Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Wally, can you please pass me the asbestos gloves?"

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I love that episode, when Larry spends the night and Ward cooks up some burnt burgers, distracted by all the mayhem.

My question is, are you aware of certain items that may be hazardous to collect? I know some old china was made with lead. I also know that some radioactive materials were used on old clocks.

What kind of dangers lurk in collecting (besides vintage cooties)?

Supposedly the lead in lead crystal is also bad for you but the old china and crystal are both fine as long "as you don't use them frequently" is the concensus from most people. I used them both frequently and I only glow at night. I eliminates the need for a night light. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Boy, am I glad you asked that question, PrettySquareGal!

My friend David has an amazing collection of antique (circa 1900) absinthe glasses and carafes. In his own words:

"The glassware below was made from pale lime-green uranium glass. In the photo at right, you can see them under ultraviolet light, showing the characteristic flourescence caused by the presence of radioactive compounds (uranium dioxide) in the glass. Because of its mysterious greenish tinge, this type of glassware, first manufactured in the mid 19th century, was particularly appropriate for use with absinthe."

Uranium-Glass-Day-21KB.jpg
-----
Uranium-Glass-UV-I-381x392.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Boy, am I glad you asked that question, PrettySquareGal!

My friend David has an amazing collection of antique (circa 1900) absinthe glasses and carafes. In his own words:

"The glassware below was made from pale lime-green uranium glass. In the photo at right, you can see them under ultraviolet light, showing the characteristic flourescence caused by the presence of radioactive compounds (uranium dioxide) in the glass. Because of its mysterious greenish tinge, this type of glassware, first manufactured in the mid 19th century, was particularly appropriate for use with absinthe."

Uranium-Glass-Day-21KB.jpg
-----
Uranium-Glass-UV-I-381x392.jpg

WOW! I looked it up, here's more info:

http://1st.glassman.com/vaselineglass.html

I was not aware of this before. Thanks for posting!

I use asbestos gloves almost every day (shhhhh, don't tell the administrators. They - the gloves, for damn sure not the administrators - work better than the modern ones. We keep 'em hidden. Wish we could keep the administrators hidden). So long as ye'r nae stoopit enough tae chew on 'em, ye'll be fine, eh?

Now, when i worked at a grain-drying plant i was exposed to asbestos dust when breaking up and old drying oven roof. Now that was dangerous. Nowt wrong with asbestos, so long as you don't inhale the dust ...

bk

There was a huge scandal at the Timex factory - i think in Glasgow; don't recall exactly where - where the glowing watch hands/hour markers were painted with radioactive paint. The people painting them would lick the paint brushes to get a fine point (as you do). Massive hotspot of tongue and throat cancer, that neighbourhood ...

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Zuni fetish dolls can be very dangerous - especially if you knock the belt off.

13.jpg

Don't believe me? Ask Karen Black.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"Zuni fetish dolls can be very dangerous -

especially if you knock the belt off. "
Amen, Brother!:(

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
aniline dyes

I know for certain that many 19th century items were dyed with potentially dangerous substances, such as arsenic, which were used to make certain shades of green. I have a c.1850's bonnet in a lovely shade of green that was possibly dyed with a copper-arsenic compound. I keep meaning to take a little sample to the chemistry lab here on campus to see, but I havent gotten around to it yet. People actually died or got sick from wearing clothing made from copper-arsenic dyes... I dont know how long you have to wear the stuff, or how often to have to come in contact with it... but just to be safe, I dont handle that particular bonnet much, and when I do I always wear gloves. (as I should with all of my early 19th century items, but sometimes I forget.)

here is an article about "killer wallpaper" painted with aniline dyes.

http://www.popularscience.co.uk/features/feat17.htm

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PrettySquareGal said:
Oh, I also learned that Fiestaware is radioactive!

Not all Fiestaware, but SOME - namely two colors have minor trace amounts of uranium. Both are pretty rare these days. Ivory costs an arm and a leg if you can find it. You can occasionally find a piece in "radioactive red" for not that outrageous a price. I've got one salad plate in it just because someone invariably ask about it at parties. Of course, they're always sure scarlet, the newer red, has to be the "bad color." Radioactive red's more of a red-orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy