Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE Woolrich Hunting Jacket. MADE IN THE USA! c. 44.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
VINTAGE Woolrich Hunting Jacket.

Also, please "Like" my Facebook page, WaterhollowTweed, for previews of new items...

...and please check out my website,www.waterhollowtweed.com, for hundreds of other classic clothing items!

Dating from when Woolrich was still Made in the USA!

Tagged 44. Measurements:

Chest: 23 1/2
Sleeve: 23 (33 1/2 when measured like a shirt)
Shoulder: 18 3/4
Length (bottom of collar): 27 1/2
Length (top of collar): 30 3/4

Although this is not tagged as being Made in the USA, this wonderful jacket dates to the late 1960s or early 1970s, and so was made in Pennsylvania.

Woolrich were bought out last summer, and their production has now been moved overseas--so genuine USA-made Woolrich items are only going to become rarer. So, if this is your size I'd grab it quickly!

This jacket is not, however, desirable only for reasons of nostalgia--it's an exceptionally well-made garment that was designed for success in the field. Indeed, I find Woolrich hunting jackets to be better designed and more functional than Filson Mackinaws.

Cut from scarlet wool twill--a colour preferred for hunting before Blaze Orange became standard in the late 1960s and early 1970s--this jacket is fastened with five oversized buttons at the front; it also features a concealed placket. It has four flapped pockets at the front, for carrying shells, turkey calls, and other items; these are all secured with pressstuds. It has two deep slash handwarmer pockets at the front, also,

It has an oversized collar that was flip up to provide wind-protection--a feature that is lacking on Filson Mackinaws

It features a full-length game pocket to the rear. The sleeves feature storm cuffs, and are edged in suede for longevity; they also feature cuff adjusters.

The jacket has a quilted lining for warmth; this is printed with pictures of game animals, game birds, and hunters!

This jacket has seen real field use, and so has multiple small repairs throughout for snag holes caused by briars--these add t its character! It has all of its original buttons, and limited wear to the buttonholes. It is missing the interior waist drawstring--but you couldn't tell this when it is worn, and in any case you'd never use it. (This was often removed by hunters as it was just a distraction.) It could also use a dry-clean to freshen it up.

Overall, then, this is in Good/Very Good condition, and is a bargain at just $55, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB