Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Wedding Dresses

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
Btw, I can recommend an awesome and very inexpensive baker for you in Arlington if you are interested!
Is it by chance Paris Bakery? If so, that's who I'm planning to go with ($1.25/slice), but you know of another one, please pass the info along.

I went with my aunt about 3 weeks ago to look at cakes for her daughter's wedding reception, and we went by Paris Bakery. They showed us this cake they had made for a wedding the next day that had designs on it that matched the embroidery on the bride's dress. Lo and behold, I go to a coworker's wedding that next day and it was her cake we had seen! It was funny because I was able to report back to my aunt on how the bride and groom cakes tasted.

Beautiful wedding pics, by the way, fwgal.

mysterygal said:
I love vintage wedding dresses! they have such an elegance to them. ITG, how's the wedding plans going?
Quite well, I have the groom, dress, and location, all major components. :) Here's the dress:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2052&prodgroup=127
(The sleeves can be removed/tucked into the dress for a strapless look.)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful dress, Nikki!

Anybody also have links for vintage style wedding shoes?
(I'm using flats that look somewhat like ballet slippers (sort of) because my guy is the same height as me (I don't want to tower over him).

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
What a great post

When I got engaged earlier this year I went crazy on eBay buying up dresses, but many of them were-ahem-a bit worse for wear.

I would post pictures on what I'm going to wear, but my sweetie lurks on the Fedora Lounge all the time!

BTW, the Threadbender, Diana Ackerman is moving to Texas, so Bay Area brides will no longer be able to use her, but she does wonderful work.

Also, Theresa LaQuey is amazing at doing vintage recreations. She is based in Oakland and was featured in that book Vintage Weddings.

decodoll

Practically Family
Unfortunately, I seem to have mistakenly taken our wedding album to storage after we moved. :eusa_doh: I scanned a couple of photos that I had framed. They don't show the bottom of the dress, but it is tea length, and I wore white peep-toe 40's style heels. :) I also had white gloves, but didn't have them on in these.

This is my dad, not my husband. :D
wedding1.jpg

wedding2.jpg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
ITG said:
Beautiful dress, Nikki!

Anybody also have links for vintage style wedding shoes?
(I'm using flats that look somewhat like ballet slippers (sort of) because my guy is the same height as me (I don't want to tower over him).

ITG--John Fluevog has some dandy wedding shoes that have a vintage shape to them.

Also, if you are a size 6/7 I have a pair that came with one of my dresses. Pretty T-strap. Just lovely. I gotta get rid of those vintage wedding dresses! Must carve out some time to eBay it all away.

Oh, and I'm getting married this year--November 18th.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Here's a link:
http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w[]=attribute:Womens&w[]=order:fresh

If you were in the mood to really splurge, check out www.peterfox.com.
This pair has more of a 1920s "Louis XV-heel" (and the strap is a little chunky for my taste), but it has a nice low heel and overall vintage appearance:
795410RQ.jpg

There's this pair, too:
815510RQ.jpg

Also, I have a friend who wore a pair of white Remix wedges for her 1950s-style wedding. I also suggest this gold pair, as metallic shoes were very popular for evening and bridal wear in the 1930s-40s:
SOFTGOLDSTYLE103B.JPG

maisie

Practically Family
I wore a 40's wedding dress in a fashion show last year and I managed to get the shoes off ebay for a whopping $0.99! They were NOS and were a lovely shade of white/creamy satin perfect and they fitted!:)
So it is worth keeping an eye out on ebay!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I paid a pretty high price for the pair of 1940s cream satin platforms I have--turned out they were deadstock custom-made shoes. I wear them in fashion shows all the time :)

I have another pair of 1950s cream satin pumps that were about $50.

Vintage shoes are out there, but the sizing is harder to come by then modern shoes (for whatever reason, satin shoes always seem to be more narrow than usual.)

I found these online this morning:
http://www.1860-1960.com/xb375p0.html

maisie

Practically Family
Cute shoes, but very,very narrow, just like most 30's shoes!!

The wedding shoes i got are a size 9, but they are AAAA width!!:eek: I have narrow feet and normally fit into shoes either with 3 or 4A's, but they were still a little tight on me, being deadstock!!

maisie

Practically Family
Here is a picture of the wedding dress:

wed1.jpg

The whole outfit was fairly cheap actually the dress was about $40 and the headpiece which is gorgeous, it is a Art Deco shape made of out cream and oyster coloured seed pearls, was only $10!!!!:eek:

Rosie

One Too Many
These are vintage-y. They are flat, they are very pretty and wedding appropriate and, they're inexpensive:
0516_02409_dt.jpg

They come in a variety of widths. They're from Roamans.com.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Maisie!

You look so gorgeous in that dress! And I can't believe the deal--amazing!

Oh, and ITG--looks like Jitterbug doll was sweet enough to give the link. I just looked at the shoes--still button cute, but some of them have a black sole that may or maynot be your style.

Oooh, but those Peter Fox shoes are to die for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran