Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was there a gangster story in your family???

My Great-Grandfather ran a Speakeasy on Clark St. in Milwaukee, and his sister ran one a few blocks over. I can't remember all the details. They had a secret knock to get in, and one time they got busted and My Great-Grandpa and all the patrons were against the door to keep the cops out.

His father in law owned a big trucking company as well at this time that he worked for. While making a run to Chicago, people were honking and pointing at him, he looked back to notice that his truck's cargo area was on fire! Not gangster related, but a fun 1920s story.

My Great-Grandmother and Grandfather on my Ma's side once got caught between gangster fighting in Chicago. They were shooting machine guns from car to car, and my great-grandparents' car was caught in the middle. Great-Grandma ducked down to protect herself, and her fur.

JPH

Familiar Face
This will be told by my wife, as it involves her family:

GrandDad (Mom's father) was born and raised in Chicago. His buddies growing up later became high-ranking members of Capone's gang; most notably, his best friend was Frank Nitty. GrandDad was not involved directly with gang activity himself, but his buddies apparently kept him loosely connected, nevertheless. Gran used to tell of a date they went on to a local illegal distillery. When it was raided, GrandDad led her thru a hidden tunnel to a safe house where they made good their escape. I guess he knew how to show her a good time!

GrandDad also spent an unknown number of evenings dining with his childhood buddies and their boss (Scarface himself). Gran spoke very little about this, as the family generally believes that it led to his kidnapping by Touhy (sic?) and being held for $10,000 ransom. The police were contacted and set a watch on the money drop, but the gang managed to grab the loot anyway. I wonder how much the cop was paid to look away? Anyway, GrandDad was released safe and sound.

I never met GrandDad, though I understand he was quite a character; he died of a heart attack 9 years before I was born. Gran was quite something herself, I'll never forget her laugh and how happy everyone always was to see her. I still miss her.

The Wife

Tripnastic

New in Town
My dad would do the odd delivery type job for a know criminal type here. I remember going over to "Uncle Ciro's" house when I was growing up and it was so big and nice, pool, guest house, marble everything. When I asked my dad what Uncle John did he said "He's a plumber". For the longest time I grew up wanting to be a plumber because I thought they were rich!! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner