "money laundering" reasons. The $100,000 bill never went into circulation, was used only for gold transactions between banks after Roosevelt made it illegal to hold gold (except jewelry)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If my memory serves me correctly, did not our U.S. Government issue some sort of "demand" regrading these bigger bills, for anyone that had them to bring them in, or that those bills would not be acceptable?

Gold has had many regulations about it. But no matter what, I would tell anyone that can buy some, to do so. Gold has continued to increase in value and perhaps will continue to just soar in it's worth. Gold. Can't get enough!

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Linseed oil, terpentine and colour powder so I can make my own paint. Once we used an old toploader washing machine to mix colour for a whole house ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If my memory serves me correctly, did not our U.S. Government issue some sort of "demand" regrading these bigger bills, for anyone that had them to bring them in, or that those bills would not be acceptable?

All gold certificates were called in by the Treasury in 1933 -- exceptions were made for bills of specific collector value, but in general civilians weren't allowed to own gold notes after May 1, 1933. They were required to turn them in at any Federal Reserve Bank for the equivalent amount in non-gold currency, or forfeit their value.

Most people complied, but there were exceptions -- it was the passing of a $10 gold certificate in November 1934 that led to the arrest of Bruno Richard Hauptmann as the kidnaper of the Lindbergh baby. An astute gas station attendant, not wanting to get stuck with a bill he couldn't spend, wrote Hauptmann's license number on the back of the note and turned it over to the police.

Gold certificates were *not* demonetized -- they were still official US currency. They simply weren't legal for private citizens to own or use.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've had an itch for quite a while to get a wired phone, circa 1960s or earlier. Can't beat the sound quality, especially compared to today's crap. Also, it's easier to wedge it in between your shoulder and ear without falling, the second being more wedgable than the first. So I'm glad these phones are still around and usable on today's system.

telephone-lg.jpg

dfp_500telephone.jpg

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars

Gold has had many regulations about it. But no matter what, I would tell anyone that can buy some, to do so. Gold has continued to increase in value and perhaps will continue to just soar in it's worth. Gold. Can't get enough!

Only the gold notes had to be turned in as Lizzie stated. Any denomination not a gold note was still legal tender. And today gold notes and any denomination is still legal tender. If you had a stack of $10,000 notes and wanted to buy something pricey, you can still use them. But those notes would be sent to the US Treasury to be destroyed. these notes are more valued as collectors items than money these days.

Very true. I've got close to 100 rotary dial telephones and all of them work on a standard land-line, though some will only dial on POTS and not on VOIP.

I've had an itch for quite a while to get a wired phone, circa 1960s or earlier. Can't beat the sound quality, especially compared to today's crap. Also, it's easier to wedge it in between your shoulder and ear without falling, the second being more wedgable than the first. So I'm glad these phones are still around and usable on today's system.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family

telephone-lg.jpg

dfp_500telephone.jpg

I love vintage phones....infact I have 2 from the 1950's..unfortunately they can not be connected :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot