Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Violent reaction to first hat

Bart

Familiar Face
A kid doesn't like Daddy's hat?

The hat looks good to me, maybe a close up we could tell better, but does look good.

The problem in this country is the kids have too much to say and Mom and Dad say, "How high?" when Sonny says jump. Reading the replies seems many of you are more than a bit anxious when it comes to your kids.

Huh, I'd get the boot with that action, as John in Covina says.:mad:

Magus

Practically Family
gimmesomeshelte said:
All-

OK, here's a pic. My first hat is a Dobbs Jet. 4 in crown with a 1 7/8 brim. I know that many members like the taller crowns, but not me, sorry. As for the brim, I'm big enough to carry a larger brim (74.5 in tall, 215 lb), but I prefer brims closer to 2 in. Comments?

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=549280694&photoID=2366857360088654325&security=gtxxlj

Thanks.

Paul

Hey there Paul. You look great in that photo...and...well....that "grim" look on your face in the picture...try THAT on them. lol

I realize that this has turned from a "how's my hat" thread to a "let us tell you how to raise you children" one. But we (well most of us) have good intent. When it comes down to it each parent works it out or dosn't...raises a good kid or hellion. Sometimes even the best parenting in the world dosn't stop a kid from going wrong...BUT...you can't stop trying. So...word of encouragement to ya AND.

I think the hat is great.

Unless you are a 7 1/2...then it looks horrible and you should ship it to me immeadiatly for a happy home far away from the grabbing hands of teens.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Paul,

The hat looks GREAT! Keep it on your head and teach your kids about the importance of being your own person instead of becoming one of the sheep! The flock is WAY too big as it is...;)

gimmesomeshelte said:
All-

OK, here's a pic. My first hat is a Dobbs Jet. 4 in crown with a 1 7/8 brim. I know that many members like the taller crowns, but not me, sorry. As for the brim, I'm big enough to carry a larger brim (74.5 in tall, 215 lb), but I prefer brims closer to 2 in. Comments?

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=549280694&photoID=2366857360088654325&security=gtxxlj

Thanks.

Paul

I think it looks fine on you. You could wear a wider brim if you wanted to but this looks fine as well.
Tell the children that you will stop wearing it when they stop listening to music. :p

Regards,

J

funneman

Practically Family
I agree, get the kids involved, but...

My wife HATES my hats. She says they make me look old. I just turned 50 and started greying pretty heavily. Since I leave for work at 5am, I wear it to work and take it off before entering the house. My daughter, 11, LOVES hats and since she wears the same size as I do, we share. She loves to wear my Dobbs 5th Avenue with a stingy brim.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My daughters are 27 and 31 and both like the way I look in fedoras. My wife does too. I even fantasize that when seen in public some guys are thinking "damn that's a cool hat! I ought to get one of those.":fedora:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Funneman, give it time.

I started wearing hats full-time just a few months ago. Last weekend when I walked in and removed my hat to put it in the closet, my oldest (18) daughter said "by the way, dad, I was talking with my friends and we agree that you can really pull off the hat thing OK".

A vote of confidence from out of the blue!

I think much of the impact is on people getting used to seeing you wear hats. The more they are used to the look, the less resistance you'll get.

funneman

Practically Family
Thanks Pilgrim,..

I have been wearing hats for a long time and have been of the belief that some people are just made to wear hats. I really think I fall into that category. My oldest daughter is the same way. I get enough compliments from others, that the wife remarks really don't matter.

EricH

One of the Regulars
I've been checking in on this thread as my hat disposition has created the same kind of discussions in my house. One thing I learned a long time ago the hard way is that in most disagreements it's always about them (or me). Your kids don't want to be embarassed because they assume hats aren't cool. No doubt if you showed up at a public function of their friends and pronounced the coolest dad by their friends that would change dramatically. Our kids (and us) as teenagers rebel by being different than their parents. Giving our kids the chance to rebel by not wearing hats is not such a bad thing. In my house, my oldest son thinks I'm just weird (but so is he). My youngest son was anti hat til I talked him into wearing a mint Knox 20 (his size) to a grade school dance (I wore a grey wide brim fedora). He took over as DJ and was the center of attention. On the walk home he said he should probably have the hat since it's his size anyway ;) Oh, and my patient wife, she I think figures its cheaper than cars and safer than hang gliding. Eric (Stylin through the crisis of midlife)

Mulceber

Practically Family
Giving our kids the chance to rebel by not wearing hats is not such a bad thing.

Exactly. I think this thread has gotten a little too much into bashing teenagers, but you have to remember; they're trying to find their sense of style too (even if they're doing an incredibly bad job). Gimme, if and when your kids pull that again, I'd pick out some aspect of their manner of dress you find offensive and rip it off them in return.

With regard to the hat photo: not bad. Personally I think it looks a bit tapered on you, and would suggest a wider brim, but it definitely doesn't deserve the reaction you got from your kids. -Mulceber

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic