Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Waffle Makers

PoohBang

Suspended
I just picked this up last night...

It's a ToastMaster Model 2D1.

DSC06039.jpg

From 1934-1939.
DSC06032.jpg

Its in amazing shape and this weekend I'll be making some waffles!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've got one from the late 50s, but can't recall what brand. Works great, but the casing gets hotter than hades! So does the cord, come to think of it.

Rick

LocktownDog said:
I've got one from the late 50s, but can't recall what brand. Works great, but the casing gets hotter than hades! So does the cord, come to think of it.

Rick

I know what you mean. I have my grandmothers UFO type waffle maker. I couldn't find the original cord so I just use a similar cord and it works fine. My son loves waffles so he makes sure it gets used once in a while. :D

Jish1969

Familiar Face
My lucky day today, I just got back from the thrift store with this in hand...$4.95. there is a hardware store right next to it too so i picked up a new plug. Its an Electrahot style #148, and it sure does get hot! Saturday will be waffle day...

waffleiron001.jpg
[/IMG]

waffleiron002.jpg
[/IMG]

waffleiron003.jpg
[/IMG]

Geesie

Practically Family
My parents have a beautiful vintage waffle maker but it gets too darn hot. By the second waffle, they come out black. I wish I knew how to fix it.

Geesie said:
My parents have a beautiful vintage waffle maker but it gets too darn hot. By the second waffle, they come out black. I wish I knew how to fix it.

That's easy. Unplug it and let it get cooler and then plug it back in again when it starts to get too hot. I do this with mine as it has lost its regulation ability as well. Maybe it had something on the original cord but that is long gone. Fortunately, mine has a temperature (cold, bake and too hot:rolleyes: ) dial so I just use that to determine when to plug and unplug. [huh] :p It works fine as long as you know that it takes about eight minutes per waffle.

PoohBang

Suspended
I love the looks of that one Jish.. .good pick up!

I'll find out this weekend how hot mine gets.. but I also have a cool, bake and hot knob

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Not to get off topic here, but as I stated earlier in my post I picked up a new plug right after I bought the waffle iron, then I went home and got the old one off, open the new one, unscrew it and its broke. I get back on the bus and go to the hardware store to exchange it, get back on the bus and go home, unscrew the new plug, and ITS BROKE!!!!! I am putting the old one back on and cutting new cardboard for it now. There was nothing wrong with it to begin with, it was just missing the cardboard. I just usually replace the cords on old appliances for safety issues. Anyway the brand was Cooper, and it was made in Mexico so buyer beware...

Jish1969 said:
Not to get off topic here, but as I stated earlier in my post I picked up a new plug right after I bought the waffle iron, then I went home and got the old one off, open the new one, unscrew it and its broke. I get back on the bus and go to the hardware store to exchange it, get back on the bus and go home, unscrew the new plug, and ITS BROKE!!!!! I am putting the old one back on and cutting new cardboard for it now. There was nothing wrong with it to begin with, it was just missing the cardboard. I just usually replace the cords on old appliances for safety issues. Anyway the brand was Cooper, and it was made in Mexico so buyer beware...

:eusa_doh: :rage: Time to find that company online and give them a piece of your mind.

kampkatz said:
When appliances were made in the US they had a reputation for being sturdy.
Amusing that the original cord was better than a modern replacement plug.[huh]

If you can keep just about anything vintage original, it will work better. They were made to work well as the darned things were not cheaply made nor cheap to buy back then. You expected durability and quality workmanship. Expecting things made in the third world to come near to that is a bit much. ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
I agree. I think one day those who have these old things will be in high demand.

I used to work in a Kitchen store. It was hilarious the things that were brought back after a few hours. Pure d junk. :eusa_doh: lol
Toasters, irons etc.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I took apart the receiver end of the cord and cleaned it up with a brass toothbrush, then added some new brass nuts and bolts to it. I cant believe the detail of even this minor peice; they sure don't make'em like they used to. Hit the chrome with some brasso, and now its time for some blueberry waffles!

waffleiron001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

waffleiron002-1.jpg
[/IMG]

waffleiron004.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner