Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage zippers?

Rufus

Practically Family
Mash do indeed have some talon..but they are all military spec.

I'm fixing old MC jackets, so sadly I'm still searching..

Bah..bring back buttons.. ;-)

Rufus

Practically Family
Mr BT!

Yup, Ghost Club, and the 3ds are great. I also love Superettes, Tall Dwarfs etc.
I lived in Wellington for a few years. Great bands in NZ!

I know the zips are the same, but the flight jacket zips tend to be on longer tapes.

I need to find 6 1/2 and 20 in zips on (preferably) black tapes..

I'd really prefer not to use YKK or similiar.

It's such a hole in the vintage market, I'm surprised someone like Eastman or Aero hasn't started offering them.

:) Rufus

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rufus,

It's easy to shorten a zip, or to turn an open-end (main zip) into a closed-end (e.g. sleeve zip)

Have you considered the short NOS Crown zips that MASH offers? They would make killer sleeve zips. NOS closed-end short Lightning zips are common enough BTW if ever you want to restore a British jacket (They're cool anyway).

Alan

Rufus said:
Mr BT!

Yup, Ghost Club, and the 3ds are great. I also love Superettes, Tall Dwarfs etc.

I know the zips are the same, but the flight jacket zips tend to be on longer tapes.

It's such a hole in the vintage market, I'm surprised someone like Eastman or Aero hasn't started offering them.

Rufus

Practically Family
Thanks Alan,

I must admit I've never tried messing with lengths etc..

It's always a possibility, but was hoping there'd be a more straight forward approach!

I'll keep an eye on Ebay..

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Rufus said:
Mr BT!

Re: Ghostclub, I think I saw you on the Myspace page.
Yes, I'm a fan of '80s/'90s NZ music- and "that NZ sound".
You must have seen Chris Knox a few times in New Cross then.

Jim and Denise are good friends of mine. Knew Jim in Auckland before
he came over. I stay with them when I come over for the Fedora Lounge London GTG's.

Re: Zips-
I'll have a dig through my un-needed Talons for you.
I've salvaged a few from junk clothing. Short and long ones.
As Alan implies(I believe), shortening them is the least of your worries, if you're going to actually replace zips.
The closed-ended zips aren't a problem to shorten and the long, opening zips- you just shorten them at the top.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
I guess its a/n American jacket/s you're a fixin to fix..?
Aero use repro Talons on black tape- see if you could scrounge a couple,
if they don't need to be too fantastic. Actually, I have one...

I also have 3 pairs of USAAF flight trousers- loads of brass CONMARs on them.
Nobody wants the pants- might as well kill them for zips...

I'll have a look next week- going to Stockholm for a long weekend.

Take care.

BT

Rufus

Practically Family
Thank you very much!

Hopefully catch up with you at a gig in London.. Give me a bell if you're in town!

mister7

Familiar Face
It would be easy to dye the zipper tape black. Just put the whole thing in the dye and rub some wax on the metal parts when you are done to lube it and prevent rust. The tape itself is cotton and should take dye easily, black covers every other color pretty well. Rit is the big brand for fabric dye here in America.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
'repro' Talon zips?

Could do with some advice here. I'm looking for a replacement zip for my fathers Cagleco G-1, about 23 1/2 inches long. I've found these on ebay...

0bf7_1.JPG

839d_1.JPG

They don't look bad to me. They also do them in brass. My question is, which one of the above pics is the 'non lock', and which the 'auto lock'... And which would be best (if at all) for a '50's G-1...?

Thanks, Mike.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Cheers BT. The Cagleco has a Conmar, my bad memory thought it was nickel for some reason...
I've had no luck finding a long Conmar on fleabay though, thought these my be a half decent alternative...

What are the ones from MASH like? Any pics? I've emailed Yoshi but didn't get a reply, I need to chase him I guess.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
That's because TagitPacific owns the rights to the Talon name. It doesn't necessarily mean the zips will be different.

ATF is probably referring to the revised Vintage range. Their headquarters is in Kowloon, by the way.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Im not a big fan at all of the 'talon' zip ATF had been using.
Heres a quote on ATF's ruminating on a better & more expensive M41 jkt
Update: Well, I got my wish. "Perfect" M41's will cost two and a half times what the current ones cost, mainly due to the 100% wool lining. The shell fabric is about 10% heavier. We're getting another quote for a 70/30 wool blend to see if that will drop them a bit. Either way that puts them at $100 or more. And, wonders never cease, Talon (Tagit-Pacific) has suddenly decided they can indeed make a pull and slide that is almost the same as WWII. I'll have to mull the idea of $100-120 M41's around for awhile. I'd buy one, but I don't know about the rest of you...

murena

One of the Regulars
hi to all,

i have also a problem with zippers, but i need RITSCH, Prym or Riri zippers! has anyone such a zipper?

murena

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
RiRi still make zippers, some are similar to the 1940s designs.
You should be able to get them over there.

I think finding vintage Ritsch and Prym will be difficult, without butchering a
vintage jacket for them.

This company, in the US has some new RiRis, which are "old style".
http://www.atthefront.com/

You need to look in "Fabric and Hardwear"> "German Uniform Hardware"
and scroll down a bit. You probably want the longer, open ended zip butI'm just trying to show you what you can get. RiRi also still make the nylon tooth zippers with nylon puller tab, on a wire puller, similar to one used in late War, LW flight gear.

B
T

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24