Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was there such thing as comfy clothes???

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Hi all.
So the forties and fifties were all about looking gooood right??
But what about comfort?
What did the ladies wear when they were slopping about round the house, or having a cosy night in on the couch?
As a matter of fact what was their bed attire? Does anyone have any pics?
Can anyone enlighten me?

Anwen

New in Town
I think house dresses were popular - they seem to have been generally cotton, often cheerful prints, a little 'roomier' than the average going-out type dress presumably to allow for a wider range of motion when scrubbing floors/washing windows etc. Jersey/knit fabrics such as tend to be popular in 'comfy' clothes today weren't really very widely available I don't think. I don't think the average 1940s housewife had a lot of time for slobbing around the house, by the sound of it they were working most of the time.

ETA - by "going-out dress" I don't necessarily mean evening dresses, I'm also including the types of dress you might wear if you were going out of the house to run errands and wanted to look smarter than you would in a working dress.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Anwen said:
I. Jersey/knit fabrics such as tend to be popular in 'comfy' clothes today weren't really very widely available I don't think.
At least in the fifties, jersey was not uncommon. At least half of the patterns in my vintage pattern collection suggest using jersey as a fabric for dresses and several dresses in Fashions of the Fifties As Seen in the Sears Catalog are jersey. However, they are just as structured as woven dresses and require the same undergarments.

Anwen

New in Town
kamikat said:
At least in the fifties, jersey was not uncommon. At least half of the patterns in my vintage pattern collection suggest using jersey as a fabric for dresses and several dresses in Fashions of the Fifties As Seen in the Sears Catalog are jersey. However, they are just as structured as woven dresses and require the same undergarments.

Ah, well there you go! *jealous of your collection* I think jersey was a bit stiffer then, as well, maybe? I have a 60s jersey dress and it's not much stretchier than a comparable-weight woven dress would have been.

I think that, for the most part, slobbing around wasn't the done thing, even at home.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Level of comfort in those times was completely different then what we understand now.

I would imagine not wearing your girdle and stockings, but just a day dress was their equivalent to a t shirt and sweats. I know wool jersey was big in the 30s, and so were those kitchenette dresses, cotton dresses with box cuts were the daily wear in the 40s, and I would think pants, capris and such were the big comfort markers in the 50s.

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Anwen said:
Ah, well there you go! *jealous of your collection* I think jersey was a bit stiffer then, as well, maybe? I have a 60s jersey dress and it's not much stretchier than a comparable-weight woven dress would have been.
Different knits have differing amounts of stretch. A wool double knit is almost as stable as a woven and wool jersey has less stretch than cotton jersey. Also, matte jersey, typically used in modern clothing for wrap dresses, are pretty stable with less stretch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A cotton button-front housedress was remarkably comfortable -- as noted, they were cut to allow maximum freedom of motion for housework, and a properly-fitting one is about as restrictive as a bathrobe.

Likewise, the sort of shoes the average housewife wore for chore-doing had a low, broad heel and arch support -- and if properly fitted and well-broken in would be comparable in comfort to a pair of sneakers.

The classic comic-strip image of a "lazy housewife" from the Era would show her slopping around in a housecoat -- sort of a bathroby thing with a zipper front -- and carpet slippers, with hair up in a babushka or hairnet, a cigarette drooping from her lips and one hand reaching out to a box of chocolates. Needless to say, this wasn't a favorable image.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You can't compare their comfort wear to ours, really - It's the same as comparing their day wear. As said, they wore girdles, garter belts, stockings, and heels, so taking those off and wearing a cotton or jersey dress would be as comfortable to us as pyjamas.

Also, foundation garments are terribly uncomfortable to us because we do not wear them. Girdles were the norm, and I imagine they were worn from an early age, so their bodies conformed and became used to them.
As a matter of fact, foundation garments were awfully restricting to me when I began wearing them, but now I find I don't stand or wear clothes properly without them. Taking them off is no longer a whoosh of relief, but still pretty nice after a long day :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If you consider the eras preceding theirs and the undergarments or layers of clothing they possessed they were incredibly comforatable! Even the 20s, contrary to popular belief, had stiff foundations for most everyone- not many gals possessed the boyish figure that was in style so most everyone had rigid undergarments of some kind.
I would love a pair of 20s lounging pjs, though. THOSE look comfy! :D

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
My Mom was born in 1940. As the oldest, she remembers a lot about how chores were done. Laundry was a 3 day event. Day 1, wash the clothes (the washer was on the porch and had a hand wringer, hello!). Day 2, still drying the clothes on the line. Day 3, IRON everything. Don't forget that dinner had to be made and all of it from scratch. No instant potatoes or TV dinners. Then there was bathing the kids, checking homework, making sure my uncle didn't try to burn the mark of Zorro into the furniture :rolleyes: , the usual. I don't think there was much lounging time at hand.

I don't have any pics of my Gram in a house dress. I do recall some casual photos of her and her sisters in shirtwaist dresses (really from the eyebrows down they looked terrific) with their hair set and wrapped in bandanas. I know she wore trousers at home with little button down blouses, but never in public. I think from the 50's on, she lived in her Dearfoam open toe slippers at home.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, i will now research the kind of trousers they wore.
I am thinking about trying vintage 24/7 for a project and am having panics about not being able to wear my trackpants!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Clothing is more comfortable if it isn't too tight. So, if you get a few things that are roomy and soft fabrics they will be comfortable. They also had lounging pajamas for wear at home.

Jersey was actually popular from the 1920's on. There was a big jersey knit dress or skirt/top craze for college girls in the 1920's. Being wool, these outfits are likely no longer around. I have a wool jersey 40's dress though that is comfy.

Sweats also did exist. I have never seen a photo of anyone wearing them, except athletes at meets, but they were certainly around. These would be the kind with drawstring waist and elasticated ankles, and the classic type of sweatshirt.

I have tons of photos of my family casually dressed with ladies in slacks, shorts and knitwear from the 1920's to 1940's.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lauren said:
I would love a pair of 20s lounging pjs, though. THOSE look comfy! :D

:arated:

Me too. I love these deco inspired lounging pajamas Sue Carol is wearing.

SCarol2pcsm.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
You know what I've always wanted?

A "lounging" set from the 50's. I don't know how comfy it was, but it looks fantastic. It's the skinny pants under those fitted jackets that burst into a huge floor length skirt in the back.

Lucille Ball wears them in the movie "Forever Darling" when she's having breakfast with Desi on the patio. I can't find an image to post!

Now that I think about it, I just want the entire movie wardrobe! :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
A "lounging" set from the 50's. I don't know how comfy it was, but it looks fantastic. It's the skinny pants under those fitted jackets that burst into a huge floor length skirt in the back.

Then I know you'll love this thread :) Great pictures!

cecil

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
I have tons of photos of my family casually dressed with ladies in slacks, shorts and knitwear from the 1920's to 1940's.

This photo on Flickr is one of my favourites:

3368844307_6032b5954a.jpg

Au naturale...

Cut has been mentioned here, but don't forget that fiber makes a world of difference. Up until the advent of nylon in hte late 40's, everythign was made from natural fibers which breath better than synthetics. (Yes, rayon is a natural fiber too).

Linen and silk were both commonly used for leisure clothing and sportswear as well as very fine woolens.

I am always more comfy in natural fibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR