Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warbird pics

hatguy1

One Too Many
From time to time vintage warbirds stop in our area. Here's some pictures I've taken of some of them that have came by over the years. Enjoy.

If you have any of your own to share, I hope you'll post them.

This is the Memphis Belle movie mockup

Memphis Belle, June 1, 2013 0 takeoff 0 BEST.jpg
Memphis Belle nose art.jpg

This was the B-17G "Liberty Belle"
B17G Liberty Bell.jpg
B17G Liberty Bell Nose Art-M.jpg

Sadly, the Liberty Belle was lost to a fire an engine fire a few years back. Her crew did a great job of securing the engine and landing in a field off-airport, but the field was too muddy for fire equipment to reach it and she burned up.
b-17-flying-fortress-crash.jpg

Our most recent visitor was B-25J Mitchell medium bomber "Maid in the Shade."
B-25J Maid in the Shade 1.jpg

Last edited:

stu48

New in Town
here are a couple i took at yeovil fleet air arm there not the best was just getting used to my new digi slr

Last edited:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Those are neat! I like the Hawker Hunter in the background, I did not know the RAF was still using them. Is that the Vulcan that is being restored to flight status?

Mike

stu48

New in Town
Those are neat! I like the Hawker Hunter in the background, I did not know the RAF was still using them. Is that the Vulcan that is being restored to flight status?

Mike

Hi Mike

There are a few of airworthy hunters in the uk not in RAF service but flown by private firms i believe exeter airport and kemble airfield are the ones nearest to me . we also have meteors venoms and sea vixens on the airshow circuits as well . the vulcan you see is the only airworthy example left in the world she is stunning and she allways brings a lump to my throat when i see her fly . here is some info cheers stu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan_XH558

hatguy1

One Too Many
Recently, I had opportunity to look inside an operational C-46 Commando that nowadays flies fuel oil etc out to remote Alaskan Villages. What a treat!

The C-46 has over 30,000 hours on it now.

Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 0.jpg Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 1 Cockpit Instrument Panel WA 4 OH panel .jpg Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 5.jpg Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 1 Cockpit Instrument Panel 00 WA.SMALLER.jpg Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 1 Cockpit Instrument Panel WA 3 Throttle quadrant 1 SMALLER.jpg Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel C-46 3 Two 1000 gal fuel oil tanks SMALLER.jpg

There was also a DC-6 performing the same role. The one with Howard Hughes' portrait painted on the side had been owned by him early on. He only put (depending on the source of the info, between 10 and) 17 hours on it before parking it. It now has 27,000 hours on it according to its mechanic.

Attachments

• Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 0 2009 picture 1.jpg
    Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 0 2009 picture 1.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 1 Howard Hughes .jpg
    Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 1 Howard Hughes .jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 2 R-2800 CU .jpg
    Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 2 R-2800 CU .jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 0 2009 picture 2.jpg
    Kenai, AK Everts Air Fuel DC-6 0 2009 picture 2.jpg