Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walmart encounter

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
I find pretending that one does not actually speak English, a great boon. Answer in language of choice...saying something completely random like 'The tea kettle is boiling' in Russian or "why yes, the amazon is rainy!' in Portuguese are my current favorites. This leaves them clueless.

i'm reminded of the monty python skit with the phrase "my hovercraft is full of eels"

Merlin

Familiar Face
Polka Dot said:
This seems like the best response. Somehow I don't think I'd think of it if something like this happened to me, though. I'm like George Costanza, thinking of comebacks hours after the fact.

Ah, yes, what the French refer to as "L'esprit d'escalier". But something tells me that, simply by virture of your being here, you dress far better than George Costanza!

Merlin

Familiar Face
Hemingway Jones said:
...Perhaps it's a New England thing. Even in Boston, one of the rudest cities in the country, I rarely, if ever, hear a comment, anywhere, but I must admit, I have never been in a Walmart. We don't have them here.

I think the closest one to Boston is in Framingham. Funny, that there are no Wal-Marts inside 128. . . then again, that's not really a bad thing!

sunflo9968

New in Town
This wonderful event took place in Jersey! About 40min outside NYC.
"down the shore". This punk in this part of the state is refered to as
a "shoebee" or a "Benee" in the summer. They emtpy the city of this waste
in the summer, and they all come down the shore.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Merlin said:
Ah, yes, what the French refer to as "L'esprit d'escalier". But something tells me that, simply by virture of your being here, you dress far better than George Costanza!
Hello Merlin, something tells me you're a Severin fan. ;)
Thanks for the information on Walmart. I bought a multi-tool from them once, but I did it on-line. :)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Merlin said:

Thank you. :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Is that ... velvet?

Polka Dot said:
This seems like the best response. Somehow I don't think I'd think of it if something like this happened to me, though. I'm like George Costanza, thinking of comebacks hours after the fact.

But are you like him in enjoying being draped in velvet? lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Polka Dot said:

I'm not good at repartee, either, and I'm not very verbal. George Bush and I are kindred spirits when it comes to extemporaneous speaking. Keeping it short and sweet works best for me.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
MikeBravo said:
But are you like him in enjoying being draped in velvet? lol

Haha. You know, the funniest thing about George's belated comeback was that it was pretty pitiful, as far as repart?©e goes: "Yeah, well, the jerk store called and it's running out of you!"

Paisley said:
I'm not good at repartee, either, and I'm not very verbal. George Bush and I are kindred spirits when it comes to extemporaneous speaking. Keeping it short and sweet works best for me.

I just don't bounce back well if I feel like someone's criticizing me....except if it's a good friend or family member. Now that I think about it, though, it's not just when I'm criticized. A couple of weeks ago I was walking to work and was stopped by a couple of young men in suits. Halfway down the next block it occurred to me that they were hitting on me. :eusa_doh:

Christopher

New in Town
I had a run in with someone at the mall the other day that was rude. While in route to the local EB Games, a woman came up to me and I was wearing my leather trench with a fedora, olive green vest, white shirt, dark pants and rather art deco tie.

She had a pink pull on sweat pants (way too small for her by the way) and a pink sweat shirt of slightly different color with some sort of macram?© sewn on attachments.

She demanded in an accusatory tone, "Why do you dress that way?"

In my usual deadpan monotone, I replied, "Because public nudity is illegal, and with some people, thank the Gods."

I have a tendency to say things without really thinking. Later on reflection I regret lowering myself to her level.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
yer sayin' George ain't cool?!

George and Elaine are in Jerry's car. George is wearing a new hat.

episode39.jpg

GEORGE: I really think it looks good.

ELAINE: Ten bucks, how can you go wrong?

GEORGE: All bald people look good in hats.

ELAINE: You should have lived in the twenties and thirties, you know men wore hats all the time then.

GEORGE: What a bald paradise that must have been. Nobody knew.

ELAINE: Well, you can wear a hat all the time now. Who's stopping you?

GEORGE: No, I can't. What if I meet a woman? I'd always be worried about that first moment where I'd take it off and see that look of disappointment on her face.

ELAINE: Are you sure you like these sunglasses?

Elaine moves the rear view mirror so she can check out her sunglasses and this causes George to swerve and hit something.

SHEILA: Hey, that's a great hat.

GEORGE: Really? You like it? I got it at a flea market today.

NEWMAN: Hey George, nice hat.

GEORGE: Yeah, thanks.

NEWMAN: Can I try it on?

GEORGE: No! It, uh, it wouldn't fit you.

NEWMAN: Well sure it would.

GEORGE: No! Get out of here, Newman.

NEWMAN: Come on, let me try it on.

GEORGE: No, Newman, stop it.

SHEILA: Let him try it on.

GEORGE: I don't want him to!

SHEILA: What is wrong with you?

GEORGE: You wanna see?! (pulling off the hat to reveal the bald pate) There! There it is! (turning to Newman) Alright, here! You wanna try on the hat?! Here! Try on the hat!

NEWMAN: Stop it, George, stop it. I was defending your parking.

GEORGE: Alright, just keep the hat!

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Hello Merlin, something tells me you're a Severin fan. ;)
Thanks for the information on Walmart. I bought a multi-tool from them once, but I did it on-line. :)

If you get really ambitious, you can drive out to Lynn or Peabody.
Personally, I try to avoid the place like the plague.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Christopher said:
I had a run in with someone at the mall the other day that was rude. While in route to the local EB Games, a woman came up to me and I was wearing my leather trench with a fedora, olive green vest, white shirt, dark pants and rather art deco tie.

She had a pink pull on sweat pants (way too small for her by the way) and a pink sweat shirt of slightly different color with some sort of macram?© sewn on attachments.

In my usual deadpan monotone, I replied, "Because public nudity is illegal, and with some people, thank the Gods."

sunflo9968 said:
Hi all , I've been a lurker for a while. Well, i was in walmart the other day
wearing my nice charcoal overcoat. This guy walks up to me dressed in
swat boots, sweat pants, and a nylon jacket with his gut hanging out. He says to me "Your overdressed!". I said to him "Your not, just get out of bed?"
He replies"I dress like this all the time." I said "sorry to see that, have a nice day. Has this happened to any of you?

Snappy. Movie fast-talk worthy, even.
xyxthumbs.gif

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Christopher said:

I have a tendency to say things without really thinking. Later on reflection I regret lowering myself to her level.

You didn't lower yourself at all. Great comeback.

GOK said:
I agree - even when I was spat at in the street earlier this year.
Hoy Smoke! You were spat at?!!!!
I can't understand that reaction from anybody over being well dressed or dressed in vintage.

Could you describe what you were wearing at the time?

Did they say anything?

I can't imagine what they were thinking of you to come up with spitting.

Weird , that is totally weird.:eusa_doh:

Sincerely,

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is it with spitting?

When I was modeling some years ago, I was spat at by some hooligans who had climbed up to the top of the bridge we were at the base of. It was Independence Day so they had an audience. I was wearing a lovely silk dress I'd made and the cutest flat shoes. The crowd became quite angry at the thugs, who then scooched down and scurried off. Jerks. Why was there a photo shoot then and there? The client wanted a bridge and fireworks. When I get a scanner I will post the pictures, they came out nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran