Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage violin

$ally

One Too Many
From the photo and description it looks like a Chinese-made student model. You might need to reem a peghole, or two, if there are problems with a string coming untuned easily. A dang good deal for $5!
Do you play?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Since it was the daughter's for use in school band, I agree with you that it's a student model. I don't play, but I love the beauty of musical instruments, especially brass and string. Yes, it does become detuned rather quickly.

Lee

I'm a former band dork. I played drums and cymbals in marching band. lol

$ally

One Too Many
Yeah, it looks like maybe around $60-100 new. Those tend to need at least one peg refitted, or you can just buy some gunk to stick it. Not that you asked my advice, sorry :eek:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. No need to appologize. Anything I can learn from those in the know, I appreciate. :)

Two were loose. I carefully pushed them in and they seem to be staying, so far. But since I don't play, I'm not going to worry myself over them. :)

Lee

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
Two were loose. I carefully pushed them in and they seem to be staying, so far. But since I don't play, I'm not going to worry myself over them. :)

Yes, sometimes you have to really jam the pegs in in order to get them to stay. You can also buy peg compound at music stores to get them to stick. Also keep in mind that if the strings are new and have not been broken in, it will come out of tune very quickly.

I played classical violin for about 16 years. I have a lovely instrument at home that one of my past violin teachers offered to buy off of me to use as her performance instrument. I'll try to post pics at some point. It has a lovely, rich tone... but you have to have the right strings to truly bring out the best in any stringed instrument :)

$ally

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I played classical violin for about 16 years. I have a lovely instrument at home that one of my past violin teachers offered to buy off of me to use as her performance instrument. I'll try to post pics at some point. It has a lovely, rich tone... but you have to have the right strings to truly bring out the best in any stringed instrument
I look forward to seeing it.

Mr NewportCustom: If you ever do decide to play it, I suggest Perfection Pegs. They can really shape up a lower end fiddle: http://www.knilling.com/

$ally

One Too Many
I'm slated to be recording a fidil seisiun this month, so stay tuned (so to speak). I might use the instrument Dale Hopkins gave me as his protégé, to honor his memory. :(
I'm using this vintage vanity case, that Brad gave me, to carry my extra gear. I like how it looks with the '51 violin case that Johnny gave me.
2102557906_84e8135fcf.jpg

2101776403_ca0c625618.jpg

Do I get a lot of free stuff or what?

$ally

One Too Many
We're experimenting with a project right now that will be something new and different, but the Golden Era influence will definitely be there. I'm so excited! We'll see how the online recording turns out before we consider hit the studio. At least we'll have something to throw on myspace then. By the time we get that together, maybe I'll be past the need to be less conspicuous.

$ally

One Too Many
UPDATE

Wow, it looks like we'll be recording at Avalon digital in San Luis Obispo! If that falls through maybe Painted Sky studio in Cambria, or our bassist knows someone with a huge Tudor style house with an English pub and studio in the basement.
I'm so excited. Now to deal with the airport violin case & rosin hassles...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner