Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage trains

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I get to England, that would be on my short list of must take side trips.

Edit...the trip over that bridge above.
Do come, save your pennies, bring the love of your life, pre-book because tourists from overseas often get very favourable rates. Then when you achieve the goal that is on your bucket list you can do so with the indulgence of silver service, a uniformed waiter in a Pullman Carriage, hauled by the famous Flying Scotsman, whilst enjoying fine dining. Go for it.
flying-scotsman-pulling-pulman.jpg
flying scotsman seating.jpg
FlyingScotsman seat.jpg
flying scotsman meal.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Since we're discussing rail depots, here's the local vintage depot in my town. Built in the late 1800s, it's one of two original rail depots on the Illinois Rock Island line left. The inside featured modern amenities, but the exterior was 100% original. It was thankfully saved from the wrecking ball earlier this year by a local farmer who is paying to transport it to his farm where he wants to use it to sell tickets out of for hay rides and the like.
b6Mvvtx.jpg

uA3xTNB.jpg

lxnpg27xaz7rat0hsmxycfbzrsb5bua

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That station is well worth preserving, good to see it happening. History is a subject that's always interested me, that's why I became fascinated by The American Civil War. My wife indulged me and took me to see some of the battlefields. The battle of Lookout Mountain, one of a number of battles that collectively became known as The Battles of Chattanooga, was of special interest. So while I was losing myself in reliving history, my missus was enjoying the view from the top of the mountain.

Later, we visited Chattanooga, the teminus station has longed since closed, but thankfully it's become a hotel and the popular song has ensured the future of that hotel. If you click on the link you will see how the tracks have lines of carriages, these are sleeper cars and they have been turned into hotel rooms. Now instead of being nagged about having my nose in yet another history book, she will ask if I fancy going back to see more civil war battlefields.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i...ome..69i57.26188j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

fireman

One of the Regulars
Do come, save your pennies, bring the love of your life, pre-book because tourists from overseas often get very favourable rates. Then when you achieve the goal that is on your bucket list you can do so with the indulgence of silver service, a uniformed waiter in a Pullman Carriage, hauled by the famous Flying Scotsman, whilst enjoying fine dining. Go for it.
View attachment 127515 View attachment 127516 View attachment 127517 View attachment 127518
The Flying Scotsman? Pullman cars? Good food and those views? Perfect!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
An ex-railway worker has built a train and underground station in his own back garden. Stuart Searle and his wife, Dawn, have built the station after Mr Searle spent nearly 50 years collecting rail transport paraphernalia. Some of their finds include station signs, aluminium advertisements and a £5,000 chocolate vending machine. They later decided to create the stations after their sign collection reached a total of 105.
Mr Searle, from Hastings, said: 'I've never worked out how much I've spent on everything, I don't want to, I'd frighten myself. There is no longer a limit to how much I'll spend. The most I've ever spent is £5,000 on a fully functioning chocolate machine - but I've never put chocolate in it. Everything varies in price - I get a lot of stuff from the fair, so sometimes the stuff is quite cheap. The most expensive part was definitely bringing everything together and building the stations.
station-two.jpg
station-three.jpg
station-one.jpg
station-four.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
I recall back in the early 1990's driving around the part of the Willamette Valley northwest of Salem, Oregon and seeing scores of boxcars and other rolling stock just sitting on unused short-line tracks. And these were old boxcars. They had the manual brake wheels and catwalk along the roofs. Don't know if they're still there.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's an insanely cool pic.
Isn't it just?

Stratford upon Avon is one of the most visited places in the UK. Tourists soak up the Tudor buildings, the theatres and, of course, The Bard. But if the inclination takes you to Stratford, and don't be confused by the London suburb of the same name where the 2012 Olympics were held, get yourself along to the railway station and book a trip on The Shakespeare Express. The link can tell much more.
shakespeare express.jpg

http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tour/the-shakespeare-express-experience-2018/14

MissMittens

One Too Many
From a recent trip my fiancee and I went on a couple of weekends ago, just south of Philadelphia.

The train was built by Baldwin of Philadelphia in 1907 and was restored in 1997. For the railroad geeks, it has a boiler pressure of 190 psi and over 31,000 lbs of traction, whatever any of that means, lol!

train1.jpg

train2.jpg

train3.jpg

train4.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
From a recent trip my fiancee and I went on a couple of weekends ago, just south of Philadelphia.

The train was built by Baldwin of Philadelphia in 1907 and was restored in 1997. For the railroad geeks, it has a boiler pressure of 190 psi and over 31,000 lbs of traction, whatever any of that means, lol!

View attachment 139238

View attachment 139239

View attachment 139240

View attachment 139241
For the railroad geeks, it has a boiler pressure of 190 psi and over 31,000 lbs of traction, whatever any of that means, lol!
Whilst I do know what this means, I take your tongue in cheek remark, "Who cares," just as you commented on it. With an engine and train so evocative, so beautiful, who cares about it's workings. Having seen the stills of your adventure, I just had to see it on film: Fab-u-lous.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Whilst I do know what this means, I take your tongue in cheek remark, "Who cares," just as you commented on it. With an engine and train so evocative, so beautiful, who cares about it's workings. Having seen the stills of your adventure, I just had to see it on film: Fab-u-lous.

It was a very nice ride, and very evocative of the Golden Era....but I'm just not really a "train buff" I just enjoy the experience of it :)

No offense meant :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It was a very nice ride, and very evocative of the Golden Era....but I'm just not really a "train buff" I just enjoy the experience of it :)

No offense meant :)
No offence taken at all, it was a really enjoyable post. Did you ever see the adventure of our's, that's my wife and I? Five years ago we celebrated our wedding anniversary on board the iconic train, that is the Orient Express, and wrote about it here.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-orient-express.70706/

Not vintage, but the scenery and clickety-clack has a vintage vibe. I am not admitting to the amount of time I've spent watching this.

LIVE Train 24/7 Driver View. Train Cab Ride Excellent Winter Norwegian Railway:

3fingers

One Too Many
I love the winter train videos.
I've also wasted too much time watching the rotary snowplows clean the tracks.
Incredible amount of snow moved in a hurry.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not vintage, but the scenery and clickety-clack has a vintage vibe. I am not admitting to the amount of time I've spent watching this.

LIVE Train 24/7 Driver View. Train Cab Ride Excellent Winter Norwegian Railway:

The BBC has many a video sent in from viewers from which they make documentaries about steam trains from the era. Try this link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01277qd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points