Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed - Ordering my first Aero jacket

Wallman

New in Town
Hi folks,
I am in somewhat of a difficult position... I want two jackets, but can only (for the time being) order one or the other. The choice stands between a premier range 1930´s Highwayman in brown fqhh or a Bronco type A2 in seal Vicenza horsehide and seal knits.

I'm currently in contact with Holly at Aero about measurements and details for the HWM, and her recommendations for size seems spot on. We would be adding length to the sleeves and body for either jacket (not trying to keep it close to an original pattern).

I'm tall, rather slim and do not want a boxy fit, regardless of which jacket I choose.

The choice is one of preference rather than anything else, but I cannot decide!! Which is why I am asking you, eminent members of the lounge, for your opinions.

The HWM would replace a jacket somewhat similar, my 70s goatskin jacket with a wool tartan lining. It gets used from early spring into the early parts of the summer (and a few cooler days during the summer). And then from late summer to the end of autumn. The weather here in Sweden (around Stockholm) allows for rather frequent wear of a leather jacket..

I would more than likely get as many- if not more days of use out of the Bronco in comparison, since I'd go for a mid-weight hide and cotton drill lining. I like them both, can't possibly decide between them. I feel that I will for sure order both in the long run, so it's a matter of choosing which comes first I guess.

The two pictures were found here on the lounge, but I can´t remember which member it was that posted them (will remove them if asked!).

Pictures for reference in regards to fit and model. (The first is a premium 1930´s halftbelt, rather than the HWM version, but the fit should be similar?).

Any- and all advice, opinions, ravings and input is most welcome!
This kind of fit and length.jpg IMG_4927.PNG

Last edited:

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I would order a Bronco first as you would likely get more wear out of it than a Highwayman and then order a Highwayman when you soon realise you cant live without another jacket.The Bronco is probably better for the coming warmer months and a Highwayman for cooler weather.Personally,I would prefer a jacket in FQHH to any other hide .You cant lose either way!

seres

A-List Customer
You mentioned that you already have something similar to the HWM… “The HWM would replace a jacket somewhat similar, my 70s goatskin jacket with a wool tartan lining”. So get the Bronco now, and replace your older HWM later. But whatever you choose first, it's a win-win situation! Good luck!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IT's all personal preference. I'd buy the civilian jacket first, myself, then leave the milspec for later. I find I tend to wear the civilian jackets far more often, and they typically have more practical pockets.
That is my advice as well. I have a couple A-2s, and I love them, but I find myself reaching for my halfbelt or moto style jackets far more frequently.

CBI

One Too Many
Wallman - It would make perfect sense to ask a forum of jacket aficionados (I suppose mostly self-proclaimed....including me) :p advice on what jacket to buy but as you can and will see, you will receive every possible opinion. Ultimately, do what you like of course.

That said, having owned close to 40 original and repro A-2's and 2 Highwaymans I would buy...........a Highwayman. You may end up getting more use out of it. Its a great vintage style that will be a little better for general wear because of a slightly more contemporary look. As much as I MUCH prefer A-2's, in the end I don't wear them as much and find myself so often reaching for a non A-2 when heading out the door. I do love Aero jackets but for an A-2, I would perhaps go with an Eastman (based on your location). Aero does make a great looking A-2 but I prefer the overall look of some of the most authentic makers. I think authenticity DOES make a difference in the look. That said, a well-worn Aero A-2 looks darn good and no-one is going to know the difference! No idea what its like in the "warmer" months in Sweden but neither jacket is going to keep you terribly warm so think about layering and include that in your sizing.

Wallman

New in Town
I should clarify that I was referring to the premier range 1930´s highwayman, not the regular HWM, which I know has a boxy cut! (Can´t seem to edit my post again).

Thank you all for your input! Currently I am leaning towards the premier highwayman!

Wallman - It would make perfect sense to ask a forum of jacket aficionados (I suppose mostly self-proclaimed....including me) :p advice on what jacket to buy but as you can and will see, you will receive every possible opinion. Ultimately, do what you like of course.

That said, having owned close to 40 original and repro A-2's and 2 Highwaymans I would buy...........a Highwayman. You may end up getting more use out of it. Its a great vintage style that will be a little better for general wear because of a slightly more contemporary look. As much as I MUCH prefer A-2's, in the end I don't wear them as much and find myself so often reaching for a non A-2 when heading out the door. I do love Aero jackets but for an A-2, I would perhaps go with an Eastman (based on your location). Aero does make a great looking A-2 but I prefer the overall look of some of the most authentic makers. I think authenticity DOES make a difference in the look. That said, a well-worn Aero A-2 looks darn good and no-one is going to know the difference! No idea what its like in the "warmer" months in Sweden but neither jacket is going to keep you terribly warm so think about layering and include that in your sizing.

I had a look at Eastman leather, they make some really neat stuff! But unless they would be able to add length I think it's not really a viable option for me. I sort of...broke.. their size calculator.. "An error has occurred please check and try again - Height out of Range":D

I too would prefer the civi jacket over the A2 ( I have both ). Why not get the '30s HalfBelt that you have in one photo? ( I have a couple ). They are trimmer than the Highwayman ( I have one of those too ). A good look for a slim body style.
HD

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Well, after getting your first Aero then it is just a matter of time before you get the second one. So eventually the question is which of the two you need to get first.
I would also go for the premier highwayman, tried one on while visiting Galshiels.
Keep us informed!

Edward

Bartender

Worth considering all options if authenticity matters to thebuyer. That said, Aero's A2s (along with all their other military models) have been significantly revised since Ken returned in 2012, and the Aero patterns at least are as good as anyone else making them (not sure if the Broncos have been redone, but I think they've all been revamped by now).

Wallman

New in Town
I too would prefer the civi jacket over the A2 ( I have both ). Why not get the '30s HalfBelt that you have in one photo? ( I have a couple ). They are trimmer than the Highwayman ( I have one of those too ). A good look for a slim body style.
HD
I think that I much prefer some of the "design details" of the premier highwayman over the half belt. But I have asked Holly in my last email about the fit- difference between the two jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland