Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh my...oh my my my my my...Hattrick, you have just made me the most jealous young man in this entire forum!

WHY MUST PEOPLE HAVE NICER POCKET WATCHES THAN ME!?

CliffG

One of the Regulars
watch chain and belt buckle same type metal?

Hi, I have tried to search the existing forums to find the answer to my question, but I have had no luck, so her it goes.
If I have a pocket watch chain that is gold and my belt buckle is silver, and I am not wearing a waist coat or vest that covers the belt buckle, am I making a major fashion mistake?
I asked my wife, she said in a woman's world yes, but in a mans it would be acceptable, she pointed out my glasses were silver and my wedding ring is gold.
I am not wearing any of my clothing at any place super fancy, just to work, and at work the dress code is rather undefined, but occasionally some one comes from corporate and they act like junior high school girls and point out every fashion mistake from shoes to hair...yes I have been successful at controlling my junior high school urge to loosen a few of their teeth, so I figure the best way to whip them is to out dress them. (which leads to the story of how I found this forum)
the reason I ask is I have 4 belts that have silver buckles, and one with gold, I have my eye on a super nifty watch that has a gold chain and case.
anyway, I appreciate your help.
I guess if I know in advance I would just wear the gold belt buckle, but if I am caught off guard...
Thanks,
Cliff

Geesie

Practically Family
It's an often suggested rule, but if you don't want to or can't buy gold and silver watches and chains nobody is going to care.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
No vest/waistcoat, so I infer that you will carry the watch in the pocket of your trousers with the chain attached to a belt loop or to the belt itself. I am also guessing that you will not be wearing your jacket when Corporate pays the next visit.

With these two articles exposed and juxtaposed so closely, IMHO it is indeed important that the chain and the belt buckle be well-coordinated, viz.: similar color and finish, harmonizing design, etc.

Cliff, Bear in mind that wearing a watch in this way draws a lot of attention to your waist area. So it is very important that (1) your trousers sit at the proper height (belly button or higher), (2) they are not too tight at the waist so the waistband doesn't wrinkle or fold over, (3) the pleats in front must be fresh and smooth, with no horizontal wrinkles from sitting at your desk. (4) Your tie must be the correct length (ending exactly at the waist). Finally, (5) your shirt must be carefully tucked, with just the right amount of blouse at the waist.

I hope this is helpful. It is clear that Corporate believes that fashion, style and grooming are very important and they will surely notice all of these details. Show them that you can dress as well or better than they can.

Let us know how the next "inspection" visit from Corporate goes for you. Good luck, Cliff!

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I think the best bet is to wear a jacket and make sure I go the extra distance to be dressed correctly.
I am working hard on improving my apearance and have gaind a lot of great information from this forum.
Jobs are tough to get and keep, I have been lucky so far and I want to continue on that way.
Thanks again wolfmanjack
Cliff

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
My Perfect Watch Fob and Chain...

I plan on getting another pocket watch soon probably an Elgin. But in my search I thought to look up gold in quartz jewlery then watch fobs...and I found this...

1209862738_100-1-1290.jpg

Seven three-sided gold in quartz inlayed links set in rose gold with the original matching T-bar and a gold nugget for good luck. Rarer than hens teeth.

That right there is the most beautiful pocket watch chain and fob I have ever seen thats not even counting that it is made with gold in quartz topped off with a nugget! I gasped when I saw it...

AND FOR ONLY $12,750.00

And Another one - Same Company Same Price...

1209862738_100-1-1291.jpg

Same Price as the one Above...

http://www.langantiques.com/search/Gold,in,Quartz/6/list_view/high/page-1

And I found another one...less nice but still nice.

GoldNQuartz1.jpg

"This interesting and highly collectible “Prince Albert” style watch chain and fob is now on display in our Estate department. Though we have no direct provenance, because of the appearance and quality of the gem inlays and fob plus the fine craftsmanship, we’re pretty sure the piece is of California gold-in-quartz set in karat gold, manufactured in the last half of the 19th century."

No price...

I guesss I could just have one made...with some of the specimen gold I have. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Bugsy

One Too Many
FinalVestige79 said:
I plan on getting another pocket watch soon probably an Elgin. But in my search I thought to look up gold in quartz jewlery then watch fobs...and I found this...

1209862738_100-1-1290.jpg

Seven three-sided gold in quartz inlayed links set in rose gold with the original matching T-bar and a gold nugget for good luck. Rarer than hens teeth.

That right there is the most beautiful pocket watch chain and fob I have ever seen thats not even counting that it is made with gold in quartz topped off with a nugget! I gasped when I saw it...

AND FOR ONLY $12,750.00

What a steal!! Go for it!!!
;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I finally found something to go on the other end of my double albert. I want an aide memoire, but failing that I wanted a locket. This locket was in a box of my grandma's old jewelry. It contains a picture of my grandpa from 1949 when the city was holding a beard competition for the centennial. The watch chain I made myself.

DSC02990.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Hey Nick,

That's a very interesting chain. You say you made it yourself? How?

I made all the links with wire and a metal dowel, then wove them with pliers. This particular weave is often known as byzantine. The clasps were salvaged from modern watch chains I had lying about, though I'll get proper swivel hooks when I make another one. If I were to use this size wire again, I think I would make the links a little smaller around.

The watch and chain belonging to Charlotte Bronte's husband is on display in Haworth, and sections of it use the same weave, but with links about 1/10th the size. Very, very small work.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I saw The Last Station the other night. Notice the watch chain rigged to Christopher Plummer's shirt button. I think it's a pretty cool look.

the_last_station17.jpg

Though I can't seem to find any pics of Tolstoy actually wearing his watch that way.

JimWagner

Practically Family
You'd likely wear it that way with bib overalls. If you were a locomotive engineer. :) Note the strategically placed button hole.

sw2004_2_13b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24