Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage watch repair

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Vintage Watch Repair Part II

Thanks to the suggestion of someone on this board many months ago, I contacted the Paul Duggan Company - "Horological Artifacts, Fine Timepieces" - outside of Boston, to have my father's 1930's wristwatch repaired. It was a significant repair and I am pleased to say I have it back on my wrist. It took a bit of time for them to track down the errant parts. The cost wasn't too bad and they even sent me (at no charge) a leather band that they said was more aptly the size I should be wearing and appropriate for the period of the watch. So, naturally I highly recommend these folks, too.

Ok, I admit to having to look up "horological." Horology is the science of measuring time. Always learning something...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I Missed Part I................

.........but Paul was good choice. I've dealt with him a few times and it was always a very enjoyable encounter. And, I know from experience that servicing vintage pieces can become protracted.

birdiepie

New in Town
Watch repair shops in NYC?

Hello, I'm not terribly new to the forum, but don't post much.

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but it seems if anyone would know, it might be someone on this board!

Does anyone know of a reputable watch repair shop or person in NYC? I'm looking to have a 1939 lone ranger watch repaired back into working condition. It ticks some, but doesn't for longer than a couple hours.

It's a nifty piece, I'm just dying to have it in working shape!

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested to know as well. I was given a 1940's Benrus that my grandfathers and being a bit over zealous, I over wound it.

Rafter

Suspended
birdiepie said:
Does anyone know of a reputable watch repair shop or person in NYC? I'm looking to have a 1939 lone ranger watch repaired back into working condition.
It's a nifty piece, I'm just dying to have it in working shape!

I've had success with this Midtown Shop.
Gordon Ron Watches Watches • In Business Since 1979
Over 26 Years of Experience • Master Watchmaker
Repairs on All Fine Watches and Vintage Timepieces

516 5th Ave. at 43rd Street • New York, NY 10036
212-869-8999

HOURS:
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

http://www.rongordonwatches.com/

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Watch problem question

My 1933 Waltham, which has been serviced and ran fine, suddenly stopped working.

I remembered it had been laying against my new blackberry case which contains a small magnet. Could I have accidently magnetized the watch and how damaging is that?

Thanks for posting.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's probably not permanent. If you ever had a degausing tool to use with tape players it demagnetized the head. A few care passes with one might help the watch. Yeah, a place that repairs music players, VCRs would be able to do it.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

kschurch

Vendor
Hey Brian,

What model of Waltham is it? I have a 30's Waltham Premier in rose gold. It was my Grandfather's watch and got me started on life-long addiction.

It too has trouble running. I seem to have to have it serviced more often than other watches I have, but it's great looking.

Has your watch ran nicely up until now?

Kevin

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
This happened recently to a couple of 1900-1930 vintage Waltham pocket watches that I own (I carry a magnetic money clip...DOH!).

I just took it back to the watch shop that did my repairs. He has a demagnitizing machine and he put it on there for a while and I picked it up a few days later. Now they work great. I just try to be more careful now and keep them away from my money clip.

The hairspring gets magnetized and so the regulation system won't work and the watch won't run. Eliminate the magnetism from the hairspring and everything's back to normal (or so goes my very non-technical understanding of the issue).

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks very much for that info. I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Between getting rid of the case or the watch...it's goodbye case!

dnjan

One Too Many
Another Paul's Watch and Clock Repair Success Story

I have been wanting to get a mechanical swiss skeletonized pocket watch for a while. I focussed in on a white Jean Marcel open-face model. Unfortunately, the prices I was seeing on various websites was just too much. Then much to my horror, I started seeing the websites listing the watch I had been drooling over as no longer available from the manufacturer. After much panicked searching, I was able to find a vendor on Ebay (from Hong Kong) called Giftubest, who had a display model available:
JeanMarcelOrig01.jpg

I loved the watch, but hated it. I really did not like the blue numerals, and I wasn't really crazy about the mixture of roman numerials for the main dial and arabic numerals for the seconds dial.

So, based on numerous recommendations from other threads here on FL, I contacted Pauls Watch and Clock Repair
(this posting is probably reminding some of you of the line from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" where he says ... remember Alice? this is a song about Alice ... Well, this thread is about Paul's, so I will get back on-topic)
I sent them a picture of the watch I wanted to get, and asked if they could redo the dial. and received a very prompt response giving me an estimated cost.
So then I waited, trying to build up the nerve to spend the money. Fortunately for me, the price for this watch was listed in British Pounds. Any of you who happen to follow the currency markets know that the pound really tanked against the dollar a bit before Christmas. I set an exchange-rate target, and when the pound dropped enough I placed my order. Giftubest was excellent with their communication, and shipped the watch promptly. I received it, drooled over in person for a couple of days, and sent it to Paul's. It took a bit longer then he originally estimated, but the result was fantastic:
JeanMarcelNewDial01.jpg

I had asked for more ornate arabic numbers for the main dial, and plain arabic for the seconds dial. And he also changed the second hand from blue to black (after asking of course, since I hadn't even noticed it was blue originally).
For anyone curious about what the back looks like:
JeanMarcelBack01.jpg

So, Thank you to Paul's! I can heartily recommend them!

Abyss

Familiar Face
Woah, that's a beautiful watch. I've been looking for a skeleton pocket watch... alas, my budget for one is basically thirty dollars. Not much to choose from because of that.

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, that one was a bit over $30. That is why I had been agonizing over the cost for a couple of years. Luckily, I found a less expensive way to get it (even including the cost of the dial re-do).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
That's a beautiful watch, dnjan. I like the black numbering much better. Paul did a very good job.

I used Paul's Watch Repair to repair a pocket watch, and was very impressed with their courteous, friendly, and fast service. I'll be using them again as need be.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks for all the compliments on the watch!

I am still at the stage where I am careful about pulling it out of my pocket in front of people so I don't look like I am showing off.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I've bought stuff from this business when in HK and I've always been satisfied. HK is a great place for watch auctions, by the way,

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Vintage watch-wearers. How often do you get your watches serviced, and who does it?

After mentioning in another thread on this forum, the general rarity of competent watchmakers in the 21st century, I am curious to learn who here wears vintage watches, and if so, where do you get yours serviced? (This may help other members who are struggling to find a watchmaker).

Also, how frequently do you get your pieces looked over by your watchie?

One of my pocket watches appears to have packed up (I wound it up at noon yesterday and it stopped at a quarter to seven this morning, and has been doing so for a week), and when I have the time and money, I'll send it off to my watchmaker to have him sort it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner