Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage zippers?

murena

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
RiRi still make zippers, some are similar to the 1940s designs.
You should be able to get them over there.

I think finding vintage Ritsch and Prym will be difficult, without butchering a
vintage jacket for them.

This company, in the US has some new RiRis, which are "old style".
http://www.atthefront.com/

You need to look in "Fabric and Hardwear"> "German Uniform Hardware"
and scroll down a bit. You probably want the longer, open ended zip butI'm just trying to show you what you can get. RiRi also still make the nylon tooth zippers with nylon puller tab, on a wire puller, similar to one used in late War, LW flight gear.

B
T

B
T

hey belly tank,

thanks, but RIRI will only sell them to shops or onlly when you will buy a lot of zippers-and thats too expansive for one person. so i had to continue my search :)

murena

PoohBang

Suspended
it's not the best pic as my camera has issues at CU but here's an original Talon Fan tale to give you an idea of what one should look like...

DSC05410.jpg

John Warr

Familiar Face
Anyone able to identify this zipper ?

Anyone know this zipper ? It is on an RAF flight suit (don't know the vintage).

Is there a general repository of zipper wisdom ? I can't help
feeling that there should be, and my google-fu is too weak to find it :)

Odds%20&%20Sods.htm

(I have posted a similar request on vintageleatherjackets. My humble apologies if this is a transgression.)

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Mike1973 said:
Could do with some advice here. I'm looking for a replacement zip for my fathers Cagleco G-1, about 23 1/2 inches long. I've found these on ebay...

Mike this may be a belated answer but this is what I would consider to be an on going dilemma with regards to the availability of those correct length 1950s designed aluminum Conmar zipper assemblies.

First and foremost those Conmar zippers currently being offered by Mash http://translate.google.com/transla...jp/&prev=/search?q=mash+a-2&hl=en&lr=&sa=Gare in fact just short of the originals. They also lack the original style slider. What I have found to be the main draw back is not so much the undersize length of the fabric tape but the reduced number of teeth is clearly also a drawback.

Not withstanding, these same original or what might be considered NOS Conmar zipper seem to rarely make it to eBay. If anyone knows of where else one of these original and longer aluminum Conmar zippers might be available I would appreciated that I be advised as to there whereabouts!

Cheers!

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
In the past, I have found a good way to acquire vintage zips is buying up well-worn jackets – parkas, flight trousers etc.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of F1 Reed Products nylon flying trousers. The trousers cost £20 and they had 6 spring loaded Crown zips with leather tabs on them.

Also I have bought old parkas with full length Conmar and Talon zips which are the perfect length for an A2 or G1 – these cost me £20 and £25.

With some sellers charging £75 or more for a Conmar, Talon and even more for a Crown – this is very cost-effective!

A forum member very expertly replaced the zipper on an original A2 of mine with a Bell Conmar from a ratty old parka which was correct for that contract.

stillwell

New in Town
Just a little note
Talon (tag-it pacific) does make vintage zippers
http://www.talonzippers.com/fasteners/zippers/vintage/ (nice huh?)
but I haven't the slightest idea on how to get my hands on them
I contacted the NY office, the CA office, even they're Hong Kong office,

and I couldn't find anything
The reply from the NY office was something along the lines of "we don't sell to private consumers" :/

anyone know of a company that can order some?

John Warr

Familiar Face
Talon (tag-it pacific) does make vintage zippers

>The reply from the NY office was something along the lines of "we don't sell >to private consumers" :/

>anyone know of a company that can order some?

Rather depends on how many (or how few) they will sell me.

I have tried talking to Tag here in the UK before & its like talking to cats.

I will give them a call later and see if I can get any joy. I would be quite happy to buy a hundred or so as they are nice zips and we see a fair few repro US flight jackets through the workshop.

But I don't want to be stuck with thousands :)

Later.....

I have at least part of the Talon vintage catalog through. See here...

http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/Bike page.htm

Maverickson

Familiar Face
John Warr said:
The picture of the stack of zippers on that site look VERY much like the picture of Yoshi's stock at MASH :p

Yes, I appreciate it! As seen http://www.fliegerbasis.de/index.html, http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/cgi-bin/prd-eng.cgi?itemno=95-03-5010&ck=0 it looks to me that these two websites are sharing the sames wares. Even though they both carry the required aluminum toothed Conmar zipper assembly, problem being they are just too short.

Jackets made in those smaller sizes also require a shorter zipper. Why they did not make one size to fit all, and simply cut it down to fit is beyond me. Economy of size can be the only explanation!

As previously suggested, it's back to looking for a donor jacket.

Cheers, Dave

John Warr

Familiar Face
Maverickson said:
Jackets made in those smaller sizes also require a shorter zipper. Why they did not make one size to fit all, and simply cut it down to fit is beyond me. Economy of size can be the only explanation!

As previously suggested, it's back to looking for a donor jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Shortening zips is not rocket science - and the Conmar zips from MASH even come with the wherewithall to shorten them. We tend to buy zips in at 26 inches and shorten them down.

stillwell

New in Town
I just got 5 new Talon zippers from Talon International
they're made in china, but there is nothing on the zips that say so
they're also not very good versions of the originals, but they are somewhat close
I'll put up pictures as soon as I have them
I will also be putting an informational ad about them in the ad section

Touareg

New in Town
Mash Co. zippers can be orderd from these place in USA for those intrested.
vntagereproductions.com ( instead of Japan )

Cheers
Touareg

The last of the great ZIPPER MEN...

Odd that I would have stumbled onto this thread today... about two weeks ago the Wall Street Journal did a GREAT article about Eddie Feibusch (sp?) who, after seventy years is still THE man to speak to about zippers in NYC. With that many years and an inventory of a couple million of zippers, he MUST be the go-to guy. But hurry.... Eddie's not a young man!
The article...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/nyregion/19zipperman.html?emc=eta1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot