Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wall Street Journal Story On Hats Revival

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It is an interesting article. And it reflects many ideas discussed across this Forum. Thanks for sharing it with us this morning. ;)

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Other guys base decisions on whether to remove their hats on how classy a joint is. Luis Quaresma, of San Jose, Calif., who likes wearing fedoras, says "If I'm going for fast food, I'll leave it on. If I'm having a nice sit-down dinner, I'll take it off." When out at a party or club, the 30-year-old says, "I don't take my hat off unless girls want me to take it off."

This seems like sage advice.

Some younger men do follow the traditional rules of indoor hat etiquette but it isn't always appreciated. "It came back crushed," recalls 30-year-old Vasabjit Banerjee, of the fedora he turned over to the coat check at a restaurant a little over a year ago.

I too have found that coat checks need more training when it comes to hats in this day & age.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Mr. Paladin said:
That was an interesting read; thanks for the post....and welcome! It looks like you are new to the Lounge!

Thank you for the welcome. Been browsing for a while, but still have an awful lot to learn about hats so holding back on posting too much......for now!

Thanks to the Lounge I recently acquired my first Akubra - a heritage fawn Banjo Paterson - a wonderful hat. Only my second fur felt to add to a grey Tonak fedora. But it certainly won't be the last. I suspect I've been firmly bitten by the bug!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hat Etiquette Issues... in Elementary Schools?

Who would have thought elementary schools would be dealing with hat etiquette issues?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kids didn't wear fedoras in the 1940's and 1950's.

This is a whole new level of popularity.

The video is pretty good, too. Check it out.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but kids didn't wear fedoras in the 1940's and 1950's.

I didn't think so either, but not too long ago someone posted some scans from an old magazine (I think it was Hat Life) that had a feature on boys' hats, and pictured boys wearing pork pies and fedoras. I tried searching for it but couldn't find it.

obie

New in Town
I immediately noticed the article

When I opened my Ipad this morning to read the WSJ. Quickly I opened up this forum and it is already mentioned. It is good to hear that there are some positive news stories about our beloved hats!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Some of the "I make up my own rules" comments rubbed the wrong way, but perhaps the increased popularity of hats will, at a minimum, reduce the "comments you receive about..." incredulity people feel at seeing them worn, as well as generate thought on etiquette in the new century.

bradford

Familiar Face
The unfortunate part of this is that hats are trendy which means that when they go back out of style, the rest of us hat wearers will once again be questioned as to "why" we are wearing hats.

Then again, most of the members on this forum aren't concerned about being in style, so it's not really an issue.

Hopefully by exhibiting common courtesy and actually taking off hats while indoors we can be seen as different than these hipsters.

softouch

New in Town
Hat Off...

In a home (including my own); in a church, or other place of religion; at the table; in an office, in a cemetary, especially at a grave site; when speaking to or meeting a lady; as a funeral procession passes; in a movie theater, after sitting; when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance; when the American Flag is being raised/lowered, or passes in a parade; during the singing or listening to the National Anthem; while sleeping in bed, excepting a night cap;

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The WSJ article is pretty funny, but lacks the total disregard for the real world that makes some of the other media reports so amusing. Choice nuggets include the folks who have been wearing hats for a whole two years, and the guy with the hat that cost (gasp) $80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran