Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
So my pocket watch will be returning from Girard's for repair soon (anyone have experience with them before--I know one Lounger has; they recommended Girard's to me, but I forgot their name), and I'm debating chains. I want to wear it with my dress outfits (2/3 of a 3 piece suit, a DB sportcoat w/o a waistcoat, and a SB sport coat w/o a waistcoat), and casual clothes (usually jeans or chino shorts and a dress shirt). For the dress clothes, I assume a simple single chain and T-bar setup that can attach to the lapel, or the buttonhole on the waistcoat when I'm in the 3 piece. And for casual wear, it's a spring loaded loop and single chain that attaches to my belt loop and into my pocket. Is this right; I need one of each type?

Thanks,

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
For wearing a pocket watch with a coat or jacket, it's best placed in the breast-pocket. You'll need an Albert chain or a pocket-watch fob-strap to keep it attached to the lapel buttonhole.

If you're wearing a pocket-watch with a waistcoat, an Albert or Double Albert is the usual choice.

If you're wearing a pocket-watch with trousers, a spring-ring chain is best. Some might suggest fob-straps, but without an actual attachment-point to your clothes, the watch could fall out and break.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I do the same, Shangus, though I've never practiced the lapel hole carry myself. I either wear a vest or a pair of trousers with a pocket under a suitcoat. My watches tend to fall out of a breast pocket when I've tried that. I guess I lean over too much. (grins)

I have an Albert for my vests, but a spring ring chain for my trousers, and they vary in make and length....though I find a 7 inch chain to work best for me in that respect.

Regards! Michaelson

Feraud

Bartender
If you're wearing a pocket-watch with a waistcoat, an Albert or Double Albert is the usual choice.

Would I be beating a dead horse to mention the term "Albert" is a very modern and and informal way to describe double chains? In addition, to use the term to describe a single chain is straight up misnomer.

I am usually not this pedantic but the Lounge is a place were tend to correct sartorial and related misconceptions. If we give as much attention to correcting the myth that Kennedy killed the hat then this subject deserves a chance.

Someone has to champion the lowly watch chain. ;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
What is your source of information on that, Feraud? Every reference I've read to date, and I'm a member of two watch collecting groups, has always refered to them as single or double Albert chains. [huh]

Just curious, and always willing to learn something new.

Regards !Michaelson

Feraud

Bartender
My comments are based on what I've seen listed in catalogs. There are interesting descriptions for various chain styles but nothing referred to as the "Albert style".
I realize the term refers to a double chain worn apparently in the style of Prince Albert. The latest reference to a single chain as a “single Albert” is puzzling.
I’ve tried to find an early reference to the Albert style but cannot.
Would any of the watch collectors know of an early reference or is the term simply a colloquial one? I am thinking the latter.
I usually try not to dwell on semantics too much but I love this subject (watch chains) and would love to know the earliest use of this term. :)

I wonder if the OED has an entry for the term..

Michaelson

One Too Many
Excellent question! That's one I'll put to the collectors forum and see if I can get an answer of some sort!

I'm with you there, my friend! The discussion of horology has always fascinated me.

Regards! Michaelson

Feraud

Bartender
I am sure that is the case.
Similar to the Bash discussion I am trying to pin down when this term became prevalent. I am sure, but willing to learn otherwise, this is a recent term (no more than a decade or so..) and probably after the rise of Ebay. I do not recall flea markets or antique shops using the term in the late 80s+ when I started collecting.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Everything that I ever learnt, read or studied about pocket-watches taught me that the T-bar chains were called the Albert and Double Albert and that "Albert" was Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria. How *old* this term is, I've no idea, but given that it's named after someone who died 150 years ago, I'd assume it's been around for a considerably long period of time.

Of course if you find something that says otherwise, post it here and re-educate us.

Feraud

Bartender
Shangas said:
Everything that I ever learnt, read or studied about pocket-watches taught me that the T-bar chains were called the Albert and Double Albert and that "Albert" was Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria. How *old* this term is, I've no idea, but given that it's named after someone who died 150 years ago, I'd assume it's been around for a considerably long period of time.

Of course if you find something that says otherwise, post it here and re-educate us.

Re-educate? I am asking you to post your sources for the claim. If you think the terms have been around longer than a decade or so please post something from those sources your say you've read and studied?
Saying, "I read it somewhere" is no proof the term is as old as Albert himself. Which is what I believe you are implying.

I do not need to post proof because I do not think the term for a watch chain is "Single Albert", etc. So.. there are no old sources to reference. That would be like trying to reference Roman writings to prove they didn't use the word computer or laptop, etc.

It's put up time.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not saying it hasn't, I'm just saying that every source I've read mentions them as Albert chains and I've never noticed anything to the contrary. Whether or not this is a recent thing, I can't comment. I merely said that if you could show that it was a recent naming convention, to show where it said so, since this claim is totally new to me.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Oh - I didn't realise! Sorry, I thought it was an open access site. I work at a University, so we must have an account with OED. I don't know what the login is. I'll cut and paste instead. I won't doctor the quotes, honest! ;)

1. A kind of watch-chain.
1861 Daily Rev. (Edinburgh) 16 Dec. 4/5 (Advt.), Rings, Eardrops, Albert and Guard Chains. 1865 DICKENS Let. 22 Apr. (1880) II. 228 What's an Albert chain? 1883 Daily News 5 Feb. 3/4 Stealing..a silver watch and Albert chain. Mod. Advt. Lost, a gold albert with two seals. 1922 JOYCE Ulysses 431 Wearing gent's sterling silver waterbury keyless watch and double curb Albert with seal attached.

:eek:

Hey! 15 posts at last!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR