Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage trains

Bugguy

Practically Family
I've always been a D & RGW narrow gauge fan. There was something about those balloon smoke stacks that I liked. They kept the sparks from burning down the forest.

Unknown.jpeg

hatguy1

One Too Many
Interesting vintage train story:

In late 1945, when my Dad, who was in the Army Air Corps, came home from Europe at the end of WW II, he arrived in New York City. He went to the train station to begin the journey from NYC back home to the little, mountain community of Nebo in western NC. When he got to the ticket counter, the agent asked where he was going. My Dad said, "Nebo, NC." He said the ticket agent immediately pulled one ticket after the next, never looking at any reference as to what train connections needed to be made. Absolutely amazed that the ticket agent could make all those train connections from NYC to the obscure little township of Nebo, he just had to ask, "how in the world could you make all those connections without looking anything up?"

The ticket agent replied, "because I just spent 15 minutes getting connections for that guy right over there."

My Dad said he turned around and to his surprise saw his next door neighbor, Charlie McGimpsey, who was in the Navy. They haden't seen each other since my Dad was drafted in April, 1943.

That is a great story!

omgur2

New in Town
One of the Side vintage TV channels (i have an antenna) showed a movie about the DGR&W this weekend, I wanted to watch it but got too busy. I visited the DRG&W RR in 1981 with my father as part of the NRHS convention that took place in Denver that year. It was GREAT! we even had a derailment that gave us the chance to get off the train on a cliff pass, todays insurance companies would have had a melt down LOL. That was a great trip out west, also rode the Pikes Peak, Cumbres and Toltec, And another in New mexico that I cant remember the name of. My dad was very active in the local and first NRHS chapter (Lancaster) and I rode old trains, trollies and other rails all over the east coast. Love those old trains and glad to see my 4 year old is taking to them also. Thanks for all the great pics everyone! most of mine are still on slides or buried in albums somewhere.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How many others here, have dreamed of having their own caboose in the backyard? I know I would! Thanks, Blackhorn.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you ever find yourself Chattanooga way, call into the former terminal station. It's been renamed Chattanooga Choo Choo after the song, you can spend the night in luxury sleeping in a restored passenger rail car. And in the UK there's always the ultimate living abode for train fans: A restored railway station

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Old number 168, in the Antlers Park, behind the hotel of the same name! Shes had her ups and downs over the years, but looks pretty good these days.
drg168_zpsd7nvs4ct.jpg

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Bro.

Here is "New York World's Fair, railroad exhibit locomotives." From 1939

SHORPY-5a18640u.jpg

I have mixed emotions about the streamlining movement of the '30s / '40s of trains as (1) there is a muscular honesty to just seeing the engine in all its functioning glory and (2) many of the streamlining efforts where slipshod, but there is no arguing with the above - man that is gorgeous.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have mixed emotions about the streamlining movement of the '30s / '40s of trains as (1) there is a muscular honesty to just seeing the engine in all its functioning glory and (2) many of the streamlining efforts where slipshod, but there is no arguing with the above - man that is gorgeous.

I have to agree with you, FF about the mixed emotions, FF. While this locomotive is beautiful, I love the more classic lines of the older styles.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with you, FF about the mixed emotions, FF. While this locomotive is beautiful, I love the more classic lines of the older styles.
British trains embraced both streamlining and aerodynamic styling. Here's The Coronation Scot, achieving 115mph.
[video=youtube;RcLHb1Kczy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLHb1Kczy8[/video]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And here's Mallard the train that still holds the world record for a steam train. 126mph.
[video=youtube;G42iDG8PeiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G42iDG8PeiE[/video]

And here's Mallard the train that still holds the world record for a steam train. 126mph.
[video=youtube;G42iDG8PeiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G42iDG8PeiE[/video]

Realistically, a steam engine has no real top speed. It would just beat itself to death---or explode. :p
The guy did mention how it would shake like heck and rattle at high speed. The faster it went, the more it would shake until it couldn't hold together any more. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21