Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warning...is this PayPal email a scam...?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just received this on my HotMail email address (which is unusual to be contacted here by PayPal). I haven't opened the link (haven't pasted the full link in), as I'm suspicious to this being legit, or a scam. Any advice?

Dear PayPal valued member,

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for
its community of buyers and sellers.

To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs
some of the most advanced security systems in the world
and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal
system for unusual activity.

Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual
activity in your account.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure
that your account has not been compromised, access to
your account was limited.

To restore your account please click on the link bellow:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

If you fail to restore your account access by the date
shown below, your account will be closed.

This notification expires on the 3rd of March, 2005.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sounds odd. By how I read it, it's like a credit company that thinks your card may have been hijacked.

You're right to be suspicious. Did you ever give them your Hotmail account as a backup?

I'd send them an email through their site and voice your concerns then wait for a response from someone un-automated.

SpykiE

New in Town
That definitely sounds fishy......normally Paypal will never ask you for something like that. I would take Matt's advice and simply send an email and wait for a real person to contact you... in this day and age you can never be too sure! Keep us posted on what happens.

Brad

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I call scam, especially if it's been mailed to an address otherwise not associated with your account.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paddy, I believe Paypal always addresses you in emails by your full name, not "Paypal Member". Don't repond to it!
flat-top

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Take a look at this link.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/general/SecuritySpoof-outside

I get those kind of emails all the time. I just forward them to the address Wingnut gave. These emails will even put links in there that look like a valid Paypal address, but it might have https:// instead of http://
Definitely good to be cautious and if you have to go to the Paypal site, type in the real Paypal link yourself (www.paypal.com)

android

One of the Regulars
Scam! Don't ever log in or access an account using links in email. Always type it in or use a *bookmarked link and verify the https URL in your address bar.

If there's ever a real problem with your account, you will be notified when you log in.

*Booksmarks are not 100% secure. Some spyware programs have changed bookmarks to point to scam sights. But if you run a tight system, that shouldn't happen.

SpykiE

New in Town
Definitely all good info. I recently (about a month ago) received an email from Providian credit card services (or someone claiming to be Providian). I have an ebay card through them and the email stated that their systems had gone down (or something along those lines) and they had lost my account information. (really really lame, i mean anyone could do better than that shite!) The first small detail that tipped me off that it was a scam was #1: it didn't even say my name, it said dear and then a nickname, #2: it had a link in the email which I cut and pasted into my web address (and it was a very believeable providian website replica), and #3: which I've stated already, Providian, Paypal, your bank, etc, will NEVER email you asking for your account information EVER! Right there is a red flagged scam! Not to mention the various other poor attempts to get you to enter your personal information such as social security #, checking account #, etc etc...Rule of thumb, at least from my experiences, if it is important enough, YOU WILL RECEIVE A CALL ABOUT IT! or will find out the next time once you log into your account.
Hope we all offered you some helpful and insightful information, stay safe and protected, it's a criminals' paradise out there for electronic fraud, and if a few friends can prevent one or two or three more people from becoming victim to those circumstances, then we just dramatically decreased those criminals chances.....or at least in my opinion that's what I think...

Brad

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
it's spam. I fell for it and had to cancel a credit card and make a new password to protect my account. Now I'm super suspisious of everything. Paypal always states your name and will never ask you for your credit card information, except when you are entering it in when you are already signed in.

Mycroft

One Too Many
It looks to be a scam, since it says "Dear PayPal valued member," without capitalizing the vauled or memeber, I'd check that out against other payapal letters. Also, I have heard payapal is not very honest with many of their dealings.

SpykiE

New in Town
Yeah, I've read many horry stories (if you could call them that) about paypal.....but that's another rant for another day perhaps...

Brad

SpykiE

New in Town
If you really want to read some information about paypal, simply go to google and type in 'paypal fraud' or 'paypal horror stories'. Or simply click this link:

www.paypalwarning.com

This site talks about paypal's unfair and illegal business practices, as well as lists actual accounts from people that have experienced many issues while dealing with paypal. I will say this right now, I am not completely sure if any if the stories and what-not on the site are real or rumor, but I will say this....It is a very interesting read and can certainly benefit rather than hurt...

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran