Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PHISHING SCAM--READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!

shortbrim

New in Town
I received an official looking email from PAYPAL stating I had purchased something from ebay. Obviously, I had not purchased that particular item. The email stated that if the purchase was in error I could connect to a certain link where I was asked to LOG IN TO PAYPAL, which I did, then the new page asked for my address, phone number, credit card number, and Social Security number: Well, I logged in but something stopped me as I started to fill in the credit card info. and I looked at the address bar. No PAYPAL address!

BEFORE FILLING OUT ANY REQUEST FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT IT IS NOT A SCAM.....and if it is, report it to PAYPAL.:rage:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I think it was Nick Danger who started a similar thread as this one. Anything fishy..just delete it! Hopefully people have enough common sense not to give out that kind of information!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I think, if you read the terms, it says pay pal will never send you an email asking for your password, or any personal information.

Since you did log in to that e-mail, I suggest you contact pay pal and change your account and pass word.

I get these kind e-mails at least once a day. I just delete them.

I have also received similar ones pretending to be eBay.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
If you get an email from somebody you don't know consider it a scam. Never click on a link, even if it's a company you've done business with. That's the only way to truly safeguard your information.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anytime you get an email supposedly from Ebay or PayPal, don't click on any link in the email. Go to either site directly and log on to your account. If the message is legitimate, a copy will be there. I will say this much - in all the years I've used both, I have NEVER received an email from them regarding my account. Those that I have received have been scams.

As Shortbrim points out, if you hover your cursor over a link in the email, you'll usually see that it's not a paypal.com address the link will take you to.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
I think it was Nick Danger who started a similar thread as this one. Anything fishy..just delete it! Hopefully people have enough common sense not to give out that kind of information!

Yep, yep! I got something very similar. :mad: I forwarded it to paypal's fraud reporting link.

maisie

Practically Family
Also on Paypal and when signing into ebay it should have 'https://' before the address and on the 'real' ebay it say this when loging in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24