vintage toys

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Kaela, Jun 13, 2005.

1. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not yet, but it seems like Fisher-Price has been re-releasing classic toys for today's kids. While cleaning out my son's room, I was going through some of his toys from previous years (gotta make room for this Christmas' haul, am I right?) and I found one of the rotary phones on a pull string. You know the one, where the eyes move as you pull it.

Then it occurred to me: Kids today have no idea what a landline is much less a rotary phone. I'm pretty sure they had long been on the way out when I was growing up (I'm 31 now). The only person I knew who still had a rotary phone was my grandfather.

Since he's older now and more curious, he asked about it and I had to explain how phones used to have cords and you could only travel so far before you took it out of the wall. :D. I just found it humorous that the company would decide to reproduce a replica of a phone that was, at least for a large majority of the world, no longer in existence outside that of novelty use.