Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage things you're happy are still here.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I would like to add 20 Mule Team Borax to the list.

Would you believe in the UK we can now only have Borax SUBSTITUTE? Borax disappeared off the shelves for a while then the substitute arrived (I guess so people might breath a sigh of relief that SOMETHING was still available). It is alright for some things but hopeless for putting in with starch for collars, etc. It turns brown like a scorch soon as I put the iron on it and it never did that before. Pah!

Glad we still have a quality boot repairer near us. He has done alot of work in the past for Officers at the Sandhurst Military Academy. His skills are fantastic, and his prices very reasonable. He also always says how much he loves our footwear and our style when we go in the shop. He gets our custom and anyone else I can put in contact with him, long may he continue!

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Would you believe in the UK we can now only have Borax SUBSTITUTE? Borax disappeared off the shelves for a while then the substitute arrived (I guess so people might breath a sigh of relief that SOMETHING was still available). It is alright for some things but hopeless for putting in with starch for collars, etc. It turns brown like a scorch soon as I put the iron on it and it never did that before. Pah!

Glad we still have a quality boot repairer near us. He has done alot of work in the past for Officers at the Sandhurst Military Academy. His skills are fantastic, and his prices very reasonable. He also always says how much he loves our footwear and our style when we go in the shop. He gets our custom and anyone else I can put in contact with him, long may he continue!

That is great about the repair place, as here where I live is a man that also does great repair on shoes and other leather products, he was taught how to do soe and boot and leather repair by his father and has all the older machine equipment to do the work.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Newspapers
Paper bank statements
Church bells
Loose leaf tea
Milk in a bottle

.....and people who can write without using 'text speak'

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's one for you all. Companies that are willing to stand behind their products, no questions asked, no ifs, ands, or buts!

I agree. I just bought a couple of shirts from a mail-order company, and a postage paid return label was enclosed with the order. That pretty much guarantees that I will do business with them again.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have NO idea where it is at, but I still have a blanket, has a "Davy Crockett" theme to it, had it since I was about 4 years old....vintage, oh yes!

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Full service gas stations. One in Rockland, one in Thomaston, and I know there are others!!
Dorman's Ice Cream, YES!!
Vacuum tubes
$2 dollar bills.

I've never had that problem with Borax, either. I put Borax and Sta-Flo Starch in the wash, then spray starch my collar when I iron and have never had it scorch.

Sounds like the knockoff stuff is no good!

It is alright for some things but hopeless for putting in with starch for collars, etc. It turns brown like a scorch soon as I put the iron on it and it never did that before. Pah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24