Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage zippers?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Aeroleather & eastman both offer reproduction zippers & some deadstock for their fine jackets.

Any recommendations on zips?
Any good sources for decent repros?

1537414412_f6804350f7.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I'm just disappointed by the zips & buttons on a lot of repros. Usually wrong color or shape buttons. And some zips are not the american male style, or just plain cheap.
I just picked up the pictured zip in the first post. Unissued. But I wouldnt mind finding a source for a decent current zipper, like a scovil gripper w/ a bell shaped pull that are on Avirex jackets.

this link for eastman's beautiful crown repro had me wondering what else was out there.
http://www.eastmanleather.com/crown.htm
1546646356_9c0319386c.jpg

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vintage/Repro zippers

Wow, I have to say, those ARE nice!! I bet they found the old metal stamping tools and fired them up!
Incidentally I know of a store in Indianapolis IN that still has TONS of Brass Talon zippers. The entire wall is covered with boxes: 20" navy, 22" navy, 24" navy, 20" brown, 22" brown, etc etc. I told the guy if they EVER go out of business, I will be there to buy the whole wall.
They also have vintage buttons, old thread, pocket lining, knit waistbands... god, I miss that place. :(

Jp

Feraud

Bartender
I am not sure about buying repros but my wife has a lot of old zippers. While browsing her stuff I noticed a bunch of Talons and a Crown or two. One zipper is approx. 7 feet long!
DSC02379.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

DSC02373.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Swift Zips

I bought an old irvin flying jacket a few weeks ago,and it arrived with a pair of very old Swift Zips on each arm/wrist.I absolutely love them,they look so old,and have such magnificent character for something as small as a zip.I found out they were older than my irvin,from the irvin thread in this forum.Thank you Andrew,Aswatland.
I will post a couple of pictures i took of them for you to see.I would really love to find more of these Swift zips,they are incredible looking zips.It would be great if someone would make a few exact repro's of them aswell.I am sure they would look great on some clothing these days.
My apologies.i will have to put a link to the pictures from the other thread.i can't upload them using the manage attatchments method.

1: http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/bloodgorged/18.jpg

2: http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/bloodgorged/4.jpg

I hope you like them,i think they're real beauts :)

Rufus

Practically Family
Repalceing vintage zips/zippers

My apologies if this has been asked before..

I'm repairing a few old jackets, and as you do, need replacement zippers..

I found talon is remaking a lot of their vintage style zips, but inexplicably I can not locate anywhere to purchase these retail.. (Surely they are missing a massive market?)

Any advice where vintage, (or vintage style) zips can be found ( I have of course kept an eye on Ebay!)

Cheers,

rufus

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Old zippers

I'll warn you in advance, this isn't much help, but I can sympathize with you.
I have heard nothing about Talon re-releasing vintage-styled zippers, but then again some of the ones you find can look old (pre-weathered, tarnished, you get the idea).
My personal advice is check out the old stores that might have a few floating around- I had luck with a leathersmith once. It makes sense if you think about it. Lastly, don't worry if it's too long, there is an easy way to trim them down and recap the top. If worse comes to worse, you can always salvage one from a trashed jacket- just make sure it's long enough and the zipper tape color will match! ;)

Someone DID post that Eastman Leather is making flight jackets with AMAZING reproductions of the Conmar zippers- does anyone know, can you buy just the zipper??

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rufus

You have tried MASH in Japan?

Alan

Rufus said:
My apologies if this has been asked before..

I'm repairing a few old jackets, and as you do, need replacement zippers..

I found talon is remaking a lot of their vintage style zips, but inexplicably I can not locate anywhere to purchase these retail.. (Surely they are missing a massive market?)

Any advice where vintage, (or vintage style) zips can be found ( I have of course kept an eye on Ebay!)

Cheers,

rufus

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
ELC has excellent repro Crown zippers. They will not usually sell them separately.

Alan

dakotanorth said:
I'll warn you in advance, this isn't much help, but I can sympathize with you.
I have heard nothing about Talon re-releasing vintage-styled zippers, but then again some of the ones you find can look old (pre-weathered, tarnished, you get the idea).
My personal advice is check out the old stores that might have a few floating around- I had luck with a leathersmith once. It makes sense if you think about it. Lastly, don't worry if it's too long, there is an easy way to trim them down and recap the top. If worse comes to worse, you can always salvage one from a trashed jacket- just make sure it's long enough and the zipper tape color will match! ;)

Someone DID post that Eastman Leather is making flight jackets with AMAZING reproductions of the Conmar zippers- does anyone know, can you buy just the zipper??

Rufus

Practically Family
Excuse my ignorance, Alan. .. Mash?

Unfortunately I've never seen Talon zips here in the uk.. so replacing vintage US stuff is a pain!

I'm surprised there isn't a retail outlet for this though.. surely there's gold in them there hills..

:) Rufus

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rufus,

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/

Go down to the bottom right of the screen and click on Talon.

You can order my email - the proprietor (Yoshi) speaks good English and is very helpful and reliable.

There is also an auction seller called Santi's Depot (Santi1) who often has recovered and NOS Talon zips. They are quite common. Talon is just a name now - the company is Chinese.

Alan

Rufus said:
Excuse my ignorance, Alan. .. Mash?

Unfortunately I've never seen Talon zips here in the uk.. so replacing vintage US stuff is a pain!

I'm surprised there isn't a retail outlet for this though.. surely there's gold in them there hills..

:) Rufus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21