Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch a fur felt Stetson get made

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
So I'm watching Discovery Channel Canada (being Canadian and all, eh?) and there's a show I love called "How It's Made" and guess what they were showing? A Stetson hat from start to finish. It is just wicked to watch how they do it and all the work that is involved.

Searched YouTube and sure enough there is it. It's in two parts, the first part also include part of the previous item (has to do with heart monitors) so skip ahead to 3:50 in to get to where the Stetson starts. The second part is all Stetson. Hope you enjoy.

Part 1 (skip to 3:50):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpqaKCOe7s&feature=related

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKwKxhFlW4

CRH

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Especially the part where she machine-stitched in the sweatband in about 10 seconds. It took me over an hour to do that by hand. :rolleyes:

By hand :rolleyes:? I thought you used a tool :eusa_doh: . You need a bigger tool lol.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Okay.

'By hand,' I meant sans electric sewing machine. Yes, I did use a stitich awl, but it was still by hand. Instead of holding a sewing needle in my hand, I held a wooden handle that held the needle. To me, that's by hand.

Now, about the size of my tool . . . :eek:fftopic: :D

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Thank you for the link! I had someone tape that episode for me, but they missed the first portion of the show. I looked all over for a link to the program and here it is!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
That was really interesting - and evidence that hats do NOT need to be treated like they're made of glass. Quite a bit of vigorous handling involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR