Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

Feraud

Bartender
No apology necessary!
While I've heard the term before I struggled to recall if it was an old term or something coined by modern writers. I was sure it was recent but am thrilled to see the OED reference.

Another Fedora Lounge case file closed. lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
No apology necessary!
While I've heard the term before I struggled to recall if it was an old term or something coined by modern writers. I was sure it was recent but am thrilled to see the OED reference.

Another Fedora Lounge case file closed. lol

Dun-dee-dun-dun-duuuuuun...

I'm thrilled to find out just how old that term is. It's nice to know that my suspicions were correct.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
No Owners Manual

My wife surprised me with a nice Waltham pocket watch several weeks back and I got hold of an old gold filled Krementz watch chain. I'd kind of like to get a Double Albert...but this is what I have at this point. It is a little different than what I have seen thus far. Appears, to me, to be a pocket watch chain for attachment to the belt or belt loop. The things that have me a bit puzzled are 1) the watch attachment, and 2) the length of the chain. I've attached the watch by looping the one end through as seen in the second photo. The chain, itself, seems to be very long for a belt attachment...it is roughly 17 inches from one end to the other, without the extra six inches available for the watch attachment loop (which means 17 inches in length when hooked up as I did in the photo). Am I on course here...or am I missing something?

Bernie

chain1.jpg

chain2.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It is possible that it isn't a watch-chain at all. I've never seen one like that...but what do I know...

If it IS a watch-chain, then the flat, metallic clip on the left (with the gold tab underneath it) goes between the belt and your trousers and it clips onto your BELT from behind, that way, the pulling of the chain doesn't yank the clip out of your belt.

If that's the case, then the watch is hooked on like you suggest, and the watch would be placed into the watch-pocket of your trousers...

...Only...I'm not sure if this is actually a watch-chain. On a chain, the watch-bow is clipped onto a teardrop-shaped swivel-clip, not hung from a loop of chain like it is here.

The length of the chain doesn't bother me. Unless you suffer from dwarfism, a watch-chain that's designed to be clipped to one's trousers instead of one's coat or waistcoat, is going to be a bit longer than average, due to the um...extra distance...that it needs to cover between your waistband and a comfortable reading-level.

I'm confused! To me, it's a total oddity.

And I also noticed your pocket-watch has been re-cased.

Oh and uh...good luck finding a Double Albert chain! I've been after one for ages, but their prices are skyrocketing through the roof!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
XPLSV said:
I got hold of an old gold filled Krementz watch chain.
Where did you acquire the chain? The smaller chain does not look original to the set. It may actually be a key chain. Just guessin'

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso, I think your guess is probably more correct than mine. I just don't see this being a watch-chain.

Plus, it being a key-chain would explain why it's of greater length, so as to reach the lock...maybe.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
I picked the chain up off OFAS. It was still in the original Krementz box, along with the warranty slip, which detailed info on the Krementz process for 14Kt Gold Overlay jewelry...but it had nothing on the specific purpose of the chain. The seller had it listed as a pocket watch chain, which I took for granted, but started having questions after it arrived. Given the look and arrangment of the box, I'm guessing this is in original condition and was not used much, if ever. Right now, I'm thinking the key chain suggestion might be the best bet.

The watch, BTW, is a Waltham model 1908, made in 1918. 17 jewel...nice condition inside and keeps very accurate time. Not Railroad grade by any means...but is in nice condition. It has a B&B Royal 20 year case--really couldn't say that this isn't the original case that was paired with the move: they were manufactured by different companies back then and typically purchased separately. I initially was surprised to see a stem at 3:00 and not have a hunter style case, but quickly found quite a few of these Waltham "sidewinders" from that era that were the same open case design.

Bernie

Feraud

Bartender
I am sure this is a necklace.
Look at the belt loop attachment on the left. It looks like an afterthought added later not in keeping with the aesthetic of the chain. The metals look mis-matched. Also, the photo doesn't clearly show it but the belt loop attachment looks..."off".
See the small length of chain? That is a necklace safety chain.
After you close the chain clasp you also attach the safety. If the clasp opens you will not lose the chain. I've seen these before.
A key chain would have a slightly larger loop to hold keys. I have a few vintage keychains and they do not use tiny necklace clasps.
XPLSV said:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think Feraud's right. That said, there are lots of places online where you can buy cheap, gold-plated T-bar watch-chains (to wear with a waistcoat) or ring-clip/belt-clip chains (to wear with trousers). Or you can search eBay to find a proper antique/vintage chain instead.

Feraud

Bartender
^ Agreed. There are plenty of affordable watch chains to be found on ebay.

I would make a present of that chain to the wife (remove that belt hook of course) and find something on the bay.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
^ Agreed. There are plenty of affordable watch chains to be found on ebay.

Almost nobody wears pocket-watches regularly anymore (except me!), so I reckon that most chains would go cheap, unless they're solid gold, then the seller will try and squeeze every drop of money out of it that he can...*sigh*

I would make a present of that chain to the wife (remove that belt hook of course) and find something on the bay.

Sounds like a beautiful idea, Feraud!

Elgin1924

New in Town
Almost nobody wears pocket-watches regularly anymore (except me!), so I reckon that most chains would go cheap, unless they're solid gold, then the seller will try and squeeze every drop of money out of it that he can...*sigh*
Well, I have seen plenty of women wearing Double-Albert chains as necklaces over here... though rarely antique ones.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Double-Albert necklace thing originated during the First World War. Men used to take their pocket-watches with them off to the front, but their womenfolk used to keep the long, (and expensive) gold watch-chains as momentos and wore them as necklaces around their necks to make sure they weren't lost.

Talbot

One Too Many
Another watch chain question

, and a story comes with it (apologies Damon Runyon).

I recently managed to break my upper left arm. Did rather a good job of it if I say so myself (the physio agrees). Anyway, wristwatches are bit painful at the moment due to swelling of the lower arm and wrist etc, so I have dusted off my old (and only) fob watch.

Its not an important item, just a nameless working mans unit with a stanless steel case. I have some attachment to it as it was the first old watch I bought as a callow youth back in the mid 70's.

My question is - what kind of chain should I use?

P1010812.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tally!!

The type of chain you should use depends on where you're going to wear it.

Suit-jacket breast-pocket - Albert chain or leather watch-fob.
Dress/business-shirt pocket - Albert chain.
Waistcoat watch-pocket - Double Albert or Albert watch-chain.
Trousers watch-pocket (hooked to belt) - Belt-hook/belt-clip chain.
Trousers watch-pocket (clipped to belt-loop) - Ring-clip chain.

Has the watch been serviced and checked recently? If not, it may not keep great time.

Talbot

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Hi Tally!!

Has the watch been serviced and checked recently? If not, it may not keep great time.

Funny you mention it mate. I serviced it when I got it in '74 and it's still running strong. Its losing about 5 min each day, so some shop time is probably in order.

Wouldn't want to do anything premature though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner