Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Volunteering

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I've held a volunteer "job" for about two years now. I curate an aviation museum and develop programs for a local aviation historical society (www.dvhaa.org) which requires a time committment of about 30 hrs a week. Occaisionally I do get paid as a "consultant", but by and large the satisfaction of putting together a great historical experience for the public is its own reward. I cherish the time I get to spend with my staff (mostly veterans) and visitors, and view this as my job, even though I'm not getting paid for it. It would be nice, but there are a lot of paying jobs I've had where I was miserable- that's never the case here!

$ally

One Too Many
I used to perform with a troupe in music, comedy and dance revues. Sometimes we did charity gigs, usually USO style for veterans. Sadly, the folks running it even had to charge a minimal fee for our "charity" shows to cover travel, sound system, costuming, props, etc. I'd like to do something like that again though. It was moving to mingle with the audience at the veterans shows afterwards and see how touched they were. It's nice to pay tribute and bring back fond memories to that age group.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Big Man said:
Thanks. I believe I remember you saying something about that before. Raleigh would be an interesting place to be a Fireman (seeing that we in the west think it's the center of h... Oh well, never mind what we think.) :D

It's not too bad over here. The basketball and barbecue is still pretty good. Everybody around here thinks Charlotte is the center of h...:D and yes, Raleigh was a great place to be a fireman.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PeeWee said:
It's not too bad over here. The basketball and barbecue is still pretty good. Everybody around here thinks Charlotte is the center of h...:D and yes, Raleigh was a great place to be a fireman.

Charlotte? Is Charlotte in North Carolina? :D

$ally

One Too Many
Back on topic, here is a clip from the last house building trip (that I missed)
removed
Hmm, I'm trying to post this with a guest pass so anyone can view it. I tried to embed but it doesn't work on this forum.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I don't vlounteer for nuttin'. Anybody else here the same? I do donate money, but I do not volunteer time. I catch grief for this, especially from my priest.

Priest: We'd like you to be on the vestry.
M8: No. Too much time.
Priest: You should volunteer your time. How about helping with the gardening?
M8: No. I hate that stuff. Besides I travel too much, and quite frankly I'd rather ride my motorcycle, read, surf the net (FL), date my wife, etc., when I am home. Besides I donate enough money to this place.
Priest: It's not about money, it's about "work".
M8: Don't lecture me. I work for the money. Besides with one hour of my work I can pay for a few days of work here hiring some gardeners.
Priest: We don't use gardeners.
M8: Well you should. Most of them are illegals and they need the work to feed their poor families of twelve kids and such. Surely you would rather help feed the poor, since you are priest, than have some upper-middle class folks come in here and "work" just so they can feel they have gotten jiggy with their souls again.
Priest: You are a difficult man, and what does "jiggy" mean?
M8: You are a difficult priest.
Priest: We need a new wheelchair ramp.
M8: Call a contractor and send me the quote.
Priest: Okay.

$ally

One Too Many
Well, that is very depressing on many levels...
I don't like that priests approach at all. Charity is something we do because we want to help. No one should be forcing us into it. It should be something kind that we do out of compassion, rather than something obligatory out of guilt.

Elaina

One Too Many
I used to go to the VA hospital in Dallas. And I'll leave out the time I got kicked out for decking a nurse, the many letters I've written and the sheer amount of garbage they put up with. Then I moved, and I have to find one where I can go, so I'm just doing the nursing home route (which is something else I've always done).

Been doing the visit old folks since I was 9, the vets since I was about 17, although from the time I was 5 and in Blue Birds we sent cards to them on the holidays (and not just Xmas, I remember sending cards for all kinds of weird holidays, my favorite to do it is STILL Appreciate a dragon day 1/16 and Kick Butts Day 4/2 which is also my B-day). Can't tell you why. They're sad, awful places to go. Advocacy sucks for them, and very few bother to find out how truly terrible places they are, even the good ones.

I don't tell people for the most part, I don't do it because of religion, pressure or karma. Just someone shouldn't forget them. God knows most of them are.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Normally, any volunteer work I've done has been with the homeless, specifically helping out in a local soup kitchen.I absolutely love it. Before I was married,I used to actually work with a church group that went down to the red-light district in the city i lived in at the time, delivering cofee,and donuts , checking to see if anyone needed medical attention etc..Many times we would just hang out and talk to them.Although it was based out of a Church, the converstions were rarely about religion, unless they brought it up themselves. It was really about just providing some company. On a few occasions,we were able to be part of some happy endings and helped a prostitute reunite with her family and move back home.I really miss all that. I'm glad I was a part of that when I could.

These days,between living with a husband with a disability and taking care of my Mother who was recently hit by a car, and working full-time, there's not much energy left! I am mostly cooing & baking for the church next door for their bakesales and turkey dinners.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot