Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waffles, anyone?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Lately I've had vintage household appliances 'on the brain' because I'm in the midst of having my 1920s vacuum repaired.

So because of that, when I visited a thrift shop this neat old waffle iron from 1923 jumped out at me from the appliance section, priced at $4.00.
I snapped it up quickly. Thought it was rather unique that it made waffles in this round pattern, but I believe round was fairly common in that era.

These photos were taken right when I got home so it isn't in the cleanest condition. Was amazed to find the original cloth covered line cord with it but the front knob appears to be a modification of what was there originally - loooks as though it's missing a bent metal bar that keeps the knob away from the main body.

Works great, it gets nice and hot. Although I haven't made a waffle with it yet... needs a lot of cleaning and sterilizing until I even think of doing that.

Named the "Universal", built by the Landers, Frary & Clark Company of New Britain, Conneticut, U.S.A.

Design patented Sept 18 1923
Pat # 1763991

Serial No. 7404B
Volts 110 / 120
Watts 60

Thought you may enjoy seeing it here in the display case.
Anybody else here have a vintage or antique waffle iron, or two... or dare I say more? :)

3774022478_2a0ce7063f.jpg

Looks like a 1950s UFO from the side!

3774019398_287826aaa4.jpg

The inside waffle grid needs a lot of cleaning! It should appear grey, not black.

3773215377_5a365cb4b5.jpg

3774027692_3f58b26e16.jpg

3773206037_c7e7e0e8b7.jpg

3774015118_d792116df3.jpg

Nice looking bakelite handles.

3774014038_6e1f420527.jpg

3773211161_22d3e32b60.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Beautiful waffle iron! You're especially lucky in that the cord looks like it's in perfect condition. Round waffles make more sense than square - unless you have square plates...

I've had several of these 1920s irons over the years and prefer them to modern irons. It doesn't need as much cleaning as you think. Those old waffle irons are like iron skillets in that they need to be seasoned. Yours isn't "dirty" - the black is normal. Just wash off any surface dirt, oil it up and you're good to go. Happy waffling!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Right. Don't scrub that black off. It took years for someone to get it ready for you to use with no sticking.

(Now, where to find an appliance repair shop like that with such treasures? )

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Saw the photos of that on your flicker page... swell iron! I'm looking for a early 30s iron... if I find the right one, I'll use it! Mostly I'll fix a nice old fashioned breakfast on Saturday mornings... served on Depression Glass of course!

Beautiful waffle burner... Er, I mean iron! lol Seriously, for those who may not know, these old waffle irons do work great, just have to "season" it right and then you'll side step any sticking batter to the grill. Just take a little time to learn but, these old irons can make some wonderful waffles, honest!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind comments and advice everyone.

Especially happy that Warbaby and scotrace wrote quickly about the blackening being proper "seasoning" and not just nasty old rotten batter.
I'm sure I would have soon 'gone to town' on it with bleach cleaner and possibly my electric drill with wire brush attachment!

The only thing that I'm a little wary about, safety wise, is the hinge where the top pivots. There are two coiled bare wires in that housing, I believe it was designed that way. If any wet batter should get in there... I may get a nice wake up call in the morning besides my coffee! :eek:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
RetroToday said:
The only thing that I'm a little wary about, safety wise, is the hinge where the top pivots. There are two coiled bare wires in that housing, I believe it was designed that way. If any wet batter should get in there... I may get a nice wake up call in the morning besides my coffee! :eek:

Show me a photo of the wires in question, I couldn't see them in the photos you posted... just the main cord and plug that attaches to the appliance. I'm sure it would be ok, if you believe it's designed that way, then it should work safely and not short out.;)

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks vitanola,

I love the song and the group, will have to find some of their 78 records for my Victrola...

Doing a little research on these old waffle makers now, looking through 1923 newspapers for the most part. Hopefully I find an advertisment that features a good photo or drawing of the same one I have in use. I found a bunch of ads for other brands and came across this neat one (much later era than '23) from 'Toronto Hydro', our City's utility department during that era.

3777258688_74c071b574_b.jpg

FM: I'll take a shot of those coiled wires soon.
They're underneath a metal cover at the hinge in those photos, but it doesn't seem very airtight. I'll just be careful not to spill the batter the wrong way!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Great waffle iron! If you have a toaster to go with it all you need now is a toast rack. And you are all set for a "breakfast party"!:)rolleyes: Don't laugh! I was reading my party book from 1935 and they mention a toast party!)

Samantha

RetroToday

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
Great waffle iron! If you have a toaster to go with it all you need now is a toast rack. And you are all set for a "breakfast party"!:)rolleyes: Don't laugh! I was reading my party book from 1935 and they mention a toast party!)

Samantha

Thanks Samantha,

I do have other vintage electrical kitchen appliances such as a G.E. "Hotpoint" toaster and a Renfrew Electric percolator that 'go with' the waffle iron well. Meant to take photos of them this weekend past but ended up going on a trip. I don't have a toast rack though... will keep my eyes peeled for one.

I'm not laughing at all about the toast party, might be fun depending on who's invited. Can't see myself doing that quite often though.

Looking through the old newspapers has given me a new perspective on this meal. Seems that it was quite popular to have waffles or toast during the 1920s and even moreso in the 30s as the great depression set in. It was an economical meal compared to most and people thought of creative ways to use their irons for meals.

I found several waffle recipes printed in the newspaper during the Great Depression. Will share them here soon for you to see.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Here's one of the old waffle iron related newspaper articles I found, includes a couple of basic waffle recipes.

One interesting thing I've noticed in the old articles and advertisements is that they tend to depict the waffle iron placed on the dining table to be used in some sort of a home banquet fashion - cooked right there on the dining table in front of the hungry and waiting family.

3794696230_8f8d5303c4_b.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Too cool!

Also, I wondered about your "it's unusual in the round pattern" comment (Eggo's and President's Choice waffles are round) till I realized that home waffle makers are exclusively square!

Great idea to use in the dining room - though I'd place a good mat underneath for the inevitable spills!

Show us some pics of the toast party!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
MisterCairo said:
Too cool!

Also, I wondered about your "it's unusual in the round pattern" comment (Eggo's and President's Choice waffles are round) till I realized that home waffle makers are exclusively square!

Great idea to use in the dining room - though I'd place a good mat underneath for the inevitable spills!

Show us some pics of the toast party!

Yep, round isn't unusual for today's premade waffles. "Leggo my Eggo!"

Thanks for the spill tip, I will post some photos in the near future of that party when it happens. Would love all of the items there to be of that era, but that might not be possible... yet.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yesterday I picked up a nice old early 30s waffle iron... I bought it from my pal Bill that replaced the cord on the HOOVER. Cost me only $15 bucks! It's not in perfect condition but it's clean. The chrome is scratched some but, it's old.

Made my first waffles ever in my life this morning... on a vintage waffle iron!!! lol I'm needing to practice a little but, the second one came out much better.

I'll post photos of it soon... after I finish cleaning up the kitchen after my one good waffle! lol lol lol

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
Yesterday I picked up a nice old early 30s waffle iron...

Great! Of course, I'd love to see it. That neighbour of yours is such a great resource for this stuff. I wonder if there's somebody like that near my house... will have to start canvassing the neighbours... :p I still have yet to try mine out. Will have to set some time aside soon to do some serious waffling.

Foofoogal: Neither have I, hope I don't burn too many as I learn. Actually, I have not cooked a real waffle in my life... and I have only previously eaten the prepackaged frozen stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner